Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    How about you think again.....
    It's the optional part they are after... it shouldn't be optional, it should be a default part of the product.
    Plus it wasn't always free...
    Why? Please explain why it should be a default part of the product?

Blizzard already uses the basic, industry standard, security protection for their product. A user unique Login Name and Password. This is pretty much the EXACT same security feature used by your Bank, Credit Card Company, Phone Company, Internet Company, Email Provider or hell, pretty much any imaginable service you can use online.

Why should Blizzard be expected to go beyond that standard by providing you an optional, additional Security Level for free, when your bank, credit card company, or phone company does not?

Should Google be required to mail an Authenticator to the user of every Gmail account just because the technology exists? Should my Bank?

What about Cars? All cars ship with these cool things called keys, that act kind of like a password to prevent un-authorized users from starting my car. But there are these optional things, like The Club which can be used to physically lock the steering wheel, which would prevent someone who stole your Car Key, or Hotwired the car, from taking your car and driving off with it. Should all Automotive Retailers give you a free Club because you might be too stupid to protect your keys, or because you might live in a dangerous part of town where your car could get hotwired?

I mean, what next? You demand Blizzard ship authenticators with every box just so the idiots who cant figure out basic Internet Security can have that extra, optional level of protection but why stop there? Maybe Blizzard should also be required to ship a free version of an industry leading Firewall Program and Virus Scanner too? I mean, those are also optional things you have to pay for that improve your security, right? Maybe Blizzard should also include a complimentary install of Firefox and No-Script with their products as well? Don't like Firefox? Tough, now you cant access any Blizzard product if it detects that you use any other browser other then Firefox.

As to the Free / Not Free authenticator thing, please do not try to turn that into any kind of arguement. The App is free, but you still need a phone to use it (HEY, I know, Blizzard should TOTALLY give every Battle.NET user a FREE PHONE, just so they can use the app). If you dont want to have to make sure your phone is always on hand, or you dont have a phone, THAT is what the Keychain Hardware version of the authenticator is for.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2012-11-10 at 01:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it. Authenticators cost money to make. The games are priced as they are, and not more expensive because they come with an authenticator.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Its a lot more legit than other shit I've seen.
    That's like saying a pile of shit is less pungent than another pile of shit. They both stink, and have no value to most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Why? Please explain why it should be a default part of the product?

Blizzard already uses the basic, industry standard, security protection for their product. A user unique Login Name and Password. This is pretty much the EXACT same security feature used by your Bank, Credit Card Company, Phone Company, Internet Company, Email Provider or hell, pretty much any imaginable service you can use online.

Why should Blizzard be expected to go beyond that standard by providing you an optional, additional Security Level for free, when your bank, credit card company, or phone company does not?

Should Google be required to mail an Authenticator to the user of every Gmail account just because the technology exists? Should my Bank?

What about Cars? All cars ship with these cool things called keys, that act kind of like a password to prevent un-authorized users from starting my car. But there are these optional things, like The Club which can be used to physically lock the steering wheel, which would prevent someone who stole your Car Key, or Hotwired the car, from taking your car and driving off with it. Should all Automotive Retailers give you a free Club because you might be too stupid to protect your keys, or because you might live in a dangerous part of town where your car could get hotwired?

I mean, what next? You demand Blizzard ship authenticators with every box just so the idiots who cant figure out basic Internet Security can have that extra, optional level of protection but why stop there? Maybe Blizzard should also be required to ship a free version of an industry leading Firewall Program and Virus Scanner too? I mean, those are also optional things you have to pay for that improve your security, right? Maybe Blizzard should also include a complimentary install of Firefox and No-Script with their products as well? Don't like Firefox? Tough, now you cant access any Blizzard product if it detects that you use any other browser other then Firefox.

As to the Free / Not Free authenticator thing, please do not try to turn that into any kind of arguement. The App is free, but you still need a phone to use it (HEY, I know, Blizzard should TOTALLY give every Battle.NET user a FREE PHONE, just so they can use the app). If you dont want to have to make sure your phone is always on hand, or you dont have a phone, THAT is what the Keychain Hardware version of the authenticator is for.
    A bit harsh and direct, but this basicly explains alot.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    No they havent. The mobile ones are just as secure as the dongle itself. If anything your friends were using some sort of emulator, but even then, there are only a hand full of people that have been honestly fallen for the man in the middle attack.
    They might've been. People with jailbroken iphones are susceptible to man-in-the-middle hacks on authentication devices.

Just for fun, I thought I would go through the actual article linked, and highlight some choice bits of retardery:
    Bell claims that game players have to pay $6.40 for a product called the Authenticator to protect their private information from hackers.
    Sales of Authenticators, which come as a physical product or download, have brought in $26 million, according to the complaint.
    You HAVE to pay? Odd, I don't recall any of my Blizzard products preventing me from logging in before I ordered my Authenticator. I CHOSE to pay for one. Because I wanted the extra peace of mind. Also, I love the way the article lumps Physical and Download authenticators into the same statement, even though blizzard has never, EVER charged for a Downloadable Authenticator App.

Bell claims that Activision and Blizzard require gamers to use online accounts at the Battle.net website, which collects and stores customers' private information.
    Blizzard puts the onus on gamers to buy additional products or tighten security on their devices, rather than making customer accounts more secure, Bell claims.
    "Defendants negligently, deliberately, and/or recklessly fail to ensure that adequate, reasonable procedures safeguard the private information stored on this website. As a result of these acts, the private information of plaintiffs and class members has been compromised and/or stolen since at least 2007," according to the 33-page complaint.
    RE: My earlier post: To gain access to a Battle.net account, you need a login and a password. Oddly enough, those are the EXACT same things you need to get into: My Online Banking Website, My Credit Card Company's Website, My Steam Account, My Cable Company's Website, and my G-Mail account, among other things (which all would probably give you access to the same amount or more of my personal data then my B.NET account). Why is this level of security acceptable for those companys, but not for Blizzard?

"Most recently, on or about May 19, 2012, reports proliferated that class members' Battle.net accounts had suffered a security breach ('hack') at the hands of unknown parties ('hackers'), and on or about August 4, 2012, hackers massively breached Battle.net's security and acquired the private information of all of defendants' customers in the United States, as well as the remainder of North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia."
    Though account details for millions of gamers were compromised or stolen, Bell says, neither Activision nor Blizzard took "the legally required steps to alert" gamers.
    A: Direct compromise of Blizzards databases has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with Authenticators or the User End of Account Security, and is COMPLETELY IRRELIVANT to the intent of the Class action suit.
    B: Pretty sure Blizzard made several press releases about the breach and you can be damn sure they took "the legally required steps" when dealing with the fallout. Companies that big dont have a stable of lawyers on their payroll for nothing.

Bell seeks class damages and an injunction to bar the defendants from "tacking on" undisclosed costs after customers have bought games, and from requiring them to sign up for Battle.net accounts.
    Seeing as an authenticator is in no way REQUIRED to either access the game OR protect your personal information, I really dont see that going very far.
    As to somehow removing the requirement that you sign up for a B.NET account, I am not sure what the hell he is thinking there, since you would still have to have some kind of account for billing to bill.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2012-11-10 at 01:44 PM.

I'm pretty sure the $6.95 is to cover shipping and processing. You do not get charged for the physical product at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    I'm pretty sure the $6.95 is to cover shipping and processing. You do not get charged for the physical product at all.
    Well, it mainly covers shipping, processing, advertising and a slice for producing it. But seems the one making the case wants everything for free.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    it's not remotely legit, it will get thrown out, Blizzard will have its time wasted and whichever boneheads brought the "case" to the attention of these bottom-feeding lawyers will lose whatever amount of money they paid said lawyers.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 07:27 AM ----------

Banks do the same thing, some don't even report it until a whistle-blower brings it up.
    It is more legitimate than a woman sueing P Diddy for causing 9/11 and demanding 1 trillion dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, it mainly covers shipping, processing, advertising and a slice for producing it. But seems the one making the case wants everything for free.
    No, what he really wants is Blizzard to act like some kind of Helicopter Parent who is forced to attempt to protect the vast masses of the Intenet Illiterate from Themselves, instead of, you know, letting them take responsability for their own fuckups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    No, what he really wants is Blizzard to act like some kind of Helicopter Parent who is forced to attempt to protect the vast masses of the Intenet Illiterate from Themselves, instead of, you know, letting them take responsability for their own fuckups.
    Sounds about right too, I don't understand why a community like ours has so much need of holding hands. I mean, yes, we need to work together but we don't need to be followed all the way up to the door. This isn't kindergarden, Blizzard gave us the basic security procedure like thousands of services/companies does, and then Blizzard thinks, "Oh, we might want to prove ourselves better by offering an additional service to our clients so they can feel safer".

I mean, if your security isn't already good enough at the basics then you may need to check your "health" of your system. The authentication system is there to give the additional edge to feel safe, and avoid "standard" hacking. I find Blizzard awesome for doing this, they give you a key to your door, and just to be safe, they offer that you can buy a padlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    It is more legitimate than a woman sueing P Diddy for causing 9/11 and demanding 1 trillion dollars.
    Both being totally useless and serving only to cost the courts time and taxpayer money, I think they're approximately equal, really. One is more hilariously ridiculous, but both equally pointless.

" Bell claims that game players have to pay $6.40 for a product called the Authenticator to protect their private information from hackers."

Bell is a complete and total idiot with not the feign-est understanding about how the Authenticator works. I can't wait until he gets to court, blizzard explains that they have not now nor ever made the claim that the authenticator has anything to do with securing private information, and this idiot gets laughed out of the building then counter sued.

The authenticator prevents others from accessing your account without it's code if they find out your info from completely unrelated things (being keylogged). Blizzard has no such security leak that causes this to become an issue such that any person needs an authenticator. (In other words blizzard doesnt leave your info around, if a hacker gets your password it's because you let it get stolen not blizzard).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammahtime View Post
    One sure fire way to get people to use the authenticators - include them in the games themselves.

For retail boxed versions - put the physical one in.
    When I played I didn't want to use an authenticator due to log-in speed / convenience. Keeping a dongle around is bothersome as you have to rummage around your desk to pick it up every time; if you get disconnected during a crucial moment in a raid you want that speed as well. Never got hax0red, but I use an auto-updating antivirus and firefox+noscript, also kept my bnet password unique to avoid that risk. I just realized I haven't used windows update for a while though, doing now...
    Facile pi?

BEWARE:

I get annoyed easily by people who are slow-minded, and people who spell badly. Oh, and if you want to use the "not my first language" excuse, it isn't mine either.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's honestly kind of insane.

I've played several MMOs and in every single one of them people got hacked. Some companies cared more about keeping their customers secure than others by providing them with means of extra security like authenticators. I did like Aion's PIN number system once they added it, however I never found anything I felt as secure with as a Blizzard authenticator.

I've never known anyone who has gotten hacked with one. I recently started playing (and have stopped playing) a newer MMO that launched without any sort of security measure aside from password. People were getting hacked left and right and contacting the company might result in them getting the hacked account back but the company refused to restore any of the items they lost or characters lost if they were deleted. If someone wanted to continue playing after that they had to start from scratch.

Sounds like the guy in the lawsuit is just after something. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    But I can see what he's coming from. They don't do much to stop hackers.
    No one hacks bnet accounts. Idiots who download keyloggers are the ones "getting hacked".
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/08/52109.htm

This is just silly. Blizzard breaks even with the authenticators, and possibly loses money. I have received a free dongle from just calling up and asking for one. Not to mention you can get one for free if you have a device that can support the app.

Class action lawsuits are supposed to actually force a company to fix a problem.

What do you think?
    I'm REALLY curious on how they "deceptively" make millions. Deceptively making millions from it, to me, would be them REQUIRING you to have one, making no mention of it, and then when you install the game, and activate the account they tell you that you NEED to buy it.

I'm confused how anyone can make a claim that selling a product that is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL is something to sue over.

EDIT: Still lol'ing at people who think you can hack an authenticator account.
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-11-10 at 03:29 PM.

Deleted
    People were getting hacked left and right and contacting the company might result in them getting the hacked account back but the company refused to restore any of the items they lost or characters lost if they were deleted. If someone wanted to continue playing after that they had to start from scratch.
    that is because past reasonable security protocols on the server the company has no other liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    That's honestly kind of insane.

I've played several MMOs and in every single one of them people got hacked. Some companies cared more about keeping their customers secure than others by providing them with means of extra security like authenticators. I did like Aion's PIN number system once they added it, however I never found anything I felt as secure with as a Blizzard authenticator.

I've never known anyone who has gotten hacked with one. I recently started playing (and have stopped playing) a newer MMO that launched without any sort of security measure aside from password. People were getting hacked left and right and contacting the company might result in them getting the hacked account back but the company refused to restore any of the items they lost or characters lost if they were deleted. If someone wanted to continue playing after that they had to start from scratch.

Sounds like the guy in the lawsuit is just after something. >.<
    That my friend is just piss poor customer service. They deserve the failure they got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammahtime View Post
    One sure fire way to get people to use the authenticators - include them in the games themselves.

For retail boxed versions - put the physical one in.

For digital copies - make em download the mobile device app. Pretty sure most people that play the game have access to a mobile device these days. If not, then they will need a physical one sent for free (not even postage cost).

Then require it to be used on EVERY single log-in.

Right now, I only have to use it 1 day a week and it's the same day every time and almost the same time of that day. It hasn't changed dates for me in 4 months so I know when to expect it. It used to be random.
    I said that long ago...while we were still in LK....that when Cata shipped it should include a keyfob one...I also stated if you don't have or want to use authenticator then you don't get to log in plain and simple....years back much of GM and rest of the workers of blizzard were tied up recovering accounts for the idiot players out there that should of never been online in the first place much less in MMO game....I think it should be mandatory to use one to play WoW.

But then you will have those that say I know how to keep my system secure, I don't get hacked...fine...you can play without one but if your hacked..then you have to get one and use it for rest of you time in game. And Hammahtime you can make it have you use authenticator each and every time you log in ...go to your account page and there is a box there you click to force you to use one each time you log in ....it was put in about a year ago when folks complained they were not being asked for code when blizzard changed then.