Hello my dear Highlords,
I've been playing Paladin since Burning Crusade; maining Ret since Wrath of the Lich King.
Since we all know our God and savior Solsacra won't be maintaining a Ret guide for Legion and so many people are shouting for some guide/discussion Thread - Let's start here.
26th September: Updated some major parts of the guide for Legion! Including some scalefactor/stats; Talents;Consumeables,Neck enchants,Ashbringer relics and Emerald Nightmare trinkets! Here's the new list:
all trinkets 850(Emerald Nightmare too) Ashbringer is 880 + all traits. 5 min duration.
27th August: The latest Sims done by Solsacra:
Single target, 840 pre-raid gear,870 Ashbringer (34Traits)
Final Verdict Configurations
Execution Sentence Configurations
Adding: Here's a nice Spreadsheet Lexicon for everything we want to do when Legion hits!
#1 • Ability Pruning and what's gone
#2 • New Abilities and passives
#3 • New Mastery
#4 • New Talents
#5 • Rotation / Priority list
#6 • Stat Priority and Consumables
#7 • Ashbringer
#8 • Addons
#9 • Final words
#1 Ability Pruning
Let's talk about the things the lost in the fire. Hammer of Wrath, Hammer of the Righteous, Exorcism, Hand of Sacrifice, Righteous Fury, Emancipate, Divine Protection and all Seals have been removed from the game.
Word of Glory is no longer baseline; instead we can choose it as a T5(LvL 75) Talent.
Our Blessings got changed and now only buff up to 3 Player instead of being Raidwide.
Greater Blessing of Might: Places a Blessing on the friendly target, increasing mastery by 5. -> Places a blessing on an ally that gives their attacks a 10% chance to deal 30% additional damage as Holy.
Greater Blessing of Kings: Places a Blessing on the friendly target, increasing Strength, Agility, and Intellect by 5%. -> Places a blessing on an ally that grants them an absorption shield. It absorbs up to (1.8 * Spell power) damage, and will be refreshed to full strength every 6 sec, even if fully consumed.
Greater Blessing of Wisdom: Places a blessing on an ally that causes them to regenerate 1% of maximum health and mana per 15 sec.
Your 3 Blessings should be used as Blessing of Might on the 3 Top DPS.
#2 New Abilities and Retribution passive
Blade of Justice:
New Holy Power generator with 400% physical damage scaling. Generates 2 Holy Power. 12 yd range. 10.5 sec cooldown.
Hand of Hindrance:
Places a Hand on an enemy target, reducing movement speed by 70% for 10 sec. 30 yd range. 30 sec cooldown.
Shield of Vengeance:
Pretty much our Divine Protection replacement. Does have 2 min cooldown though. Absorbs (Attack power * 10) damage for 15 sec. When fully consumed deals damage within 8 yds for the amount of damage absorbed.
The interesting new passive; Retribution:
When any party or raid member withing 40 yards dies, you gain 20% increased damage done and 30% reduced damage taken for 20 sec. Where are the Surrender to Madness Shadow Priests now?
Worth mentioning our Divine Shield no longer reduces our damage dealt and Blessing of Protection no longer prevents from attacking.
#3 New Mastery
Let's jump to our new Mastery: Divine Judgment
Increases Judgment damage by 24%, and causes Judgment to increase damage taken from your Holy Power spenders by 12%.
As of Level 110; 233 Masteryrating converts to 1% Masteryincrease. 0 Haste Judgment now has 12 sec cooldown.
Due to the new Mastery, our playstyle kind of shifts into Arms Warrior(Colossus Smash). We basically only want to spend our Holy Power when the current target suffers our Judgment debuff.
#4 New Talents
Next up are our new Talents.
T1 - Level 15
• Final Verdict -> Increases the damage of Templar's Verdict by 20% and the damage of Divine Storm by 10%. Pretty simple.
• Execution Sentence -> Now costs 3 Holy Power and has a 20 sec cooldown. Deals (1100% of Attack power) Holy Damage after 7 sec. Cooldown and debuff are affected by our Haste rating.
• Consecration -> The same as always. Deals [(30% of Attack power) * 9] over 12 sec with a 12 sec cooldown. Just like Execution Sentence; Cooldown and duration are affected by Haste.
The best choice here should be Final Verdict. Execution Sentence should perfom pretty even till we reach Level 110 but ES simply doesnt get any attention in our Ashbringer (Echo does not work, Might of the Templar is TV only). Consecration basically sucks.
T2 - Level 30
• The Fires of Justice -> Reduces our Crusader Strike cooldown by 1 sec and gives us a 15% chance to reduce the next finisher to cost 1 less Holy Power.
• Zeal -> A Crusader Strike replacing Ability with 75% more damage scaling. Also grants us the buff Zeal which basically causes Zeal to Cleave for each stack.
Maximum of 3 stacks and each jump deals 40% less damage. 2 charges. (small note: Zeal does not work with our Class Trinket Libram of Vindication)
• Greater Judgment -> Judgment now allows us to hit up to 4 targets instead of 2 and always deals a critical strike against targets above 50% hp.
Default choice is The Fires of Justice. Zeal should be considered at 2 to 4 targets and Greater Judgment starts working well when you are frequently hitting 4+ targets.
T3 - Level 45
• Fist of Justice -> Got changed a little bit. Instead of flat reducing the cooldown on Hammer of Justice we now get cooldown reduce per Holy Power spent on damaging abilities. -8 sec everytime we spend our Holy Power.
• Repentance -> In the end the same as usual with the execption that it deals up to 25% of the targets health in over 1 min.
• Blinding Light -> Now has 1.5 min cooldown instead of 2min and deals (300% of Spell power) damage for some reason.
I would recommend using Blinding Light here. Especially if you are struggling with getting Haste items this cute little light can donate you a global instead of waiting for something to come up off cooldown.
Fist of Justice might be viable if there are lots of targets which are stunable and you are able to use Justicar's Vengeance but i can't really think of a Bossfight like that.
T4 - Level 60
• Virtue's Blade -> Blade of Justice critical strikes deal 3 times normal damage.
• Blade of Wrath -> Replaces Blade of Justice and has 3 sec less cooldown. Also deals 120% Holy damage instead of 400% Physical damage but deals an additional 165% of Attack power Holy damage over 6 sec.(DoT scales with Haste)
• Divine Hammer -> Replaces Blade of Justice and has 1.5 sec more cooldown. Spins around you for 45% Holy damage instantly and every 2 sec for 12 sec.(Duration reduces and tick rate increased by Haste)
Blade of Wrath simply outperforms Virtue's Blade on Level 110. Divine Hammer starts being viable when you are always hitting 2+ targets.
T5 - Level 75
• Justicar's Vengeance -> Deals a bit more Holy damage than a Templar's Verdict(even with Final Verdict selected) and heals you for the amount of damage done but it costs 5 Holy Power. 100% additional damage and healing against stunned targets.
• Eye for an Eye -> Reduces Physical damage taken by 35% and instantly couterattacks any enemy that melee attacks you for 170% Physical damage. Lasts 10 sec.
• Word of Glory -> Already mentioned it is no longer baseline and costs 3 Holy Power. Heals yourself and up to 5 friendly targets within 15 yards for (900% of Spell power). 2 charges; 1 min recharge.
Justicar's Vengeance is clearly the choice when paired with T7 Talent Divine Purpose and/or you can cheese some stunable adds. You should consume Divine Purpose proccs with Justicar's Vengeance since it deals a bit more damage than TV does. The healing aspect could be worth it for some encounter aswell.
T6 - Level 90
• Divine Intervention -> Divine Shield cooldown is reduced by 50%. Additionally to the cooldown reduce, any attack that would kill you instead procs Divine Shield and sets your HP to 20%.
Can't trigger when Divine Shield is on cooldown or Forbearance is active on you.
• *NEW*Cavalier -> Grants a 2nd charge on Divine Steed; Mounting our Paladin Class Mount and basically charging into battle! Grants 100% movement speed for 3 sec and has 45 sec cooldown. Steed is baseline now.
• Seal of Light -> Spending up to 5 Holy Power for 20% movement speed. Every Holy Power spent gives us 20 sec duration.
This is pretty much personal preference. Divine Steed is our one and only movement speed thingy right now but if you are certain you dont need any movement speed Divine Intervention can be fine too. Seal of Light is flat DPS loss.
T7 - Level 100
• Divine Purpose -> Your Holy Power spending abilities have a 20% chance to make your next Holy Power spending ability free. As described above you should play T5 Justicar's Vengeance when using Divine Purpose.
• Crusade -> Replaces Avenging Wrath and increases your damage and haste by 3.5% for 20 sec. Each Holy Power spent during Crusade gives you an additional 3.5% of both with a maximum of 15 stacks.(52.5% damage and haste at 15 stacks)
• Holy Wrath -> Deals Holy damage to up to 4 enemies within 10 yards equal to 200% of missing health (50% missing health against player). If ever used try to combine with Divine Intervention proccs.
Crusade provides best DPS gain with 3/3 Wrath of the Ashbringer(Trait - 7.5 more sec. on Avenging Wrath/Crusade) and Ashes to Ashes. DP is fine in Mythic Dungeons but it's basically personal preference (I'm playing with Crusade Mythic+) Holy Wrath could very rarely be useful.
#5 Rotation / Priority list
You always want to cast your finisher when Judgment is up on your target.
The default Priority list should look like this:
Priority Ability name Condition 1 Judgment Keep Judgment on cooldown @4+ Holy Power and/or DP procs.*** 2 Templar's Verdict Cast Templar's Verdict with Judgment up and @5 Holy Power. 3 Crusader Strike/Zeal Cast Crusader Strike or Zeal if @2 charges. Generates 1 Holy Power. 4 Blade of Justice Cast Blade of Justice/T4 talent @3 or less Holy Power. Generates 2 Holy Power. 5 The Fires of Justice Cast the Fires of Justice Crusader Strike if @2 charges. Generates 1 Holy Power. 6 Templar's Verdict Cast with Judgment up and @4 Holy Power or to spend a Fires of Justice proc regardless of your current Holy Power. 7 Consecration Cast Consecration if talented. 8 Crusader Strike/Zeal Cast Crusader Strike or Zeal if @1 charge. Generates 1 Holy Power. 9 Blinding Light Cast Blinding Light if talented and there is nothing else to cast. 10 Templar's Verdict Cast with Judgment up and @3 Holy Power when there is nothing else to cast.
Divine Purpose priority:
Priority Ability name Condition 1 Judgment Keep Judgment on cooldown @4+ Holy Power and/or DP procs.*** 2 Justicar's Vengeance Cast Justicar's Vengeance @5 Holy Power with Divine Purpose proc and Judgment up. Or if DP is about to fade. 3 Templar's Verdict Cast Templar's Verdict with Judgment up and @5 Holy Power. 4 Crusader Strike/Zeal Cast Crusader Strike or Zeal if @2 charges. Generates 1 Holy Power. 5 Blade of Justice Cast Blade of Justice/T4 talent @3 or less Holy Power. Generates 2 Holy Power. 6 The Fires of Justice Cast the Fires of Justice Crusader Strike if @2 charges. Generates 1 Holy Power. 7 Justicar's Vengeance Cast Justicar's Vengeance with Divine Purpose proc and Judgment up. Higher priority than spending last charge of CS/Zeal. 8 Templar's Verdict Cast with Judgment up and @4 Holy Power or to spend a Fires of Justice proc regardless of your current Holy Power. 9 Consecration Cast Consecration if talented. 10 Crusader Strike/Zeal Cast Crusader Strike or Zeal if @1 charge. Generates 1 Holy Power. 11 Blinding Light Cast Blinding Light if talented and there is nothing else to cast. 12 Templar's Verdict Cast with Judgment up and @3 Holy Power when there is nothing else to cast.
***Note that the Judgment cooldown is pretty much the same as it's duration when you are sitting at about 30% Haste(1 GCD between). Simply use Judgment on cooldown if you reach that breakpoint. 100% Judgment should be at around 50% haste.
For multiple target scenarios simply replace Templar's Verdict with Divine Storm @3 or more; Divine Hammer outvalues BoJ/BoW @ 2+ targets and Greater Judgment starts working with 4 or more targets to hit. However this does not occur when hitting multiple targets for a few seconds - You have to be consistenly hitting the amount of targets mentioned for the different talents/scenarios.
Shield of Vengeance:
Whenever possible you can try to cheese some DPS with our new Shield of Vengeance. Best example would be -> Use Shield of Vengeance -> run into Iron Reaver's Barrage and profit!
Make sure to use Avenging Wrath/Crusade on cooldown. Simply pop Wings when you are about to spend Holy Power on Judgment debuffed targets. Keep in mind that "Liadrins Fury Unleashed" gives you 1 extra Holy Power per 2.5 sec.
#6 Stat priority and consumables
The aim is to, obviously, stack the best stat (haste) but to also find a balance in the acquisition of others. Too much of one at the expense of others tends to be a DPS loss. You need to find the balance between haste, crit and versa. But generally, the best bet is to pursue crit and Vera after the first plateau ( about 20% haste).
As it currently looks the average 860 Itemlevel(25% Crit/29%Haste/22%Mastery3%Versa) stat priority for single target are the following:
Wdps Str Haste AP Crit Versa Mastery Scale Factors 22.85 9.58 7.18 8.90 8.27 9.15 7.00 Normalized 2.39 1.00 0.75 0.93 0.86 0.96 0.73
Please note that SimCraft can give you different results and won't always be 100% accurate for every single character.
Consider using SimCraft on your own character if you want to make sure you are heading for the right stats.
Enchants and Gems should be used for Haste. Our neck enchant should be Mark of the Hidden Satyr
For consumables I would recommend the following:
- Flask of the Countless Armies; 1300 Str for 1 hour.
- Potion of the Old War(Echoes melee attacks and abilities) > Potion of Deadly Grace(Chance to unleash a bolt of energy)
- Azshari Salad; 375 Haste for 1 hour. Or the cheaper version: Suramar Surf and Turf; 300 Haste for 1 hour.
- Defiled Augment Rune; 325 Str for 1 hour.
Here's the optimal Ashbringer path taken from HoWDiscord:
As for DPS-gain Relics:
Wrath of the Ashbringer(AW/Crusade Duration +2.5) >>> Might of the Templar(2% TV Damage) > Highlords Judgment(8% Judgment) > Delive the Justice(8% BoW/BoJ/DH Damage) > Sharpened Edge(6% Crit on CS)
Note that Righteous Blade(5% DS Damage) is fine for Dungeons/Mythic+ Dungeons etc.
Always use simcraft to know how much Itemlevel you can 'skip' with Wrath of the Ashbringer(or the other possible traits). Right now for my Character, a 835 Holy Relic with WotA does have more gain than a 865 Holy relic with cooldown reduce on Blessing of Protection.(That's 9 Weapon-itemlevel)
In my opinion the only Addon that you should consider using is WeakAuras 2. Everything else is optional.
WeakAuras can be used to track pretty much every single buff/debuff/event in the Game. Its highly configurable in terms of pictures/sounds/emotes.
In addition you can simply copy+paste WeakAuras/WeakAurastrings of other players and share yours with them.
There are some other Addons that serve to be usefull for example BigWigs/Deadly Boss Mods and Skada but in the end it all comes down to personal preference.
#9 Final words
I'll be updating when Legion hits and I'll try to link/insert some SimCraft results for our talents at the current state (Level100) and of course for Legion.
I hope this post helps understanding the new Retribution Paladin and the guide will be helpful in general.
I appreciate any kind of feedback and discussions!
Last but not least here's a link to the Paladin Discord channel!
-pre-Patch/Legion thread created
- updated trinketlist
- updated weaponenchants
- updated lvl 90 / T6 talent; Divine Steed -> Cavalier
- added "what to do when Legion hits" Spreadsheet
- added Sol's latest 110 Sims
- added Legion Trinket list
- Ashbringer Skill Path
- updated some major parts of the guide + relics