Blade Lord - Tornado Question

Quick question: is there a way to tell when someone gets hit by a tornado in phase 2 from the logs? We had no issues getting to phase 2 then 1/2 the raid dies during the tornado dodging. DPS was blaming it on lack of heals and healers were saying people were getting hit/carried back by the tornados. I was generally the first one down the hallway, so I couldn't watch but I think people were getting hit by tornados. We 3 healed it, so lack of heals should be a non-issue even with the constant movement.

Thanks for the help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't 3-heal this fight unless your DPS in extremely high. Even the extra healer can't compensate the higher damage your raid is taking during the 20%/10% runs. Healers have to dodge, too, so you can't expect a ton of healing during that. Usually all I can muster is Cascades and PoM's (since they're bound to my mouse buttons).
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    When you initially all get knocked back, make sure everyone waits a moment groupped up to get healed, and then move up the hallway. If someone does get caught and moved back, you should be able to see that on the mini-map, right? You can also upload to World of Logs and analyze the damage during that phase.

I'm not super familiar with what the damage looks like on that fight, since i missed it last week and we one-shot it this week. I didn't have a reason to look at the numbers closely on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the tornadoes actually damage you. They just prolong the time you spend running and possibly away from the healers so that the damage that is pulsing eventually kills you.

Couple tricks we used effectively and not so much...

If you have a druid and a warlock have him put symbiosis on the lock. Then when you get dragged to the first spot at 20% have the lock toss his portal down behind where the boss will be at 10%. This way your druid can get past the stupid tornado spawning point, and heal up all those people who have already made it.

I've only had on successful attempt at placing my demonic gateway and not having it despawn on me, but if you have your lock place it in the wind that pushes you up along the sides and the sister gate behind where the boss is at 20%, you can get 5 people to there pretty dam quickly. However it can be more work then its worth if you got people who are getting hit by tornadoes cause they are focusing on getting to the gateway.

And lastly, we had a healer who could not make it past the spawn point of the tornadoes, but he had no problem dodging them. So we had him chill in the middle dodging them the whole time then right before Blade Lord switched sides he began running back to the side that we started on. He was able to get on this one and then heal us when we got closer so that the other healers could worry about getting to the platform.

Our original intent was to 2 heal it but one of our DPS had to work late, so we 3 healed it. I'm thinking we began p2 a few times in the 2:30 - 3:00 to enrage time which I think would be plenty of time to run down, burn to 11%, ride the sides down while dots take care of the last 1% then burn the last 10%. I think our best attempt had the boss at 10% with 1 min left on the enrage with 2 dps and 1 healer not even getting down to the boss from the 20% to 10% burn. We will 2 heal if all of our DPS can make it. Won't matter how many heals/DPS we have if people are getting hit by tornados which is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

The strat we used was no one runs until you're at 90%+ then you take off. Pop personal cd's, lock rocks, etc about half-way and take advantage of movement speed increasing abilities.

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    I don't think the tornadoes actually damage you. They just prolong the time you spend running and possibly away from the healers so that the damage that is pulsing eventually kills you.
    Thanks, I was afraid this was going to be the answer.

Couple tricks we used effectively and not so much...

If you have a druid and a warlock have him put symbiosis on the lock. Then when you get dragged to the first spot at 20% have the lock toss his portal down behind where the boss will be at 10%. This way your druid can get past the stupid tornado spawning point, and heal up all those people who have already made it.

I've only had on successful attempt at placing my demonic gateway and not having it despawn on me, but if you have your lock place it in the wind that pushes you up along the sides and the sister gate behind where the boss is at 20%, you can get 5 people to there pretty dam quickly. However it can be more work then its worth if you got people who are getting hit by tornadoes cause they are focusing on getting to the gateway.

And lastly, we had a healer who could not make it past the spawn point of the tornadoes, but he had no problem dodging them. So we had him chill in the middle dodging them the whole time then right before Blade Lord switched sides he began running back to the side that we started on. He was able to get on this one and then heal us when we got closer so that the other healers could worry about getting to the platform.
    We talked after the raid and we're going to try what you suggest with leaving a healer behind to heal those who are a bit slower or the first ones back when the boss goes to the other side of the room. The demonic gateway idea is an interesting one, but I'm afraid it could create more problems as I'm sure people will just force using it. Demonic circle wouldn't help the druid as he would be the one we leave behind, but could help the lock who is struggling to make it.

Not sure but I think the damage source taken while walking in the alley is the same damage source as when u get behind him ("Storm Unleashed") so it will he hard to differentiate deaths ppl from the normal aoe when everyone is behind him versus when ppl get caught and have to move all over again. You can do this to see what killed ppl (not sure it will help though): Go to WoL -> Expression Editor and type "overkill > 0" then hit run.

15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of everyone running at the same time, have the healers run last. Since you saying people are dying then if healers are at the back they can heal especially people that do get picked up by tornadoes.

Deleted
    U can always check who started to deal damage that means he was under boss

This is a great tip. I personally prefer to symbiosis our shaman for Spiritwalkers Grace I think it's called. That way you can tranq while running. It has a hefty 12% mana cost but is well worth it imo. Having a resto Druid for this guy already makes it trivial, as long as evryone does a good job dodging tornados.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed a Resto Shaman for spirit walkers grace was our druids first choice. But our group had no problem keeping people up during the first run, the spawn points of the tornadoes was presenting more of a problem, so we adjusted.

Figure out which works best for your group.

Do note there's only so much healing your healers can do during that phase. There aren't really any opportunities to stop and heal (typically you have to move again before you get the cast off) so it is all instants. As a Paladin, aside from pre-hotting people with Eternal Flame, there's not an awful lot I can do during the running phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    Do note there's only so much healing your healers can do during that phase. There aren't really any opportunities to stop and heal (typically you have to move again before you get the cast off) so it is all instants. As a Paladin, aside from pre-hotting people with Eternal Flame, there's not an awful lot I can do during the running phase.
    I was imagining save Holy Avenger and go into the HS - EF - HR - EF -HS aoe rotation to EF blanket the raid before they run the second frogger route.

Sorry if this is a necro
    Guatama - Enhancement
    Slowbrah - Retribution/Holy
    Jamespage - Demonology PVP
    Evocati (H - Zul'jin) is recruiting for 25 man.
    Visit our website to apply.

Save raid-wide healing cooldowns for the run...even if tempting to be used on one of the big aoes shortly before p2.

Found myself to enjoy revival a lot for the second transition which is always rough to get through...Asking our enh shaman to spec tide over ancestral guidance because let's face it, everything else is kidna smooth to heal.

Don't waste any heals on your warriors ever. Second wind outheals it till enrage.

Deleted
    If you're 3healing and have a monk healer in that, tell him/her to glyph uplift and snooze a bit through phase 1 so he has full mana for the runs to spam it.

If you have a priest, Cascade and Prayer of Mending are great for this. If you have a Holy priest, throw down a Lightspring approx halfway down the hall and it will heal anyone within 40 yards who is under half.

Definitely have your healers top everyone off before starting out (have the DPS wait a few sec), and split up your healers for the run (have one hang back a bit). If the front healer gets hit by a tornado, the DPS should wait for the second healer to catch up if they are low.