Thread: Map of Racism

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    People that support things like BET and black history month are just as racist as people that call Obama a monkey.

And people that voted for Obama because of his skin color are just as racist as people that didn't vote for him because of his skin color.
    Goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    How's that 60 year old Civil Rights Amendment doing at eradicating racism in the South?

Terribly? Well jeez.
    The CRA was never about eliminating racism in thought, it was about eliminating racism in action. Racist tweets > whites only businesses.

Also in a very related topic the Supreme Court will be hearing arguments on the Voting Rights Act.
    http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/11/co...-rights-law-2/

Expect provisions that require pre clearance for states with racist histories to go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    Wow - one must have to be very angry to tweet from your hotel/timeshare in Cancún.
    Rofl, I noticed this, too. What a trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Only 365 tweets though. That's a ridiculously small number compared to Twitter's user base. If those were all the racist tweets that were written at that point, I tend to think of that as progress. In any case, it's just not a good enough sample size to make any kind of conclusion.
    pretty much. if i actually thought for a second that there were only 365 racist tweets i would consider it stunning progress. of course, many kept it to facebook or other social media, or just bitching to like minded people over beer. it is entirely possible that the majority of backwards bigots just dont tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    People that support things like BET and black history month are just as racist as people that call Obama a monkey.

And people that voted for Obama because of his skin color are just as racist as people that didn't vote for him because of his skin color.
    Goes both ways.
    Given that the difference between the number of black people who voted for Kerry vs. the number of black people who voted for Obama is pretty small, I'd say it's not a very large problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post

I'm confused as to what this picture is supposed to be? What obvious thing am I missing? lol
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow I can barely stand reading those Tweets...

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're right, it's in no way an authoritative map of racism, it's a fairly quick-and-dirty map of some of the most obvious racist election reactions on a particular social media platform. And most of those people who took to Twitter to denounce the President's re-election likely would have had something hateful to say if some white Democrat had beaten their Real American Candidate™.

If nothing else, we should take it as a reminder that other people are watching what we post online, and try not to appear like a terrible person. I'd like to be there when Chet Walken4GOP tries to run for City Council 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    racism got obama elected. the blacks who voted for obama because he is half black are as bad as the whites who didn't vote for obama because he's half black
    Finally, someone who actually understands the full meaning of the word racism. Anyone who thinks that discrimination only goes one way is completely ignorant. Treating those of another race in a derogatory fashion is just as bad as giving them special treatment just because of past wrongs. Racism will contine to play a major role in society until people realize that fact and just treat each other as equals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I'm confused as to what this picture is supposed to be? What obvious thing am I missing? lol
    It's a long-ass line to vote, one of the GOP's strategies to deal with the changing demographics of the United States. More specifically, it's an early voting line in my state of Ohio, where the Republican Governor and Secretary of State have worked hard to cut back on the availability of early voting.

In South Florida, people were still in line at midnight on election night. Same deal, Republican Governor cutting early voting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...o-vote/264506/
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2012-11-09 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trognar View Post
    Finally, someone who actually understands the full meaning of the word racism. Anyone who thinks that discrimination only goes one way is completely ignorant. Treating those of another race in a derogatory fashion is just as bad as giving them special treatment just because of past wrongs. Racism will contine to play a major role in society until people realize that fact and just treat each other as equals.
    people understand racism just fine. many just think the claim of "they voted for him because he is black!" is wildly overblown. were there people that voted for him for this reason? certainly. the question is how many

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    It's a long-ass line to vote, one of the GOP's strategies to deal with the changing demographics of the United States. More specifically, it's an early voting line in my state of Ohio, where the Republican Governor and Secretary of State have done a lot to cut back on the availability of early voting.

In South Florida, people were still in line at midnight on election night. Same deal, Republican Governor cutting early voting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...o-vote/264506/
    Yeah I live in Florida and the lines were ridiculous. But that just caused the people who were in these lines to wait in longer to make sure that these Republican scum bags didn't win.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Google...

george bush monkey
    About 5,480,000 results (0.20 seconds)

barack obama monkey
    About 11,800,000 results (0.25 seconds)

I'll posit that the difference in results here is ONLY a result of Bush not being president anymore. Note that both presidents here have very pronounced ears, a trait that is (a) not racially linked and (b) actually kind of common with people in power, as many "disarming" physical traits tend to be. You'll notice this on, for instance, some actors of any races.

So I don't buy that someone calling Obama a "monkey" is being racist, especially given that the more direct meaning of that term, someone who flings filth and shit and acts like a wild animal, possessing only base instinct and not intellect, is the sort of invective people would throw around at a politician whose views they disagree with.

Now, I'm sure some of those tweets ARE racist, but any article using the term "hate speech" is pretty biased to start with. And I don't think it's a surprise that the south would be more racist- that's literally where there is a higher percentage of racists.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The CRA was never about eliminating racism in thought, it was about eliminating racism in action. Racist tweets > whites only businesses.

Also in a very related topic the Supreme Court will be hearing arguments on the Voting Rights Act.
    http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/11/co...-rights-law-2/

Expect provisions that require pre clearance for states with racist histories to go away.
    People seem to think the CRA was eliminating racism in the minds of southerners. That doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    So I don't buy that someone calling Obama a "monkey" is being racist, especially given that the more direct meaning of that term, someone who flings filth and shit and acts like a wild animal, possessing only base instinct and not intellect, is the sort of invective people would throw around at a politician whose views they disagree with.
    one of the wonderful things about being white is that every white racist in the world seems to think you agree with them. therefore you get to here about every racial view, unedited, as though you are a kindred soul. i can tell you, without question, the term "monkey" is a favorite for those clowns, right after the "N" word

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Thats the queue going into the polling booths Im betting.
    Or someone giving free stuff away

Google...

george bush monkey
    About 5,480,000 results (0.20 seconds)

barack obama monkey
    About 11,800,000 results (0.25 seconds)

I'll posit that the difference in results here is ONLY a result of Bush not being president anymore. Note that both presidents here have very pronounced ears, a trait that is (a) not racially linked and (b) actually kind of common with people in power, as many "disarming" physical traits tend to be. You'll notice this on, for instance, some actors of any races.

Now, I'm sure some of those tweets ARE racist, but any article using the term "hate speech" is pretty biased to start with. And I don't think it's a surprise that the south would be more racist- that's literally where there is a higher percentage of racists.

Typing George Bush Monkey into google, and then clicking on the "Pictures" tab at the top has made me LOL something fierce.

Does that make me a racist?

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    people understand racism just fine. many just think the claim of "they voted for him because he is black!" is wildly overblown. were there people that voted for him for this reason? certainly. the question is how many
    no people don't really understand racism. they understand what white people can't say about other races since that's the only racism we discuss. whites aren't more racist than mexicans or blacks or asians (asians are probably the most openly racist when it comes to family-related matters)

where is the map about pro-obama tweets that mention his blackness in one way or another? probably isn't one. black racism isn't newsworthy

I don't believe for a moment that there's anyone sufficiently capable of playing pretend to actually talk themselves into the idea that there's absolutely no racist connotation in calling a black man a monkey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing a large majority of people who are actually racist don't even have twitter.

I'm not talking about people who just throw around the N word. I'm talking about real, actual racism.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.