Thread: Map of Racism

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    one of the wonderful things about being white is that every white racist in the world seems to think you agree with them. therefore you get to here about every racial view, unedited, as though you are a kindred soul. i can tell you, without question, the term "monkey" is a favorite for those clowns, right after the "N" word
    at first i'd get into with people over that. after 10 years of dealing with construction job sites full of decent people who thought that being racist was a great way to break the ice with every other white guy on the jobsite, i just don't say much and the subject changes quickly. people use that as a "how the weather today" line really, means nothing, the people who say it don't have a problem with black people in everyday life. they're as civil to them as anyone else

    but black folks do it too. mexicans as well. we're so NOT different when it comes to that it's almost funny. if people treat others like people, what they say behind closed doors really doesn't matter. let them be pretend racists then go into business with someone of another race because it benefits them both.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    People seem to think the CRA was eliminating racism in the minds of southerners. That doesn't seem to be the case at all.
    A decent marker for absolute raw hatred would be lynchings; the number of lynchings now compared to the early 1900s is strikingly different. Sure, it'd be nice to measure progress by something that isn't quite so vile, but this is still a reasonable indicator.

  3. #43
    Pandaren Monk Mnevis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,809
    I'll admit to being more amused than I should have been by the Bush-Chimp expression comparison images back in the day. It wasn't racist, but it probably came from something similar, an regionalist perception of his Texas Oilman Straight Shooter character as a dummy. Even when it's not racist, it's unkind to compare people to animals that aren't as intelligent as humans.

    Not the same thing though. Obama's more measured and cautious than almost anyone. No one buys that these guys are calling him a monkey because of his ears.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    where is the map about pro-obama tweets that mention his blackness in one way or another? probably isn't one. black racism isn't newsworthy
    Are you genuinely incapable of seeing the difference the difference between someone that likes black people and someone that hates black people?

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 05:53 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    after 10 years of dealing with construction job sites full of decent people who thought that being racist was a great way to break the ice with every other white guy on the jobsite
    I conclude that racist assholes aren't actually decent people and discard them rather than saying, "well sure, this guy's saying absolutely vile things, but they're not about me!".

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'm guessing a large majority of people who are actually racist don't even have twitter.

    I'm not talking about people who just throw around the N word. I'm talking about real, actual racism.
    in the SE USA, in the most redneck areas of alabama, mississippi, tennessee or georgia, you will probably never once hear a white guy say nigger to or in front of a black guy because that type of racism is 99.99999999% gone

    "real racism" nowadays is victimless or anonymous and online. today's racists aren't really racists. if beyonce went to the local neo-nazi meeting and starting shaking her fine ass, they'd get wood and that'd be about it.

    in the SE USA, the racism is secretly directed toward black and mexican MEN, VERY rarely will someone even say something racist about the females.

    the 60s are gone. that was racism. you don't see that anymore.

  6. #46
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    As a little side note, I work for a utility company in the North East. Before hurricane Sandy hit, we subcontracted a shit load of people from the south to survey damage etc. I was talking with quite a lot of them throughout the week. I'm genuinely shocked by how many people still describe black people as "colored."
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    at first i'd get into with people over that. after 10 years of dealing with construction job sites full of decent people who thought that being racist was a great way to break the ice with every other white guy on the jobsite, i just don't say much and the subject changes quickly. people use that as a "how the weather today" line really, means nothing, the people who say it don't have a problem with black people in everyday life. they're as civil to them as anyone else

    but black folks do it too. mexicans as well. we're so NOT different when it comes to that it's almost funny. if people treat others like people, what they say behind closed doors really doesn't matter. let them be pretend racists then go into business with someone of another race because it benefits them both.
    i usually say nothing, because the only responses i can formulate would escalate the situation severely, lol. a couple times i have been tempted to outright smack somebody in the mouth.

    i know other people do it. i have been on the receiving end of racially motivated attacks. i dont deny that it exists. the most racist dude i ever met was a black guy, who felt that a black man couldnt be racist by virtue of being black.

    my response there was more to the whole "monkey isnt racist" remark. and while i fully acknowledge that racism goes the other way as well, i firmly believe that racism hurt obama far more than it helped in the election

  8. #48
    I thought that the map all the networks were showing during the election was a map of racists: The blue areas were not racist, and the red areas were racist.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-10 at 12:21 AM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    As a little side note, I work for a utility company in the North East. Before hurricane Sandy hit, we subcontracted a shit load of people from the south to survey damage etc. I was talking with quite a lot of them throughout the week. I'm genuinely shocked by how many people still describe black people as "colored."
    The phrase "people of color" seems to be getting a lot of use in circles that tout "social justice". I don't really know when that became popularized, but it just sounds weird to me.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Are you genuinely incapable of seeing the difference the difference between someone that likes black people and someone that hates black people?

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 05:53 PM ----------



    I conclude that racist assholes aren't actually decent people and discard them rather than saying, "well sure, this guy's saying absolutely vile things, but they're not about me!".
    well i hate to break it to you but 100% of the people you know secretly think and say things that go against your beliefs

    and there isn't jack shit you can do about any of it. you can't change them and you're not above them. you have things that you believe that go against the beliefs of others

    society is nothing but keeping those beliefs from affecting how you interact with everyone else. tell me how a redneck who uses the word nigger ONLY if black people aren't around affects black people

    it doesn't, if you wanna feel sorry for people, feel sorry for the kids that grow up listening to that shit then being that guy in 20 years.

  11. #51
    This kind of "research" is dangerous because it can be so easily misinterpreted. With a sample size of only 365 tweets when reports were showing over 300,000 tweets per minute during the same post-victory-announcement period, we have to understand that this is a very very very small minority of people talking. There is always a lunatic fringe on both the right and the left. Yes, there are racists, but given that these represent such a miniscule fraction of tweets that were flying around during the same time frame, it has to be understood just how small that minority is, even where they are most concentrated. While I know it has been a talking point of the left that conservatives are racist, I think this data reflects that claim is closer to false than to true when understood in context that this is like a leaky faucet compared with the tsunami of tweets at the time.

  12. #52
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The phrase "people of color" seems to be getting a lot of use in circles that tout "social justice". I don't really know when that became popularized, but it just sounds weird to me.
    Yeah. I mean I dont think that its racist to say "colored people." I believe racism is defined by action and not by words. But just hearing someone else calling a black person "colored" was strange to me.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    People seem to think the CRA was eliminating racism in the minds of southerners. That doesn't seem to be the case at all.
    1. Construct an opinion someone else holds about the CRA knowing its wrong
    2. Attack said opinion

    k.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Yeah. I mean I dont think that its racist to say "colored people." I believe racism is defined by action and not by words. But just hearing someone else calling a black person "colored" was strange to me.
    I generally agree that racism is best defined by action against others (although language can be a marker for it). I know what you mean though, sometimes people say things that just sound archaic to me. I know there's no ill intent there though.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    As a little side note, I work for a utility company in the North East. Before hurricane Sandy hit, we subcontracted a shit load of people from the south to survey damage etc. I was talking with quite a lot of them throughout the week. I'm genuinely shocked by how many people still describe black people as "colored."
    i'm from teh SE, i have heard the word colored to describe black people more in this thread.

    they're far more fucking "colored" than african-american though, but just like hillbillies use colored as a proper term, a lot of americans who think they're hot shit and above the human disease will say african-american like that is better

    both are stupid, but i guarantee that calling them what they are, NEGROIDS, will make you look racist so what do you do?

    if i call a black guy down here a black guy, he will not care. i don't care that i'm a white guy. the people in the SE care about racism less than everyone else. it's just not a huge deal. all you people on the outside looking in are why it's in the media.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    1. Construct an opinion someone else holds about the CRA knowing its wrong
    2. Attack said opinion

    k.
    I feel like there's a name for this. Hay guy or something like that.

  17. #57
    It's pretty interesting what you can find with all this social media these days.

  18. #58
    Blademaster akredon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    skyrim
    Posts
    41
    was anyone really Surprised by this ?

  19. #59
    how come you didn't make a thread about all the pre-election death threats and riots against romney

    hmmmm






    just a few, actually was way more than that

  20. #60
    Herald of the Titans Waaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,538
    Quote Originally Posted by rt7 View Post
    how come you didn't make a thread about all the pre-election death threats and riots against romney

    hmmmm

    [IMG]http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/october2012/231012riot3.jpg[IMG]

    [img]http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/october2012/231012riot5.jpg[img]


    just a few, actually was way more than that
    Because those weren't due to his race. they were because he is a huge con artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •