Having trouble with new priest raid heals.

I have a fairly fresh priest healer in my 10 man that was doing a horrible job last night. Don't think it was a gear problem as he is in 463 gear or better (lfr/crafted/valor), and have an amazing priest inguild that is trying to teach him. He rolled the priest close to the end of cata so he doesn't have a ton of experience healing, and that is what I think he needs the most.
    What I was thinking about doing since heroics are faceroll and raids put 10 people wiping so he can learn was having my other priest run his shadow set and coach him and run some challenge modes to kinda throw him in the fire and see if it helps. My thoughts were it would put some pressure on him and with the other priest he could get some pointers.
    Do you think it's a dick move or you think it will help, or anyone have a better idea?

Deleted
    challenge mode healing is really nothing like raid healing. at all

is there a better option that would be challenging for him to heal?

Heroics are faceroll, but a lot of healing is becoming comfortable with your tool set. Having guild runs could be of use so that he could also build some synergy with members of the guild and get used to what he can do. To make it a little more challenging, the tank could remove a piece of gear here or there so that they take a little more damage.

I wouldn't suggest challenge modes, as they could be disheartening for someone who is still learning. Having the other priest coach him through various things would definitely be good. Help him make sure he knows what his cool downs do and when it would be good in a fight to use them. As an example, I read up on fights for my holy paladin and do research to see when good times for divine plea are, what times I should use cds like devotion aura (and if they should be stacked with another person's cd or rotated).

All in all, familiarity with his tool set and with the fights will help him a lot.

Deleted
    without just practising in raids the closest you could probably do would be to run LFR - if you queue with a few DPS marked as healers so you end up 4healing it that's probably the best you could do.
    That said - nothing will really substitute actual raid practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest you get the priest in your guild to chain a few logged LFR's with him, so you can see whats going wrong and also would be getting experience at the same time. Feel free to PM or link the logs here I'll be glad to help out.

Run LFR; it's honestly a pretty decent place to practice for raids.

You could post some logs and his armory, too, you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Run LFR with him until he's top heals on every fight. I would probably do that. However running in blind like that is going to take forever for him to get better. He needs to research how to do better. I highly suggest you run world of logs for your raid fights and link them on this forum so that we can tell you exactly what they are doing wrong

You have to think about each encounter per encounter as a priest. Have him/them read this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794980143#2

you said that you have 2 priests in your 10man, both healing? what specs are they? if you have 2 discs in 10man then its kinda your fail not the priests'
    also what do you mean by him doing horrible job? was he doing low healing and lack of healing caused ppl wipe or was he doing low healing on a fight on which you dont need more healing?

for the bad healing, there are so many possibilities, mostly connected with picking wrong spells for the occasion or for own itemization.
    it would be awesome if you gave us some logs and his armory (if he doesnt mind).

as for practicing, lfr isnt a good place, as healing 25 is very different from healing 10man for a priest (especially disc)
    challenge modes should be nice as they make healer remember about all the cds and to really push healing same time as remembering about mana usage - also in challenge modes he doest have another healer to cover his mistakes.
    and make sure the group is decent, dont frustrate poor sod with dps snoring in poison pools.
    just dont aim for gold with him from the start, silver should be fine

Rules of Priest Healing:

Know your boss cooldowns so you can time your AOE heals/shields
    Know when your spells are coming off cooldown and when the best time to cast them is.
    Always POM on cooldown, always CoH when more then 4 targets have taken 10% damage.

Stack mastery and spirit. In previous expansions intellect was a good route, but with the exponential amounts of intellect in the game now and it only affecting your output. SPirit is king in terms of enchanting and gemming.

Regen = more output possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    Rules of Priest Healing:

Know your boss cooldowns so you can time your AOE heals/shields
    Know when your spells are coming off cooldown and when the best time to cast them is.
    Always POM on cooldown, always CoH when more then 4 targets have taken 10% damage.

Stack mastery and spirit. In previous expansions intellect was a good route, but with the exponential amounts of intellect in the game now and it only affecting your output. SPirit is king in terms of enchanting and gemming.

Regen = more output possibilities
    This is very imprecise and misguided in a way.

The only reason it's superior to gem spirit right now is because the budgeting on gems favors secondary stats 2:1. Intellect is still an excellent stat, and in situations where the choice is 1:1 between spirit and int, it's not exactly clear cut and you need to look at your own casting patterns and spell usage to see what's better. With the recent buff to Rapture mana regen for disc is becoming less and less of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by emni View Post
    This is very imprecise and misguided in a way.

The only reason it's superior to gem spirit right now is because the budgeting on gems favors secondary stats 2:1. Intellect is still an excellent stat, and in situations where the choice is 1:1 between spirit and int, it's not exactly clear cut and you need to look at your own casting patterns and spell usage to see what's better. With the recent buff to Rapture mana regen for disc is becoming less and less of an issue.

Discs primary source of regen is spirit.

320 spirit vs 160 intel. 320 spirit converts into 640 mana return EACH rapture.

160 intellect returns 0 mana and only increases healing by a minuscule amount.

Yes that is exactly what I said, when the ration is 2:1, spirit wins. What's your point?

Deleted

Gemming for spirit is fine, imo one should stick with Int flasks and Int food.
    At leasts that how it is for Holy imo.

As there has been no sign of wich spec he/she is.

Going full spirit including flasks makes ur heals weaker thus u need to cast more and thats kinda kills ur mana bar as well.
    Find the sweet spot for u on manaregen and than go throughput.

On Normal i run with 8500 spirit atm 19065 spell power unbuffed on armory with 4721 haste manaregen is enough on every fight and more than enough when i heal with a shaman instead of pally/druid.

The MAIN problem here i guess is that he needs to learn to heal along with other healers.
    Fulfilling a specific role (e.g. Tankhealer [just an example...]) and then not caring about the group dropping etc.

The througput of heal is easily increasable by using the right "rotation" or even spells.

BTW in what way was he horrible? not healing jackshit? beeing oom in 25 seconds?

Though it's really nowhere near "real" raiding, I did a lot of LFRs to teach myself the new healing mechanics of my Monk. It really does help to get comfortable with your tools, though the pressure is nothing like heroic raiding, of course, it's closer to it than challenge modes.