What Are Cartel Coins?

I never played SWTOR, wasn't going to run two games that both had subs. Now that this is going F2P, I was checking things out and keep seeing 'Cartel Coins', that you can get like 450 for $5. What do they do, and do the things they can buy make it so F2P players _have_ to buy them for quality-of-life?

I'm just curious.

SwtorFAQ to the rescue! http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449

Originally Posted by SWTOR
    What is the Cartel Market?

The Cartel Market is a brand new feature that will be introduced with our Free-to-Play option. The Cartel Market will offer valuable in-game items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.

What are Cartel Coins?

Cartel Coins will be the new in-game virtual currency used for the Cartel Market. Cartel Coins may be used to purchase specialty items that allow you to customize and equip your character cosmetically. With Cartel Coins you will be able to purchase in-game items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience. Cartel Coins will also be available for purchase from our website in various price packs.

... so is there any in-game way to acquire these things without using real money?

Quote Originally Posted by jrch5618 View Post
    ... so is there any in-game way to acquire these things without using real money?

No. The point for it is allowing people to play freely while having the game be profitable without doing something stupid akin to selling overpowered weapons (ex: League of Legends champion skins)

They said they are "open" to the option of letting you earn them in game some time in the future. But yea right no have to buy them/get them for having a subscription.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jrch5618 View Post
    and do the things they can buy make it so F2P players _have_ to buy them for quality-of-life?
    Yes. Your quality of life will be impacted if you do not buy coins, as things as petty as UI elements are restricted behind coins. Though the good news is with a minimal purchase of $4.99 you can move to preferred status, which does have a lot of restrictions improved.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    No. The point for it is allowing people to play freely while having the game be profitable without doing something stupid akin to selling overpowered weapons (ex: League of Legends champion skins)
    Not to take the piss out of the thread, but comparing this F2P model to League of Legends should be a sin. LoL gives you everything to play the game for free, you earn their currency by playing, and the store is comprised of cosmetic skins.

SWTOR is not even close to that level or we would be praising the 7 gods of the Midichlorians that this gift of a game exists.

Deleted
    I wonder how much will the itmes cost etc. Could buy swotr CE for 30 euros, it would give me 1000 carter coins
    Last edited by mmoc9a401b276e; 2012-11-09 at 11:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will be granted 1550 Complimentary Cartel Coins at the launch of the Free-to-Play option
    Well that's neat. Being a founder paying from the beginning sure is nice...but...when does this actually happen? I can't find a date on the FAQ. Just says "In November". It's November

Quote Originally Posted by umppa View Post
    I wonder how much will the itmes cost etc. Could buy swotr CE for 30 euros, it would give me 1000 carter coins
    dont nail me on it, but you would also get one moth sub for free, this way another 500 coins and after the month inherit the preferred f2p status. Sounds like a nice deal

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well that's neat. Being a founder paying from the beginning sure is nice...but...when does this actually happen? I can't find a date on the FAQ. Just says "In November". It's November
    Free to play and Cartel Coins will be introduced November 15th.
    Source

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    And bear in mind those free coins are yours ONLY if you have an active sub on the date that the game goes F2P.

If you’re a paying Subscriber at the launch of the Free-to-Play option on November 15th, you will be granted all of the Complimentary Cartel Coins currently listed on your Cartel Coin Ledger page, plus a one-time grant of 250 Complimentary Cartel Coins!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    And bear in mind those free coins are yours ONLY if you have an active sub on the date that the game goes F2P.
    Well the criteria for receiving your past earned coins has now been changed to like dec 20th or something. Basically you have a month to try out F2P before having to sub to get those coins. So it's a little better, but not perfect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Well the criteria for receiving your past earned coins has now been changed to like dec 20th or something. Basically you have a month to try out F2P before having to sub to get those coins. So it's a little better, but not perfect.
    There was a fair bit of moaning from those who no longer subbed but wanted their coin so I guess they caved. But yes, I hadn't heard that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Still subbed. Haven't played in months but I never canceled. I think I'll go back to playing it from time to time again