Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Why people prefer Skype,Vent and TS over RaidCall?

I tried TS Vent, Skype and RC. And i dont get why many people prefer Vent,Skype and TS over RC, cas RC is totally free and works just fine.

I mean Skype have 10 players max limit and u have to manually add evry person to conversation,in RC u can simply can create room and set password and then you go, and RC works well even if you doing 40man hk's farm premades in AV or something. I also found RC even easier to configure and use then Skype

I have used RC in arena,rbgs and 40man AV premades and had none problems, so im just wondering if some one could tell me why many people prefer TS,Vent and Skype over RC? Maybe im missing something

I've yet to use any free program which is as easy to use as skype, with the same sound quality personally.

-Grim

10+ Year Old Account
    Because TS Skype and Vent have been around for much longer. You are just missing the fact that people prefer to use something that works, and wont go out of their way to find something else when they have had no problems with their choice of communication.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

Skype for 1 on 1 and Mumble for more, i prefer mumble cause its opensource, so im running my own server with unlimited users

Quote Originally Posted by svettleif View Post
    Skype for 1 on 1 and Mumble for more, i prefer mumble cause its opensource, so im running my own server with unlimited users
    I prefer skype for anything basically 5people or less, but I have had 7-8 in a convo before and it worked too

Every mumble server ive been on sounds like the walkie talkies I had when I was 13.

Im pretty sure you can run a local server with vent as well, havent looked into it tho.

I've never even heard of RaidCall
    Someone in our guild gets TS for free so we use that

Quote Originally Posted by Affectionate View Post
    I prefer skype for anything basically 5people or less, but I have had 7-8 in a convo before and it worked too

Every mumble server ive been on sounds like the walkie talkies I had when I was 13.

Im pretty sure you can run a local server with vent as well, havent looked into it tho.

Only like an 8 slot one or something though. That said as other have already said it's mostly tradition at this point but I still love skype for most uses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah skype is great for 1x1 because Skype works almost like IM software like MSN Messenger and ICQ, and Skype have many awesome stuff like dinging from 2 different audio cards.

Horever Skype missing voice recording and easy/simple push-to-talk option for dummies like TS,RC and other voice chatting software.

Raidcall is probably the best program in terms of functionality and quality it's true, but people just prefer to use what they already have installed.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

We use mumble, and it's always seemed nice quality to us, better than our experiences of vent and TS.

I tried raidcall and wasn't that wowed by it a while back. It seemed ok, but nothing amazing (imo)

Skype is lacking PTT for raiding

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    We use mumble, and it's always seemed nice quality to us, better than our experiences of vent and TS.

I tried raidcall and wasn't that wowed by it a while back. It seemed ok, but nothing amazing (imo)

PTT is needed not only for raiding but for evrything else , and even in 1x1 chat, expect serius high end arena/rbgs when u dont have time for pushing button for talking.

I mean i want people from Skype to hear my voice only when im talking to them, and not when im talking to my family or something so whenver i use Skype im using third-party software for muting microphone, push-to-talk, and other stuff.
    Last edited by Luckx; 2012-11-10 at 03:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    Because TS Skype and Vent have been around for much longer.
    i prefer mumble cause its opensource, so im running my own server with unlimited users
    ^ /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    skype is actually the perfect ptt isn't it? the only major problem with skype is that you actually need good bandwidth to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    PTT is needed not only for raiding but for evrything else , and even in 1x1 chat, expect serius high end arena/rbgs when u dont have time to push button for talking.

I mean i want people from Skype to hear my voice only when im talking to them, and not when im talking to my family or something so whenver i use Skype im using third-party software for muting microphone, push-to-talk, and fixing voice.
    Well, I wasn't suggesting the lack of this function would only be a problem for raiders... I was talking from personal experience, I only use skype for casual games of LoL, and international family calls, neither of which i need a PTT key for personally.

more people use skype. If im looking to find people to do arenas with they always use skype, I doubt they'd use anything else.

Deleted
    Nice Viral Thread

Also Mumble is really shit, sounds like a can of beans or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mumble is better, but I use Vent for compatibility.

If you play a lot of games it winds up being Vent and Teamspeak (can't stand it) for chat
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraytwist View Post
    Nice Viral Thread

No? The sound quality is great... perhaps you just didn't set it up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraytwist View Post
    Nice Viral Thread

Sounds like you either set your mumble up wrong or your server provider is awful. We had to swap server providers because our original sucked horribly.

I've never heard of RC.

Personally, I despise Skype. I've never NOT had problems with it. From poor voice quality to constant drop-outs, it's not a service I'd recommend for anything or to anyone.

I hate Ventrilo almost as much. EVERY. SINGLE. GODDAMN. TIME I use it, I have to manually reset the sound for EVERY person because for some reason one person will be loud one day and quiet the next. Shits me up the wall.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

I have nothing against using something other than vent, but I have to know it works. I've used Skype for 1 to 1 chats, TS I hate.

In addition, when I saw the title my first response was "wtf is Raidcall?", which pretty much answers your question.