Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    ... than helping some random starving people in a country that I will never visit.
    It's this part that gives reason to why I would never consider giving to any charity that says it is going to help save the starving children somewhere. Sorry, but if you can barely even feed yourself, why would you then bring a child into the world just so it can suffer?

  2. #22
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fuck you, that's where.
    Posts
    4,492
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    basically, my objection is along the line of rich's. i dont like being guilted or condescended to. and a lot of these commercials take that route
    It's annoying indeed. It's also funny that these commercials get more and more frequent around Christmas time or other holidays.
    Probably for the guilt trip to take full effect. I'll think of two children this year when eating my delicious yule ham then :<
    Last edited by Deleted; 2012-11-09 at 06:57 PM.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

  3. #23
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,168
    My favorite ad is the one for some Catholic Charity I believe, it features this older obese man asking us for money to feed the starving children as he walks through their village and even picks one up. I crack up every time I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    it has become a sad state of affairs that people would rather look like brain washed idiots then admit they was wrong

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by allevia View Post
    It's this part that gives reason to why I would never consider giving to any charity that says it is going to help save the starving children somewhere. Sorry, but if you can barely even feed yourself, why would you then bring a child into the world just so it can suffer?
    I agree.

    If you can't feed yourself, why are you donating money?

    This also applies to the nearest hobo you find on the street.

    My mom, when she sees one, she immediately wants to give him/her some money, I say she can't, every time it pains here, but I always tell her we have to look four ourselves first. Sadly, not everyone can hold the urge to help others instead of themselves.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    It's fine, very kind of them raising money for a noble cause. However, something I don't like is the new trend to show uncensored footage of dead children, men who's decapitating dogs, facilities who strangle kittens and war footage of mutilated women on prime time television!
    lol - god forbid they interrupt your American Idol reverie with the harsh reality of what other folks are living through.

    The only thing this accomplishes is to grow hatred for this region and it's people. It's obviously a very corrupt and evil place.
    Wait wait - after being confronted by reality, your reaction is neither empathy, pity, nor apathy, but hatred?

    Something else that is very curious is how these people and animals aren't helped yet? Fundraising for this region has been going on for over 40 years now, that's A LOT of money and well enough to end starvation, cure aids, build a megatropolis and send Kunta kinte to the moon and back.
    I can tell numbers aren't your strong suit. You may wanna sit this one out. It's rough to plow fields when you're constantly under threat of civil war, drought, famine, and disease. Hard to build things when so many are blowing them up. And get this - food gets eaten, and after that, folks need more food.

    So, what do they have to show for over 40 years of world wide fundraising and trillions upon trillions of dollars? Bascially THIS!
    Really- trillions? Over how long? You think that's all they built? Education is the first step towards empowering these folks to take charge of their own destiny. You know the saying, "Teach a man to fish..."

    These people are obviously not getting helped by our money and we keep getting milked for more. Something fishy is going on for sure.
    Isn't it time to change tactic and roll in the tanks and overthrow something soon? Because I'm growing pretty tired of these commercials..

    Edit: I don't have to say that I'm talking about Africa, you probably figured that out seconds after opening the thread.
    They are getting helped by our money. You're just too ignorant and sociopathic to see it. There's always con-games in the mix, but the best organizations have a long-standing track record of integrity and honesty. In fact - surprise, surprise - you're not the first guy to think of all this. However, the non-sociopaths who think about it have actually formed international watchdog nonprofit orginizations for the purpose of evaluating the legitimacy of non-profit charity organizations.

    Like this: http://charitywatch.org/

    Time to roll in tanks? Sociopathic response. No, dude, it's time for you to seek professional help and stop shitting all over good causes just because a few jackasses have run a good scam before. God forbid you have to watch another commercial - the world may stop its spin if you have to mute it or change the channel.

  6. #26
    This is directed at the OP since he seems to be tin foiling about aid. I'd like to clear a few things up. First of all, "trillions upon trillions" is not the amount that has been given in aid to Africa. Not even close. Second, it has made a vast difference for many many people. If you genuinely want to know why sub-saharan africa has struggled to develop then you should read Poor Economics by Abhijit Banerjee and Ester Duflo. Developing economies is my area of study so I will try to break down a few things that have blighted developing economies, particularly sub-saharan Africa.

    1. Many regions are in what is known as a "minimum capital trap". Which means essentially this; there is so little capital (tools, machines, etc) in this region that it's people are not productive enough to produce what they need to consume AND have enough left over to save money in order to repair/maintain their current capital. As a result, the capital stock diminishes over time, making everybody less productive and poorer.

    2. They are also stuck in a "demographic trap" meaning that the birth rate is so high that the population expands faster than the capital stock can. As a result, there is less capital per person, thus making everybody less productive and causing them to slip into a minimum capital trap. (Just to clarify, clearly I am talking about this in an aggregate sense. There are people with more capital than others, everything is not shared evenly, hence why some africans are not in poverty, whilest others are in dire poverty. If you look at per capita GDP though across sub saharan africa than you can see how it has declined, rather than grown for many nations. These "traps" are why, along with things such as political turmoil, civil war, droughts, etc)

    3. Corruption is rife both in the governance and sadly within many aid agencies. What little aid money that comes in is incredibly mismanaged. Governments take much to give to themselves and their cronies. Aid from agencies often comes with strings attached. Say a company donates 1 million to an agency, but they say that they will only give it if the nation receiving the money buys the sewer pipes from them (the company) that the money is supposed to go towards. So now a monopoly has been created and the company can charge whatever price they desire and the country has no reason to reject the money and reject buying from a monopoly because the money is free to them. Another example is buying food from the US and Europe where it's so cheap and giving it out for free, instead of buying it from local farmers. This runs local farmers out of business and further exasperates the problem. Although I wouldn't necessarily call this corruption, but often it's the result of strings attached to aid donations.

    4. There's too many aid agencies doing too many things. There is no specialization and as a result far more money is consumed through administration costs being repeated across many agencies than would be consumed if the agencies specialized.

    Those are 4 of the main reason, I feel, that sub saharan africa has developed so little. The agencies aren't intentionally stealing money and the reasons why the development has been so slow, or even negative, are quite complicated. Now, despite everything I've just said, that doesn't make giving aid a bad thing or sub saharan africa hopeless. Organizations like the Bill and Malinda Gates foundation are incredibly efficient and a LOT of people have been lifted out of poverty as a result of aid. The more aid we give, especially towards the children of sub saharan africa, the better things will get. If we educate these kids and ensure they have proper nutrition to grow to a high level of potential ability, then we will see corrupt government come under pressure from within, we will see entrepreneurs opening businesses and lift their fellow countrymen out of poverty, but it will require a lot of money because of how inefficient things are.

  7. #27
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fuck you, that's where.
    Posts
    4,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I agree.

    If you can't feed yourself, why are you donating money?

    This also applies to the nearest hobo you find on the street.

    My mom, when she sees one, she immediately wants to give him/her some money, I say she can't, every time it pains here, but I always tell her we have to look four ourselves first. Sadly, not everyone can hold the urge to help others instead of themselves.
    I think he meant that for the mothers and fathers in those starving countries. Why bring a child to the world when you can't even feed yourself.

    But that hobo example is pretty accurate, you give them five and they'll buy a fifth. Money in the ocean, almost literally.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    Aid the women! Assist the poor! feed a child and start a school! Free a kitten! Help that dog! Kony's missing, help him too!

    These are just a few campaigns on TV commercials right now, all different organizations asking for money to assist one region of our planet.
    It's fine, very kind of them raising money for a noble cause. However, something I don't like is the new trend to show uncensored footage of dead children, men who's decapitating dogs, facilities who strangle kittens and war footage of mutilated women on prime time television!
    The only thing this accomplishes is to grow hatred for this region and it's people. It's obviously a very corrupt and evil place.

    Something else that is very curious is how these people and animals aren't helped yet? Fundraising for this region has been going on for over 40 years now, that's A LOT of money and well enough to end starvation, cure aids, build a megatropolis and send Kunta kinte to the moon and back.
    So, what do they have to show for over 40 years of world wide fundraising and trillions upon trillions of dollars? Bascially THIS!

    These people are obviously not getting helped by our money and we keep getting milked for more. Something fishy is going on for sure.
    Isn't it time to change tactic and roll in the tanks and overthrow something soon? Because I'm growing pretty tired of these commercials..

    Edit: I don't have to say that I'm talking about Africa, you probably figured that out seconds after opening the thread.
    Anyone interested in evaluating how a particular charity is run should check out Charity Navigator or Guide Star, which disclose all sorts of detail about charities' inner workings and rank them in terms of efficiency and fitness. No surprise, some are run better than others, but the better ones are run very efficiently and deliver critical services to folks who really need them.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I think he meant that for the mothers and fathers in those starving countries. Why bring a child to the world when you can't even feed yourself.

    But that hobo example is pretty accurate, you give them five and they'll buy a fifth. Money in the ocean, almost literally.
    because sex feels good and there is lots of times not access to contraception, that's why they bring more children into the world.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    My favorite ad is the one for some Catholic Charity I believe, it features this older obese man asking us for money to feed the starving children as he walks through their village and even picks one up. I crack up every time I see it.
    I get that, because children starving is pretty funny. Maybe he could drop one or two for giggles in the next commercial.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Faloestin View Post
    I get that, because children starving is pretty funny. Maybe he could drop one or two for giggles in the next commercial.
    no its because its ironic an obease man who is probably eating too much food is asking for money to feed starving children.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    lol - god forbid they interrupt your American Idol reverie with the harsh reality of what other folks are living through.
    you answered "i dont like death and animal mutilation on tv" with this? really? i assume you are volunteering in in africa, and you were allowed some internet time between administering medicine to show us the error of our ways. seriously, get over yourself, and quit acting like a holier than thou judgmental prick

  13. #33
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Faloestin View Post
    I get that, because children starving is pretty funny. Maybe he could drop one or two for giggles in the next commercial.
    You missed the irony of an obese man asking us to feed starving kids. Maybe he could just take a little off his plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    it has become a sad state of affairs that people would rather look like brain washed idiots then admit they was wrong

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    because sex feels good and there is lots of times not access to contraception, that's why they bring more children into the world.
    Blowjobs are good too and doesn't result in unwanted babies.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Blowjobs are good too and doesn't result in unwanted babies.
    what does a woman get out of a blow job?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    what does a woman get out of a blow job?
    Hey there's reciprocation too.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Hey there's reciprocation too.
    ok, now go convince all of africa.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    ok, now go convince all of africa.
    This calls for some Red Bull.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I think he meant that for the mothers and fathers in those starving countries. Why bring a child to the world when you can't even feed yourself.

    But that hobo example is pretty accurate, you give them five and they'll buy a fifth. Money in the ocean, almost literally.
    People have children in order to be assured they will be taken care of when they're too old to work. Sub saharan africa doesn't have social security. These people having kids are generally under nourished but not starving. It's pretty hard for a fetus to form and not have a miscarriage while starving. The reason why they have so many kids is because 1, high child mortality rates and 2, to spread the burden they will become across multiple children. On top of that, in many rural areas people live an agrarian lifestyle so having more kids means more labor for the farm to use.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    People have children in order to be assured they will be taken care of when they're too old to work. Sub saharan africa doesn't have social security. These people having kids are generally under nourished but not starving. It's pretty hard for a fetus to form and not have a miscarriage while starving. The reason why they have so many kids is because 1, high child mortality rates and 2, to spread the burden they will become across multiple children. On top of that, in many rural areas people live an agrarian lifestyle so having more kids means more labor for the farm to use.
    This is rather correct, and how europe was until the end of feudalism pretty much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •