Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    I care, therefore I have an opinion about it.
    I don't believe he's telling you that you can't have an opinion. He's just saying that, as a guest, your opinion holds little weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    But you could just take a look a Sweden, been voted the happiest country on earth and all their adults have firearms, though I dunno about their crime rates but I would assume their pretty low outside of massive displays of public violence
    Sweden is an odd one, they love guns but they see it as a privilege, like driving, more than an actual right to own. There's a degree of respect and responsibility for the use of fire arms there, the registration process and permit clauses are detailed.

Switzerland is an odd one, over there you don't get a choice, you're legally required to own a gun. Yet their laws are far more restrictive than those in America.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I don't believe he's telling you that you can't have an opinion. He's just saying that, as a guest, your opinion holds little weight.
    Well if he doesn't care about my opinion why does he even bother to post that he doesn't?

I care, therefore I have an opinion about it.
    your smug and abrasive attitude is much more likely to get you shot, or stabbed where you live then a trip to america will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sidetracking from the discussion now. Let's not go into semantics about who's opinion matters and who's doesn't.

We have a report button for people who are rule breaking, outside of that people's opinions are their own. Disagreeing with it does not invalidate it by default.

Quote Originally Posted by beuwulf View Post
    your smug and abrasive attitude is much more likely to get you shot, or stabbed where you live then a trip to america will.
    Since guns/knives are controlled there are very little on the streets and very little used in impulsive actions. So I'll most likely get punched in the face.

Short version of my opinion stated in all my previous posts: I would be happy with some sort of (positive) change in the US' current gun laws, and you can't deny me that opinion.

Anyways, good night everyone, I'm off.
    Last edited by staart; 2012-11-10 at 05:29 AM.

It's not true.

But I hope it becomes true.

Thanks for the laughs either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect the issue isn't so much that we have guns, as much as it is that too many who shouldn't have guns, do. Ran a range once where someone actually fell asleep on a sixty with the trigger pulled. It was bunker suppression too so the first one that ran up got a leg full of 7.62. However, if the owner is responsible, accountable, and takes proper care of his tools? Then I see no reason not to let him have weaponry. Its good to wish for a better world. Even better to work towards it too. However, until humanity kills the various breeds of monsters that nestle within ourselves. There will be times when having, and using, a firearm is not only appropriate, but downright justifiable.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by overclockedamd View Post
    Try again. Threaten me with a ban as i Did nothing that infringed upon the rules.
    Posting to call someone a troll IS an infringement of the rules.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    What if you don't have children? What if the man 'breaking into' your house is not a robber, but actually your teenage son returning very, very late from a party and didn't want to wake you up?
    This actually just happened not too long ago.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Tesclo View Post
    And as I responded to in an early post, I said that not everything needs to end with a gunshot. Simply scaring the guy away with dogs or a loud yell can do the job just fine. But why tempt fate? What if that guy DOES have a gun? As slim as it might be, then what? You're unarmed and he has a gun and your family is in the house. Then what?

I respect your opinion because you've stuck with me this long to actually talk instead of insulting me like the others. People are capable of assessing the situation on their own. By no means am I saying as soon as someone breaks in just start firing shots. But if it's either that guy that broke in or my family? Yes, it's time to start shooting.
    You're assuming the guy broke into your home with the intent of causing physical harm on you and/or your family. If someone breaks into your home at night, unless you made some SERIOUS enemies off the people you met in the past, 99 out of 100 the guy is just in there to take your possessions, with no intention of ever disturbing you or your family's sleep.

"Take whatever you want and leave" works well in these cases. Now if you pull out a gun to that guy, you don't get to claim 'I'm protecting my family', because your family was never the thief's intention. All he wants is to get some loot, and leave. You're just protecting physical property, much different than the 'protecting your family' you claim.

Use. Appropriate. Force.

Well if he doesn't care about my opinion why does he even bother to post that he doesn't?
    Ah the internet. Full of general shitheadery, as quoted above.

Infracted
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-11-10 at 06:55 AM.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

A majority of card-carrying NRA members actually support reasonable gun controls. One can assume these people don't listen to Al Jones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by overclockedamd View Post
    I offered you the same option. Care to leave? Tell me more about the USA laws.
    I'll ask this again, since you seem to have missed it the first time: do you find the "if you don't like it, leave" argument as being a valid answer to a complaint about local laws?

10+ Year Old Account
    So out of all the of the "issues" we're facing, you pick guns as the deal breaker?

I'm all for reasonable people being allowed to have guns to hunt with and to protect themselves/family if it ever came to that.

Not every person should just be able to get a gun/permit whenever they feel like it tho. Stricter gun controls aren't a bad thing if all you're trying to do is protect people you love.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2012-11-10 at 05:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I suspect the issue isn't so much that we have guns, as much as it is that too many who shouldn't have guns, do. Ran a range once where someone actually fell asleep on a sixty with the trigger pulled. It was bunker suppression too so the first one that ran up got a leg full of 7.62. However, if the owner is responsible, accountable, and takes proper care of his tools? Then I see no reason not to let him have weaponry. Its good to wish for a better world. Even better to work towards it too. However, until humanity kills the various breeds of monsters that nestle within ourselves. There will be times when having, and using, a firearm is not only appropriate, but downright justifiable.
    This is one of the biggest global perceptions about American gun law. You mention Americans and guns and you get the mental image of a sterotype redneck shooting off for the sake of LOUD NOISES, who tries to solve every problem conceivable by using a gun.

Alternatively you get the gangster/rapper image of every kid having a 9mm stuffed in his trousers and thinking guns solve disputes in a quicker and easier way than any alternative would.

Now in both instances there are examples that back the stereotype, but they don't reflect the status quo, however America is perceived as somewhat lax and reckless with gun responsibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I'll ask this again, since you seem to have missed it the first time: do you find the "if you don't like it, leave" argument as being a valid answer to a complaint about local laws?
    Why bother repeating yourself to get some kind of validation, he MADE the arguement to being with, therefor he obviously follows it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    This actually just happened not too long ago.
    Also had one where a guy shot someone breaking into his neighbor's house that turned out to be his kid. Plus the guy who broke up an attempted shooting spree by yelling and throwing furniture at the shooter. Lets not forget all the gun violence happening in Mexico over the last couple of years.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Also had one where a guy shot someone breaking into his neighbor's house that turned out to be his kid. Plus the guy who broke up an attempted shooting spree by yelling and throwing furniture at the shooter. Lets not forget all the gun violence happening in Mexico over the last couple of years.
    It just occured to me that if they ban guns in the US, it will just be another black market money scheme for the Mexican cartels to use, like drugs currently are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

15+ Year Old Account
    Closing.. and here's why...

I want a gun control thread that is going to address both sides of the issue. I want a thread that is intelligent and doesnt use some crappy youtube diatribe as its source for bad information.

If someone wants to create a balanced and respectable thread then I'm game. The OP of this is just... not up to snuff for this serious topic.