1. #1

    How do i fix hardware issues so i can run linux properly?

    Ok so i have linux mint 10. I used to have ubuntu 12.04 or w/e but i could NOT click anywhere unless i ran failsafex. upon download linux mint 10, the same problem happened. My friend says that i have hardware issues but he doesn't know how i would fix this.
    I never had these problems on windows 7 which came along with my pc.
    any help?

  2. #2
    Could you give some details of what hardware you are using, maybe run a lspci and lsusb and post the output?

    We need more info, ie is this a laptop, desktop, toaster, do you use a mouse or a touchpad? I assume you can move the pointer but just can't click stuff?
    I solo MMO's. Yeh, so sue me

  3. #3
    Pandaren Monk skatblast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,933
    If your using linux your pretty much on your own as far as troubleshooting. Should have just kept using windows 7 if you dont know what your doing.

  4. #4
    To be perfectly honest, if you can't google up for "brand and model of your computer" + "linux" then linux is not for you.

    Linux is really poorly documented, and every single question has the same answer: google and pray
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    To be perfectly honest, if you can't google up for "brand and model of your computer" + "linux" then linux is not for you.

    Linux is really poorly documented, and every single question has the same answer: google and pray
    Who says that? Distrubutions like ubuntu is nowadays really easier than Windows..

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Who says that? Distrubutions like ubuntu is nowadays really easier than Windows..
    Except when you run into problems like the OP does. Then you're on your own, and have to rely on google for everything.

    And Ubuntu asks more questions during installation than Win8 so I wouldn't call it easier even when it works without a hitch.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,292
    there is extensive documentation, such as for distros like Arch, but if things dont work you generally need to solve them on your own or compile your own build

    i know this isnt the answer OP is looking for, but linux is still not ready for mainstream use
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-11-10 at 08:12 AM.

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Except when you run into problems like the OP does. Then you're on your own, and have to rely on google for everything.

    And Ubuntu asks more questions during installation than Win8 so I wouldn't call it easier even when it works without a hitch.
    Hmm Installing ubuntu is even easier than you think. I didn't get any "complicated" questions during the installation of Ubuntu or Gnome. Exactly the same as Windows though. The operating system was very very limited against Windows control.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    there is extensive documentation, such as for distros like Arch, but if things dont work you generally need to solve them on your own or compile your own build

    i know this isnt the answer OP is looking for, but linux is still not ready for mainstream use
    No idea from where you got that from but Linux is a lot easier you'd expect. Nowadays you have proper driver support and drivers for linux or even special for ubuntu or whatever distrubution.

    I know a lot of normal people who aren't dedicated with PC's are using ubuntu. Ubuntu is really made for using it for home pc's.

  9. #9
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    No idea from where you got that from but Linux is a lot easier you'd expect. Nowadays you have proper driver support and drivers for linux or even special for ubuntu or whatever distrubution.

    I know a lot of normal people who aren't dedicated with PC's are using ubuntu. Ubuntu is really made for using it for home pc's.
    i use it on a daily basis, compared to windows, its still 10 years behind in user friendlyness and general compatibility

    if you are a tech, linux is fine, but there are even things that i haven't figured out with linux, for example, running both AMD and Nvidia drivers causes all distros of linux to freeze during boot

    also, the fact that nvidia drivers still need to be installed via a multistep process in terminal is pretty good evidence its not ready for average joe
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-11-11 at 03:18 AM.

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Who says that? Distrubutions like ubuntu is nowadays really easier than Windows..
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Ubuntu asks more questions during installation than Win8 so I wouldn't call it easier even when it works without a hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Ubuntu is really made for using it for home pc's.
    I personally find Hiren / Mint easier to work with, install, and maintenance than Ubuntu.
    Or did I miss something? O.o;;

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •