Running (pressing L3) while Playing COD on PS3 makes thumb hurt / feel strange

Hey,

When i play call of duty for some time, my left thumb starts hurting and feeling strange. I think it is because of the constant pressing of the L3 button for running (the one that requires you to press down the analogue stick).

I wanted to rearrange button setup, but the options do not allow it. Whatever button setup i chose, running is either on L3 or R3 (left or right stick pressing down). The games (tried mw3 and blops) do not allow individual button setup (i would have put running on triangle button and switching weapon on the d-pad somewhere).

Is there a way to change how this works? Can i individually assign what each button does on ps3 for the cod games somehow? (or maybe switch buttons in the ps3 system settings somewhere?).

Does anyone else here also experience this feeling of discomfort / slight pain when overusing the buttons beneath the analogue sticks on ps3?

Most of you will probably tell me to play with mouse and keyboard, but i prefer the controller. The only problem i have is the button setup and those damned L3/R3 buttons.

I also found a gamepad that adds extra buttons. They add extra triggers behind the controller, but those are quite expansive (~150€ @ scufgaming.com) and i am too poor and don't really want to spend that much money just for a single game.

What do you others who share my problem do (i assume you exist xD)?

Get a controller the same size and layout as the 360s? Playstation dual-axis controllers hurt my hands.

Of course I have a large callus over the second knuckle of my middle finger of my left hand (it brushes the pointer finger) because of holding down the thumbstick to run :P

I know on the 360 you can change your button settings, I imagine you can do it on the PS3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Get a controller the same size and layout as the 360s? Playstation dual-axis controllers hurt my hands.

Of course I have a large callus over the second knuckle of my middle finger of my left hand (it brushes the pointer finger) because of holding down the thumbstick to run :P

I know on the 360 you can change your button settings, I imagine you can do it on the PS3 as well.
    Don't have problems with other games in which i don't have to use the L3 / R3 buttons constantly, so i don't think it's the size that is the problem, but maybe i should just try. A different angle for the thumb might make the difference here, not sure.

about the button settings: i have found how you can change between several preset setups like "standard, lefty, tactical, ...". All of these have the sprint function either on the L3 or R3 button. But i have not found an option that allows you to assign a certain function to any button, or a button to any function.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is as you guess, most likely the constant pressure on your thumb. It happens a bit when you play a game and constantly have to hold down a button. (Hell dark souls made me do it, stupid run button...).

To be honest, even with the change, instead of having your left thumb feeling awkward, it'll be your right thumb. Best thing is to just stop playing a bit or somehow change how you play, also 'try' and use less pressure when pushing the button.

I tried to change it as well mate but mine was with the scope and the movement... i dont think you can change it and you stuck with it..
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    Don't have problems with other games in which i don't have to use the L3 / R3 buttons constantly, so i don't think it's the size that is the problem, but maybe i should just try. A different angle for the thumb might make the difference here, not sure.

about the button settings: i have found how you can change between several preset setups like "standard, lefty, tactical, ...". All of these have the sprint function either on the L3 or R3 button. But i have not found an option that allows you to assign a certain function to any button, or a button to any function.
    I wonder if maybe the strength required to hold the button down on PS3 controllers is different than the ones on 360 controllers? I know my hands start to hurt after a while, but its generally more my trigger finger and the place where I have the callus instead of my thumbs, and I sprint around maps spraying like a 'tard a lot of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I wonder if maybe the strength required to hold the button down on PS3 controllers is different than the ones on 360 controllers? I know my hands start to hurt after a while, but its generally more my trigger finger and the place where I have the callus instead of my thumbs, and I sprint around maps spraying like a 'tard a lot of the time.
    The button by itself is pretty much the same on PS3 and Xbox360. The issue however is when you're holding a direction and then pushing the button at the same time. You have more pressure spread out on your thumb when you have the button completely flat in comparison to when you are pushing it in one direction.
    Because the button is still push 'down', it forces you to push it using more pressure as the stick is no longer parallel to the actual button.

I use a Wilfire Evo controller for my PS3, it has re-customizable buttons through software in the controller. Might want to check that out.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Its the single reason i dont play fps games on ps3 controllers, i tried it with killzone but the way the analog sticks are made they just dont feel right, they need to be concave like the xbox, just dont seem to get the percision from a ps controller that i can from a concaved analog stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I use a Wilfire Evo controller for my PS3, it has re-customizable buttons through software in the controller. Might want to check that out.
    doesn't sound too bad, might try this one, thanks.