Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    It's pretty much Blizzard's fault. The authenticator should be shipped with the product, or sent after an online purchase.
    The money saved in not having to restore compromised accounts because Mr. Noobie didn't know what an authenticator even is to get one (other games don't have a need for them, as other games aren't a botting/gold farming delight with 10 million players, so how can you expect them to know they need it?).

It's common sense to nip the problem in the bud at entry. Not wait for the damage to be done and clean up the mess, later.

It's certainly a cheaper price for doing business than letting SKs and gold farmers destroy accounts, and letting the lawyers clean out the till to fix it.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    So explain again, please, why it is appearently Blizzard's job to go above and beyond the call of duty to protect your account from compromises that occur on YOUR end of the computer? There are millions of people out there with Bnet accounts who don't have an authenticator, and have not been compromised. The vast majority of them don't have an authenticator because they dont want one. Why should they be forced to use what is currently an optional, increased form of protection, because a bunch of internet newbies fail at basic home computer security.

Plain and simple, beyond the existing basic protection of a Login and Password for your B.net account, Blizzard is not, and should not, be required to provide any other service. It is acceptable for multitudes of other online services, it is acceptable for Blizzard.

Protect your own bloody computer and stop expecting Blizzard to wipe your ass like an overprotective parent.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 05:05 PM ----------

Yeah, No. It is not Blizzards fault that you cant manage to protect your own computer. Stop expecting everybody else to clean up after your mistakes.
    Their account name is half the problem, so no, you're absolutely wrong.

Good lawyers can serve as an impenetrable wall of "justice" if they're good enough.

Not going to go anywhere.

1. Authenticators are OPTIONAL.
    2. They have a free smartphone authenticator.
    3. No personal information was stolen during the hack.

I might also add, that if you aren't smart enough to protect your computer, and you DO end up hacked, they tend to offer you a FREE authenticator through your e-mail. My friends all got theirs that way. I got mine through a twitter contest.

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Their account name is half the problem, so no, you're absolutely wrong.
    From the edit I made to my post as you were posting this:
    Also, it takes about 20 seconds in the Battle.Net account managment page to change the Email associated with the account, thereby generating a new Login name. 1 minute of work on Bnet and Gmail, and you have a new login, tied to a new Email, that has never been seen anywhere else online but the Bnet databases. Never use that email anywhere other then Bnet, and you have pretty much rendered your account theft proof from everything short of a keylogger running on your machine.

99% of the time, the reason they have your Email in the first place, is because they troll game related forums looking for people who were dumb enough to expose their email for the world to see. A large percentage of the time, people posting on WoW forums probably registered to that forum with the very email they use as their Bnet account.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2012-11-11 at 05:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So explain again, please, why it is appearently Blizzard's job to go above and beyond the call of duty to protect your account from compromises that occur on YOUR end of the computer?
    So explain to me why Blizzard even got compromised before MoP? Your beloved leader -- with blue book in hand -- got compromised requiring all it's NA subscribers to change their password.

And you're smug about other people being responsible?

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and start seeing reality: no one is safe.

Not the Pentagon. Not NASA.

Not you.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I'm pretty sure Blizzard owns all "our" accounts, so when 'your' account gets hacked 'you' are not losing anything. Blizzard's account is getting hacked, and Blizzard's character is getting his gear sharded and sold and his money sent off (amusingly to another character Blizzard owns). I don't really see how you can sue someone because your log-in security for an account you don't own gets compromised. That'd be like if I gave my e-mail password to a friend and then suddenly changed it so he couldn't log in any more, then deleted everything sent and received.

Also, Surfd, you're a couple decades too late. "Personal Repsonsibility" is a "four-letter word" these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    I'm pretty sure Blizzard owns all "our" accounts, so when 'your' account gets hacked 'you' are not losing anything. Blizzard's account is getting hacked, and Blizzard's character is getting his gear sharded and sold and his money sent off (amusingly to another character Blizzard owns). I don't really see how you can sue someone because your log-in security for an account you don't own gets compromised. That'd be like if I gave my e-mail password to a friend and then suddenly changed it so he couldn't log in any more, then deleted everything sent and received.

Also, Surfd, you're a couple decades too late. "Personal Repsonsibility" is a "four-letter word" these days.
    They actually lost ownership of the accounts with Real ID. They own our characters, etc. but they cannot own an account with someone else's name tacked to it. It's illegal. They own the virtual data associated with the account, as I said, but we do indeed own the account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    I might also add, that if you aren't smart enough to protect your computer, and you DO end up hacked, they tend to offer you a FREE authenticator through your e-mail.
    :Thunk:

Repairing the damage afterwards has always been proven to be more costly, time consuming, and flat out NOT a common sense way to treat the problem.

We have people arguing the price of the authenticators. Arguing they lose profit on them. Meanwhile oblivious of the millions lost in man hours alone over the years restoring/fixing/watching/programming -- AFTER the fact.

Authenticators should not be optional. IT should be the price of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    They actually lost ownership of the accounts with Real ID. They own our characters, etc. but they cannot own an account with someone else's name tacked to it. It's illegal. They own the virtual data associated with the account, as I said, but we do indeed own the account.
    Ah. Thank you kindly for the clarification, sir! I am edified. =D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    So explain to me why Blizzard even got compromised before MoP? Your beloved leader -- with blue book in hand -- got compromised requiring all it's NA subscribers to change their password.
    They required everyone to change their security questions and answers (for which there was an automated process), they recommended people change their passwords.

That's different to what you wrote.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    I don't really see how you can sue someone because your log-in security for an account you don't own gets compromised.
    If you think you're confused now, just wait to the dust is settled on RMT laws in the US and EU. Because then it's not about in game gold.

And you're smug about other people being responsible?

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and start seeing reality: no one is safe.

Not the Pentagon. Not NASA.

Not you.
    OH. MY. GOD.!!1!!11!!!1!??!?1!?

In their current run of nearly 10 years, Blizzard has had their internal account databases compromised a tiny amount. Probably something like twice or three times? And suddenly the world is ending?!?!

News flash my friend. Nearly EVERY Major entity that ever plugged a computer into the net has been compromised at some point in their existance.

The lawsuit has almost NOTHING to do with compromises on Blizzard's end, other then a little blurb at the very end where the guy sueing Blizzard takes a stab at them for supposedly not following legal prociedure regarding reporting the most recent breach.

The Meat of the Lawsuit has to do with the claim that blizzard is somehow wrongfully profiting off of sales of an OPTIONAL, user end security measure, based on the assertion that the standard level of account protection offered out of the box is insufficient. Which is horseshit, since it is NOT Blizzards duty to make sure YOUR computer is secure, or that YOU are not a drooling, Intenet Illiterate moron.

Blizzard being accountable for compromise of THEIR systems leading to data compromise is NOT IN ANY WAY equal to Blizzard being accountable for compromise of YOUR system leading to data compromise.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2012-11-11 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    They required everyone to change their security questions and answers (for which there was an automated process), they recommended people change their passwords.
    If Blizzard can be compromised, you can be. No password in the world is going to help you.

It's like trying to argue with kids why they can't have ice cream after dinner. -_-

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 12:28 PM ----------

News flash my friend. Nearly EVERY Major entity that ever plugged a computer into the net has been compromised at some point in their existance.
    Rest my case.

Now stop spreading nonsense that only the individual is responsible.

It's a mutual relationship.

Deleted
    If Blizzard can be compromised, you can be. No password in the world is going to help you.

It's like trying to argue with kids why they can't have ice cream after dinner.
    ?! what does that have to do with anything? You said they required people to change their passwords, I showed you that was wrong, what that has to do with ice cream I have no idea.....

It's like trying to argue with kids why they can't have ice cream after dinner. -_-

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 12:28 PM ----------

Rest my case.

Now stop spreading nonsense that only the individual is responsible.

It's a mutual relationship.
    The level of sheer stupidity you are displaying is reaching critical mass here.

Did you seriously try to compare the breach of sensitive data on a corporate network (such as the Breach of the Blizzard account database) to people getting malware and keyloggers because of bad browsing habits!??! Are you bloody kidding me?

How do you manage to post something that dumb while honestly believeing you are somehow making a logical arguement?!?!

Infracted. - ML

There is a WORLD of difference between what happened to Blizzards servers to result in data compromise, and what happens to the general internet user to result in data compromise.

When a user is compromised, the VAST majority of the time they are effectively GIVING their info away, either by visiting bad sites, clicking phishing email links, or generally doing dumb things. No amount of security will prevent that. That is why most of the people who DO get compromsied without authenticators, end up almost immediately getting compromised AGAIN after they get their account back.

When someone like Blizzard is compromised, it is because someone out there made a concerted effort to attack their systems.

Trying to compare the two is about as dumb as comparing someone being injured because they were Intentionally Attacked, to someone being injured because they walked into an open manhole.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-11-12 at 01:45 AM.

Deleted
    I doubt you suffer from dementia, so do try remember what you actually posted.
    OK Let me make this simple, because you seem to have problems understanding what's going on.

I've even bolded the bit that's wrong, because they didn't.

See this link here:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

I'll quote the important bits:

In the coming days, we'll be prompting players on North American servers to change their secret questions and answers through an automated process
    That's not the password.....

As a precaution, however, we recommend that players on North American servers change their password
    See that word there, that's recommend, that's not required.

Now I imagine given the way some of your posts are worded that it's a language issue here, but when you say they required everyone in NA to change their password, you are wrong, as I've shown above.

The rest of the rubbish you spout I don't really care about, I just want you to get your facts right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the concept of mutual relationships and their responsibilities.

Those without something in this fight can understand cutting costs of repairing damage after the fact is good business sense. Businesses do this every day, looking for ways to cut the fat. But for some strange reason, there's people here who support the fat to even grow. Easier to blame the individual and make the authenticators optional, as it's easier to compromise and share accounts...right, Surfd?

Deleted
    Look at his reply, honestly it's not worth wasting your time on him, you asked him how he could relate someone at home being hacked and a company being hacked and he brings up relationships and fat cutting?

If he can't answer a challenge he pulls something our of his ass unrelated to what's being discussed and carry's on......

The sad part is the signature, he's done this lots, to have 6,000 posts deleted.....can you imagine the sheer amount of irrelevant crap in there!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    Look at his reply, honestly it's not worth wasting your time on him
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent, instead of against the opponent's argument.[1]

Pretty tiring to see, especially in the quantities seen on this forum.