Thread: Prot PVP?

Prot PVP?

After picking up my prot pally, and seeing just how stupidly high the burst from Holy Avenger, I'm curious if they can work in arena.

Has anyone tried it?

Deleted
    wont work, you have no vengeance

for sirious rating like above 2.2k+ no
    but if you are playing below 1600rating tank spec might work but only in 2vs2 in 3vs3 it's just weak

10+ Year Old Account
    Vengeance is going to be your main issue here. You don't get Vengeance from players which is what gives you the high burst in the first place. It's okay to goof around in lower ratings I suppose, but in competitive play, I doubt you can get far.

Deleted
    If I remember correctly and from personal experience, prot pala seized to exist after WotLK.

Deleted
    I can not talk about paladin here but I'm actively playing blood PvP not as main specc but sometimes for the lulz I play blood. "Successful" for the tank in PvP Part.

Season 9 Double Blood 2k rating
    Season 10 Triple Blood 3v3 1700 rating
    Season 11 Triple DPS 3v3 with blood instead of frost 2k rating
    Season 12 Prot+Blood 1800(We upped 200 by changing from arms/unholy to prot/blood)

I guess if you play with a blood DK it will likely work since blood DK's currently do more damage than hunters and warriors(Yes blood you heard right here. If anyone says I'm wrong I'll link screenshots of the last 30 arenagames. I said damage not burst damage)

Pala has a a lot of support but lacks some CC compared to what warrior has but I would say protpala does a lot more damage than a prot warrior does because of cooldown stacking. Just give it a try. Play full offensively with your gems/reforge. Pick most suitable talents for your teammate or yourself to survive if you notice people going for you most of the time. If you have trouble just keep practicing in S9 we were stuck on 1800 for like over 1-2months before breaching 2000.
    Last edited by mmocfb72b6c64d; 2012-11-09 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleepz View Post
    I can not talk about paladin here but I'm actively playing blood PvP not as main specc but sometimes for the lulz I play blood. "Successful" for the tank in PvP Part.

Season 12 Prot+Blood 1800(We upped 200 by changing from arms/unholy to prot/blood)

I guess if you play with a blood DK it will likely work since blood DK's currently do more damage than hunters and warriors(Yes blood you heard right here. If anyone says I'm wrong I'll link screenshots of the last 30 arenagames. I said damage not burst damage)

Pala has a a lot of support but lacks some CC compared to what warrior has but I would say protpala does a lot more damage than a prot warrior does because of cooldown stacking. Just give it a try. Play full offensively with your gems/reforge. Pick most suitable talents for your teammate or yourself to survive if you notice people going for you most of the time. If you have trouble just keep practicing in S9 we were stuck on 1800 for like over 1-2months before breaching 2000.
    Just because your arms warrior or bm hunter partner dies and you continue fighting in an arena for 5 minutes and end up doing more damage than them, does not mean that blood dks put out more sustained damage than them overall (or you are playing with some god awful players).

Back to the point...no, you won't be very successful playing prot in arena. Without vengeance your damage will be pitiful and you will be nothing more than an annoying speedbump.

Now that we don't get vengeance our damage is absolutely pitiful. In 2v2 the other team will just ignore you and beat down your team mate then move on to you - sure it might take them a minute or two to get you down but you have zero hope of winning against anyone competent, especially if there is a healer or hybrid involved.

Deleted
    i think its possible, survivability is given definetly

10+ Year Old Account
    It's honestly a shame that they removed Vengeance from PvP. It's really not that hard of a mechanic to counter, and would have allowed for a bit more flexibility with strategy in PvP, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleepz View Post

Which probably isn't going to happen anymore, since DS won't consider PvP damage when calculating how much it heals you for after 5.1.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    It's honestly a shame that they removed Vengeance from PvP. It's really not that hard of a mechanic to counter, and would have allowed for a bit more flexibility with strategy in PvP, I would think.
    If they were going to make tanks viable in pvp outside of carrying flags, vengeance wouldn't be the way to do it, but adopting a system akin to the way it's done in Warhammer Online or SWTOR, with either taunts and detaunts or Guard. Both were genius ideas and really made it a lot of fun to play a tank in pvp in each game. Just a shame both games didn't have the polish WoW did.