Deleted

power supply doubtz

im letting a site build my new comp with parts I've chosen and today I received en email saying my power supply choice is not very good.
    the technician offered me one to chose but I'm hesitant.

this is my set-up:

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3
    CPU: INTEL CORE I7 3820
    RAM: 2times x ''KIT EXTREME3 2 X 4 GO PC12800 RIPJAWS X CAS9''
    GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED - 2 GO
    HDD: BARRACUDA SATA III 6 GB/S (ST1000DM003) - 1 TO

old power supply choice : SILVERSTONE STRIDER PLUS ST85F-P - 850W
    choice by technician : Antec HCG Modulaire - 520W

im hesitant cause 520w seems a bit low?
    im worried that my power supply might explode if its not enough if I ever decide to use my pc in heavy ways
    Last edited by mmocba4f7a59a4; 2012-11-09 at 06:03 PM.

520w is plenty for that system, but I see other problems with the build like the MoBo and HD Brands, and CPU choice is odd.

Have you already ordered the CPU and motherboard? You would be better off with something like an i5 3570K on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 or Asus P8Z77-V LK. Would be a better choice for gaming, and you can overclock the 3570K very easily for even more performance - you cannot overclock the i7 3820.

The 520W PSU suggested is a very good one.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-11-09 at 06:08 PM.

Just like Butler said and with the savings you could also up the graphics card to a 660ti or 7950 if your order hasnt been officialized yet and would probably be no more than you are already paying.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

The Silverstone Strider-series aren't bad. But fantastically overkill.
    The Antec High Current Gamer 520w is really good. Good guy technician.

Deleted
    haha good,I feel so noobish at this!
    my command can still be changed so i am considering the suggestions,thank you

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Have you already ordered the CPU and motherboard? You would be better off with something like an i5 3570K on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 or Asus P8Z77-V LK. Would be a better choice for gaming, and you can overclock the 3570K very easily for even more performance - you cannot overclock the i7 3820.

The 520W PSU suggested is a very good one.
    could you elaborate why my initial choice is bad?Is my build basically problematic or its just that it can be better?

You can always get a bit more power if desired. The only time you will probably need a larger power supply is when you have more than 1 video card. The general principle is to get an idea of how much power your system will use use and then buy a supply with say 100w more. You want power supplies reasonably close to the amount you intend to use because if you read the fine print a lot of them are only efficient when under higher loads. Not doing that will add a bit to your electric bill over time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokii View Post
    You can always get a bit more power if desired. The only time you will probably need a larger power supply is when you have more than 1 video card. The general principle is to get an idea of how much power your system will use use and then buy a supply with say 100w more. You want power supplies reasonably close to the amount you intend to use because if you read the fine print a lot of them are only efficient when under higher loads. Not doing that will add a bit to your electric bill over time.
    hmhm I wont be going for 2 video cards,ty good to know

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post

could you elaborate why my initial choice is bad?Is my build basically problematic or its just that it can be better?
    See my reply in the other thread you started:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post19047616

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post

Nothing problematic with it, and not that it would be "better" per-se. It's just that you are going overboard and spending more than you need to in some areas. You could get equal performance with less money, or by spending less on certain parts be able to get better parts that actually matter and get more performance for the same price.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Nothing problematic with it, and not that it would be "better" per-se. It's just that you are going overboard and spending more than you need to in some areas. You could get equal performance with less money, or by spending less on certain parts be able to get better parts that actually matter and get more performance for the same price.
    idd,I was a bit scared I made a serious error,I like to anticipate the worst

Funny how so many people say you can't overclock the 3820, but you can, if you know what you're doing. Mate has just got a new PC, overclocked the 3820 to 4,9ghz with no problems. Didn't think it would be significantly better than S1155 but I got to say..... I was impressed. After seeing his PC in action I have no problems recommending an i7 3820, it will pulverize the 3570K/3770K. Getting one myself now lol

The 3820 is overclockable, yes. But differently. You can set a specific FSB multi at 1.25 or 1.5 or even 2(?) to offset the need of unlocked multi, at least partially.