Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
  1. #81
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    26,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    There's plenty of work for non-augments. Elsewhere.
    Unless they can augment a brain, most of us working in tech / science will be unaffected.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  2. #82
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,850
    Not to mention that hiring augments will cost a lot - not every company will be able to allow such luxury

  3. #83
    Scarab Lord Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Medellín, Colombia
    Posts
    4,702
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Iron_Hands#.UJ52f4dNt8E
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Adep...s#.UJ52pIdNt8E

    The flesh is weak.

    Lets just hope it doesn't de-evolve into fanaticism and a religious cult.
    pro-gun liberal

  4. #84
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    Ridiculous concept. Even if human augmentation was possible, imagine the bills for maintenance of the non-organic parts, the trips to the shop every now and then. AND FOR FUCKING WHAT ?! So you can lift 100 kilos or run faster ?!
    So you can be a more efficient laborer for massive corporations that now only hire augmented people because who cares if you can only bench 350 pounds, they want the guy who can pick up a steel I beam with one hand. Or perhaps they'll only hire a guy with augmented fingers that can type 300 words per second, with brain augments so he can think that fast as well.

    If we take it far enough, the benefits will start to outweigh the cost and the effects on society will become potentially devastating, or potentially beneficial.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  5. #85
    Bloodsail Admiral Vathdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Not to mention that hiring augments will cost a lot - not every company will be able to allow such luxury
    But why would it cost more? The individual people are paying for their own augments and for their maintanance aswell, not the company. It is up to the people to decide what wage is acceptable to them. But in an economic situation like what we currently have, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't just accept a job for the same salary as an unaugmented human.

    And yes, brain augmentation would be the biggest problem. Increased reaction times, better reflexes and so on. Though this is probably a lot farther away than superior artificial limbs, eyes, hearing and whatever else.
    Last edited by Vathdar; 2012-11-10 at 04:00 PM.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Hello, I'm putting together a presentation on the advancement of artificial body part technology and what possible effects it could have when we develop and can create body parts that are better than what humans naturaly have, and I'd love to hear some opinions on it.

    It most likely is gona have a huge effect on the job market when it becomes affordable to the middle class, "augmented" humans being able to preform the same jobs better than regular humans. Why would a business hire a normal human when the other one can preform the same job better and for the same money? Might even see businesses hiring only people with a specific upgrade. Of course not everyone is going to be willing or have the money to replace their perfectly fine, natural body parts with artificial ones and this will segregate them from the people who do.
    Unemployment would just get worse, with even more people on welfare the economy would get worse and might just go spiralling out of control.

    Personaly I don't see goverments being able to properly regulate such things, as they usualy screw things up. We also shouldn't outlaw such research, standing in the way of science is never good, technology isn't inherently good or bad, it just depends on how we use it.
    Not to mention all the people who lost limbs or body parts for whatever reason, blind and deaf people, we don't have the right to deny them proper replacements just because we are afraid what might happen, do we?

    And yes, i got the inspiration from Deux Ex. :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzpzlvf0Gs The live action trailer sums it all up pretty nicely.
    You are right. Technology is not inherantly good or evil, just like death ray and weaponized Ebola.

  7. #87
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    But why would it cost more? The individual people are paying for their own augments and for their maintanance aswell, not the company. It is up to the people to decide what wage is acceptable to them. But in an economic situation like what we currently have, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't just accept a job for the same salary as an unaugmented human
    1. Augments are expensive - not everyone will be able to allow them
    2. Augmented people are better at a job
    3. Augmented people have increased bills to pay.
    4. Augmented people will ask bigger salary
    5. Companies will provide either bigger salaries or Augmentation Maintenance packages - that is the Employer will pay for Augments maintenance as long as augmentee works for him.
    6. Lesser Companies will hire normals instead.

  8. #88
    Bloodsail Admiral Vathdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,108
    Or a different example, nuclear power plants and nuclear bombs.

    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    1. Augments are expensive - not everyone will be able to allow them
    2. Augmented people are better at a job
    3. Augmented people have increased bills to pay.
    4. Augmented people will ask bigger salary
    5. Companies will provide either bigger salaries or Augmentation Maintenance packages - that is the Employer will pay for Augments maintenance as long as augmentee works for him.
    6. Lesser Companies will hire normals instead.
    But doesn't that also depend on, will their augments increase their productivity enough to compensate for notably higher wages, and the amount of money other companies are willing to pay these people. But I see your point.
    Last edited by Vathdar; 2012-11-10 at 04:20 PM.

  9. #89
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,543
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    You are right. Technology is not inherantly good or evil, just like death ray and weaponized Ebola.
    The technology required to make a deathray isn't evil. Neither is the technology required to weaponize ebola. The splitting of the atom was used to kill 200,000 Japanese, but that in and of itself is not evil, it was also used to power thousands of cities. To weaponize ebola for example, would require modifying a virus so it can be dispersed in some form. Well, take Mass Effect 3 for an example; what if instead of using such a dispersal to spread a modified deadly disease, you used it to spread a modified cure for a rampant disease?

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  10. #90
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    18,370
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So you can be a more efficient laborer for massive corporations that now only hire augmented people because who cares if you can only bench 350 pounds, they want the guy who can pick up a steel I beam with one hand. Or perhaps they'll only hire a guy with augmented fingers that can type 300 words per second, with brain augments so he can think that fast as well.

    If we take it far enough, the benefits will start to outweigh the cost and the effects on society will become potentially devastating, or potentially beneficial.
    To be fair, I don't think the argument that augmented people will become prolific in manufacturing is necessarily valid, because the advantages of pure robots far outstrip that of humans save in specialised luxury products. Even the augmented fingers is not necessarily the way it will go; a direct brain uplink would be vastly more efficient.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  11. #91
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    To be fair, I don't think the argument that augmented people will become prolific in manufacturing is necessarily valid, because the advantages of pure robots far outstrip that of humans save in specialised luxury products. Even the augmented fingers is not necessarily the way it will go; a direct brain uplink would be vastly more efficient.
    But then that also depends on how quickly we develop AI capable of doing these tasks.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  12. #92
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    18,370
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    But then that also depends on how quickly we develop AI capable of doing these tasks.
    How quickly we develop -inexpensive- AI, you mean.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  13. #93
    I was thinking genetic enhancements would become the problem, Gattaca comes to mind. Though if we get both at the same time, genetically enhanced cyborgs, things are going to get weird.

    I'm not sure how many people will volunteer to get perfectly functional limbs hacked off and replaced though. Better or not. It'll probably be mostly for disabled rich people for quite a while.

  14. #94
    I'm quite sure laws would be set in place to prevent any kind of discrimination on the job.

    ...at least in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

  15. #95
    Pandaren Monk Auloria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    I'm quite sure laws would be set in place to prevent any kind of discrimination on the job.

    ...at least in Europe
    My first instinct says that Americans will discriminate against people WITH augmentation.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    My first instinct says that Americans will discriminate against people WITH augmentation.
    haha, yeah that's possible
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

  17. #97
    Bloodsail Admiral Vathdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,108
    But you can be sure that if people realy are willing to have their perfectly healthy body parts replaced and it's raking in money to the businesses making the prostethics, there will be plenty of advertising to make it look "cool" and so on. And you know what effect good advertising has on the masses...

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    Repairing/replacing them could be easier/cheaper than healing, also lack of pain is an advantage over natural limbs^^
    That is why genetic enhancements are the obvious choice Why replace parts when your body regenerates itself? Plus if there is another ice age anyone with robotic parts would be screwed. Also pain is a good thing even if you don't like it, there is a disease that causes people to not feel pain and they bite their tongues off or burn themselves. I guess you could argue that your mechanical limbs don't get infected.

  19. #99
    I'd rather have my sense of touch instead of "superior" mechanical limbs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •