Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Making the best of what you've got: Hair/Beard styles for the overweight guy?

Well, good news: I've lost 14 lbs in this past month! Bad news: I still have a ways to go to get to a weight I think I'll be happy with.

Well, I'm at a point where I at least feel confident enough to start putting some effort into my appearance again. It's been about 8 months since I've had a haircut, so it's long enough that I have plenty of options. As well, I'm a firm believer that you have to think about your hair-cut when deciding what to do about facial-hair (ie. you don't want a super-sculpted beard with messy hair).

Right now, these are kind of the three choices I'm thinking about:

1. The "Surfer guy" look. Just leave my hair kind of long and let it hang in my face. I know a lot of girls seem to dig that look on guys, but I question whether that would work with a heavier guy. Not the way I'm leaning, but just keeping an open mind. I'm thinking with a really light beard. I have red-hair, and as much as people joke on it, I would argue that the actual hair-color looks pretty good when it's longer (it's just the pale skin and freckles that come with it that suck :P).

2. The "clean-cut" look. Basically, just basic short hair, cropped on the sides, a tad messier on top. Probably keep it clean-shaven, or maybe a chin-only goatee and maybe slightly longer sideburns. It's nothing super interesting or anything, but it's obviously a Classic look, and might look more natural.

3. The "Bald guy" look. I'm hesitant to go with this, because honestly, I'm a "ginger", so I'm pale as shit, lol. On the other hand, it seems like it would be really comfortable, and worse case scenario, I'm overweight anyways, so I'll just grow it back out as I continue to lose weight. Plus, it seems like when a guy *is* able to pull off the bald look, it seems like girls *REALLY* like it. Not saying I could pull it off, but... who knows?

15+ Year Old Account
    Shave it all. #2 bit.

face, head.. it looks decent and is comfortable too

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering different hair styles look different on various people, it's really hard to give an opinion without a picture. With that said, I haven't met any redheads that pull off the surfer look well; it's pretty tough for a lot of people, actually. In terms of going bald/shaved, it's hit or miss. My brother is a "ginger" as well, and he's worn his head shaved for a good portion of his life. Truthfully, I think my brother looks better with hair than without it. In my opinion, short or medium length hair works pretty well for redheads. Again, it's hard to make a judgement call on the beard without a picture. Some things work for some people and not others, it all just depends on the structure of the face and head. If you are going to do a beard though, keep it short and clean. None of this "stands inches off your face" shit. In any case, I remember you making threads talking about weight loss; way to stay with that. Grats on the 14 pound loss
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-10 at 08:50 AM.

Well, it seems that you're going through some changes in your life in regards to girls, i also had to in the past in order to get a gf, and actually lost a lot of weight ( like 80 pounds) xD.

Tbh, the best look you can have is looking clean and healthy. Most beard don't actually look clean, and i would advise you to avoid having a beard, unless you are some rare kind of person that actually looks sexier with a beard. About the hair, just use what you feel like it's best on you, but i would advise you to keep a clean look overall.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with #2 if I was in your position.

Deleted
    I tend to not like beards on guys that are not overweight. But on dudes that actually are overweight, chubby or fat, I think a tad longer hair with a beard+moustache-combo is awesome, and suits most of them really well. I guess it's not a loot most women prefer though. But seeing as you said you are ginger, imo this long hair/beard/moustache-look could make you look a bit like a burly viking, and that's pretty cool and vikings are hot.
    In all seriousness though, just go with whichever look you feel the most comfortable / happy with. It's your face so, do what you enjoy with it ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    If you are going to do a beard though, keep it short and clean. None of this "stands inches off your face" shit.
    OP, do not listen to this madman!

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with the look of the chubby guy from Lost.

Deleted
    needs a pic to give any true opinion

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Listen to my fellow viking!Let this shit grow long!

Since you have 8 months worth of hair growth, I'd say let it all grow out. The beard too.

Just go straight mountain-man style because ginger beards are awesome. Get in touch with your Scottish roots!

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    Go with the look of the chubby guy from Lost.
    And this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Lol it's funny how I briefly thought of you when I wrote that. In all honesty, yours is pretty sweet. Very few people can pull off what you've got going on in your avatar :P

One more vote for the viking look, not only is it awesome, it's sexy too

I think #1 is horrible for fat guys. #2 is probably best for you atm.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Option 1 is good if you live in a tropical country. When you go to the beach and that, having long hair, especially red hair, is actually quite attractive.

Option 2 is meh. I personally prefer to have my hair short, but if your's is has big as you say, you shouldn't go for option 2, or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Shave it all. #2 bit.

face, head.. it looks decent and is comfortable too
    What he said. I think #1 is hard to pull off correctly (and if you don't, it probably looks like shit).

I'd be inclined to go with number two. To me, bigger dudes with long hair look kind of silly, and bigger dudes with shaved hair look kind of intimidating. I'd go fairly short, but with that slightly mussed look, and either clean shaven or a bit of scruff, depending on what you're up to on a given day.

The girlfriend wants to know:

How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

Also, what are you trying to achieve? A job? Girlfriend? All around acceptable appearance?

Deleted
    Not sure but if youre overweight, a little beard that shows where your chin is supposed to be is kind of mandatory..

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Not sure but if youre overweight, a little beard that shows where your chin is supposed to be is kind of mandatory..
    Just do not over trim it to make a fake jaw-line. That doesn't work:

You need a full beard, and for the hair on top... hmm, either shave completely or leave it an inch-ish thick everywhere maybe?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__