Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Blizzard...get hacked? Blizzard has never been hacked. Even the hackers and people who create botting programs have said: "Blizzard is bulletproof." There have been security breaches maybe, where encrypted information may have been leaked out (and Blizzard always warns its users to change their information), but there has never been a single case of compromising user information (login/password/credit cards) by Blizzard in the 16 years I have played their games.

It is very easy to get information from the player's end though, as there are plenty of idiots who use the same login/password for 14 different types of forums and their WoW account. Security on forums is so much more lax, hackers are able to fish out entire databases of login/password data at a time and just plug them all into different MMOs. This is how the vast majority of accounts (across any game) come to be compromised.

Authenticator is free, the protection it grants is amazing, but it isn't 100% foolproof. That said, I don't think there have been many cases if any at all of people's accounts being hacked while having an authenticator.

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Quote Originally Posted by abovebeyond View Post
    Blizzard...get hacked? Blizzard has never been hacked. Even the hackers and people who create botting programs have said: "Blizzard is bulletproof." There have been security breaches maybe, where encrypted information may have been leaked out (and Blizzard always warns its users to change their information), but there has never been a single case of compromising user information (login/password/credit cards) by Blizzard in the 16 years I have played their games.
    Just for the record, Blizzard was recently compromised only a couple months ago.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    You a WoW user knows all about marketing and better than McDonald's?

Snorting Kool-Aid isn't healthy, dude.
    That...isn't what he said at all. He said that McDonalds operates under extremely different practices than Blizzard, because they offer vastly different services under vastly different circumstances.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    "At this time, we’ve found no evidence that financial information such as credit cards, billing addresses, or real names were compromised. Based on what we currently know, this information alone is NOT enough for anyone to gain access to Battle.net accounts."

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    "At this time, we’ve found no evidence that financial information such as credit cards, billing addresses, or real names were compromised. Based on what we currently know, this information alone is NOT enough for anyone to gain access to Battle.net accounts."
    Sorry, I didn't realise you were selectively defining "hacked" and "user information" in a way that didn't include things like their email address and security questions and answers being accessed as the result of a security breach.

To most people, that would be considered a hack and that would be considered having their personal information compromised.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

Obviously he does because he has the basic level intelligence to realize that World of warcraft and the fast food market are not interchangeable.

Why do you use the word "fanboi" and "WoW user" every single post you make? It really just weakens any points you have because anyone can tell you're deeply biased(If it wasn't already obvious from your signature). Pretty sad.

I'd say 99.9% of the hack situations are the users fault. There are very rare cases of Bruteforcing, however that would have to happen to someone with something precious(Eg. a fuck ton of gold + rare items), even then it's rare.

Having a good Anti-Virus is your best bet against keylogging, my Anti-virus updates every day if there are new keylogging software out there that they have found. Also you can download a Key Scrambler program that will work 100% against Keylogging(as the program scrambles the key entries so if you were to type "hello", the scrambler would make it like "mcazi" and the Keylogger would read that).

Anyone with experience of the "internet" is wise enough to know what to click and what to not click, you must learn if you decide to run with Windows Firewall only.

He doesn't even talk about marketing in your quote.

This gave me a smile ...

Media training 101 ...

Note the "at this time" - part. It's one of those catch-all cover your ass you can say anything you want tricks.

Let me demonstrate:
    "At this time, we've found no evidence or indication yet that World of Warcraft has more subscribers than Guild Wars 2. Based on what we currently know, Guild Wars 2 is the most popular online game of this century."

Good luck trying to sue me for what I just said, even if it was a whole load of a bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    This gave me a smile ...

Media training 101 ...

Note the "at this time" - part. It's one of those catch-all cover your ass you can say anything you want tricks.

Let me demonstrate:
    "At this time, we've found no evidence or indication yet that World of Warcraft has more subscribers than Guild Wars 2. Based on what we currently know, Guild Wars 2 is the most popular online game of this century."

Good luck trying to sue me for what I just said, even if it was a whole load of a bullshit.
    First of all, off topic, second of all GW2 didn't reach over 10mill yet, so Blizzard is fine still (just had to add)

Now back to the third part of the hacking view, not sure I understood right, but heard rumors that it was a dumbass in the company that copied the details, not hacked.

And back to topic, buy an authenticator or not. Your choice, Blizzard offers the service relatively cheap atleast not worth bringing to court.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

I see you STILL can't accept facts (which BTW Surfd's post is nothing BUT facts) if they don't agree with your side of the argument, which you never had from the beginning.

Still think Blizzard is the only online service/website that should require AND give free authenticators out?

The amount of idiocy in this thread is mind-blowing. Why do people think Blizzard is on the hook for losing this lawsuit (not saying they won't pay the guy to shut-up because they know full well they won't recover court costs from him) but literally no other online company in the world is REQUIRED to use them, let alone give them out for free?

this is rather bull. The mobile version of the authenticator is free. The physical one you only pay for the materials it cost to make it.

And here is the kicker. you arent forced to get one...

This gave me a smile ...

Media training 101 ...

Let me demonstrate:

If either company or company that sells their products never released any info, that would be right, but it's not.

The correct example would be: "At this time, we have no evidence that Obama is actually good for the country because his plan(s) take so long before we can start seeing results from it."

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    this is rather bull. The mobile version of the authenticator is free. The physical one you only pay for the materials it cost to make it.

And here is the kicker. you arent forced to get one...
    If you follow the logic of those who think Blizzard is wrong and will be paying out millions from this lawsuit, it's simple because it's Blizzard and they offer an authenticator. That is literally the ONLY reason I have gathered from people in this thread.

They still can't comprehend that it's an additional layer of optional security to protect yourself. They would absolutely lose the lawsuit if they required authenticators but never made mention of you needing to buy them until you activate the account, but they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    If either company or company that sells their products never released any info, that would be right, but it's not.

The correct example would be: "At this time, we have no evidence that Obama is actually good for the country because his plan(s) take so long before we can start seeing results from it."
    The point you missed is that the phrases "at this time, we" or "based on what we know" are among the list of keyphrases they teach you in media training 101 to avoid responsibility for your statements. They allow you to say whatever you want even if it would turn out to be complete rubbish, even if it is already complete rubbish.

People who are familiar with media training or resource criticism will see those 2 phrases used in Mike Morhaim's statement and know that Blizzard either:
    a) had no clue wether or not some users had their information compromised (this indicates a lack of security measures and incompetence/doubt, especially 1 week after the facts)
    b) knew that some users had their information compromised

If they truely believed that no user information had been compromised, they would not have phrased their wording the way they did, because there are other factors to take into account when you want to reassure your customers, and doubt is never the best way to profile yourself, doubt is only extremely good if you want to cover your ass against responsibility for your statements.

PR is like a chess game, but you'll only start figuring out the puzzle once you learn to see the pieces. Those who don't see the game are the ones PR is designed for so they can be kicked around on the field without knowing they're being bullshitted all the time. (Which is about 99.99% of the customers).
    Last edited by Rochana; 2012-11-11 at 01:50 PM.

PR is like a chess game, but you'll only start figuring out the puzzle once you learn to see the pieces. Those who don't see the game are the ones PR is designed for so they can be kicked around on the field without knowing they're being bullshitted all the time. (Which is about 99.99% of the customers)..
    Or you know, they actually just mean "At this time" because they were carrying out an ongoing investigation. *tinfoil hat* Sometimes an apple is just an apple, even if you can't resist the urge to try and apply your 'Media training 101'(whatever that is).

This gave me a smile ...

Media training 101 ...

It's a cover for when things DID happen.
    You can't say "Nothing happened, we promise!" and afterwards find out it did happen.
    It's not an excuse to lie, like your example:

Let me demonstrate:

That'd be a lie, since the information we have WoW has more subscribers.

Judging from the wild assumptions, bad comparisons, and terrible analogies you have made just in this thread alone, I can only conclude that you are speaking from personal experience here.

The point you missed is that the phrases "at this time, we" or "based on what we know" are among the list of keyphrases they teach you in media training 101 to avoid responsibility for your statements. They allow you to say whatever you want even if it would turn out to be complete rubbish, even if it is already complete rubbish.
    Only if you can reasonably claim to be unaware. They aren't quite as all-encompassing as you make them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    I didn't complain about paying the $10 for my security.
    You are paying for their security, not yours.

I think this Benjamin Bell is a gold-digger and i hope he ends up with a huge bill for his attorney.