Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Like I mentioned before it's a awesome addon, now I can't survive without him .

Only thing that I advice to change it's the colours, they could be more opaque. Like a green/yellow/blue/red that will bleed our eyes. ^^

Really loving this addon, lets me know exactly what strength my dots are at and when its the most opportune to refresh.
    Thunder. Thunder. Thunder cats gooooooooooo!

Man, greaaaaaaat addon, simple, light and working!!

Thanks again!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nipil View Post
    Almost. IMHO, the simplest form would be :
    - Green = recast it NOW.
    - Yellow / Red = don't do anything
    - Blue = wait a little until it turns green

Edit: fixed the color names
    No, the blue is more complex than this.
    Blue means you currently have better procs, but your dot(s) are within their first half and therefore refreshing them will "waste" part of the GCD you sued to apply them. So you gotta make your own decision, based on how many dots you could refresh with an instant SB:SS. For example if your three dots are blue, you can probably safely SB:SS a new fresh rack of dots with higher stats.

The reason you don't want to 'wait till they turn green', is that you might loose an important proc before your dot passes 50% of its duration (and goes green). Therefore instead of going green, it could go red.

AND RED IS BAD

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Excellent addon, thanks so much.

As a sidenote: A little more flexibility in appearance would be awesome.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    No, the blue is more complex than this. (aka waiting for it to turn green)
    Yes of course it's more complicated, but i definitly think that's a valid approximation on average. Here is how i came to that conclusion so you can see where it comes from : (hope i'm not too confusing when drawing charts !)

Current dot :
    Old Dot Power: _____________________________________________________________
    Proc uptime. : _____________---------------------------_____________________
    Previous dot : |-01-|-02-|-03-|-04-|-05-|-06-|-07-|-08-|-09-|-10-|-11-|-12-|
    Color of dot : RRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGX

If refresh right at dot turning blue (refresh before 4th tick):
    Old Dot Power: ____________________________________________________________
    New Dot Power: _______________------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    Previous dot : |-01-|-02-|-03-|-04-|-05-|-06-|-07-|-08-|-09-|-10-|-11-|-12-|-13-|-14-|-15-|-16-|-17-|-18-|-19-|-20-|-21-|-22-|-23-|-24-|-25-|-26-|-27-|

If refresh right at dot turning green (refresh at 6th tick) :
    New Dot Power: ______________________________------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    Previous dot : |-01-|-02-|-03-|-04-|-05-|-06-|-07-|-08-|-09-|-10-|-11-|-12-|-13-|-14-|-15-|-16-|-17-|-18-|-19-|-20-|-21-|-22-|-23-|-24-|-25-|-26-|-27-|

Observations
    • In both cases, the refresh generated 18 ticks of empowered dots, so that can't be the reason why you would wait for green.
    • The reason that in this case you'd wait for green is that if you refresh earlier (when blue) you "lost" some ticks's worth of refresh time, ticks you wouldn't have lost if you had waited for green.
    • In that example, what you lose by refreshing on blue, is cast-time. Why cast time ? Because you refreshed earlier and you would need more refresh on the overall for the same dot uptime.
    • And losing cast time means that if you didn't lose it you would have spend it doing damage via another spell (same as haste threshold for dots which frees you cast-time)

That's why the best thing to do is to wait for a dot to turn green if the proc would last until the dot enters the pandemic compatible window.

Question is : how likely would it be that the proc lasts until pandemic ?

That's a simple question to answer : synapse 12 sec, potion 24 sec, dark soul 20 sec, Darkmoon 15 sec, Elegon 20 sec, Jade 12 sec.
    So on average, all last equal or longer than the longest of our pandemic dot duration (agony 12, corruption 9 unstable 7).

Looking at these numbers, there's a very high chance that whenever you have a proc, the proc would on average still be up when the dot enters pandemic.

The only exception being when you get a synapse/jade proc right at the exact same time you put/refresh agony, which is kind of unlikely without splitting hair ... :-)

My conclusions :
    • if your dot is blue and the procs will last until it turns green, don't refresh yet and wait for it to turn green.
    • if your dot is blue and the procs will be expired when it would turn green, you'd better lose cast time than empowered dot, so refresh it now

And again, i'm open to discussions and corrections :-)

Edit: added colors
    Last edited by mmoc79483d36b0; 2012-11-14 at 01:44 PM.

Deleted
    My conclusions :
    • if your dot is blue and the procs will last until it turns green, don't refresh yet and wait for it to turn green.
    • if your dot is blue and the procs will be expired when it would turn green, you'd better lose cast time than empowered dot, so refresh it now
    I totaly agree with this !

I just started using this last night, and wow. Me and Affdots, BFF forever. It's doing great things for my affliction dps, which goodness knows needs the help.

Yes of course it's more complicated, but i definitly think that's a valid approximation on average. Here is how i came to that conclusion so you can see where it comes from : (hope i'm not too confusing when drawing charts !)

Current dot :
    Old Dot Power: _____________________________________________________________
    Previous dot : |-01-|-02-|-03-|-04-|-05-|-06-|-07-|-08-|-09-|-10-|-11-|-12-|
    Color of dot : RRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGX

If refresh right at dot turning blue (refresh before 4th tick):
    New Dot Power: _______________------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

If refresh right at dot turning green (refresh at 6th tick) :
    New Dot Power: ______________________________------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Observations
    • In both cases, the refresh generated 18 ticks of empowered dots, so that can't be the reason why you would wait for green.
    • The reason that in this case you'd wait for green is that if you refresh earlier (when blue) you "lost" some ticks's worth of refresh time, ticks you wouldn't have lost if you had waited for green.
    • In that example, what you lose by refreshing on blue, is cast-time. Why cast time ? Because you refreshed earlier and you would need more refresh on the overall for the same dot uptime.
    • And losing cast time means that if you didn't lose it you would have spend it doing damage via another spell (same as haste threshold for dots which frees you cast-time)

That's why the best thing to do is to wait for a dot to turn green if the proc would last until the dot enters the pandemic compatible window.

Question is : how likely would it be that the proc lasts until pandemic ?

That's a simple question to answer : synapse 12 sec, potion 24 sec, dark soul 20 sec, Darkmoon 15 sec, Elegon 20 sec, Jade 12 sec.
    So on average, all last equal or longer than the longest of our pandemic dot duration (agony 12, corruption 9 unstable 7).

Looking at these numbers, there's a very high chance that whenever you have a proc, the proc would on average still be up when the dot enters pandemic.

The only exception being when you get a synapse/jade proc right at the exact same time you put/refresh agony, which is kind of unlikely without splitting hair ... :-)

My conclusions :

And again, i'm open to discussions and corrections :-)

Edit: added colors
    Great post I neither had the time nor the energy to write up while at work. I understand this is what the OP pretty much says, but it's much more in-depth for those who may not fully understand Pandemic/benefits of having empowered dots. Would like to see it added to the OP.

My conclusions :
    Makes sense, and this is kind of how I played before I used the addon. The only question is, does the math hold up? If so, I feel like Ridcully could easily add another conditional to distinguish between these two events.

I'm so happy you made this. A month ago I was posting on boards offering to pay someone to build this addon, but I had no takers.

10+ Year Old Account
    My conclusions :
    For the most part, yes, but I'm not sure it's always that black and white. What if you need to target switch by the time your DoTs enter the refresh window, and what if that target will let you refill your soul shards when it dies? Sometimes it may be better to get your buffed DoTs up sooner and make the most out of your current shards and MG before you need to get on the add. Of course, this depends on how many soul shards you currently have, how long the add will be alive, etc.

The start of the Elegon fight comes into mind, when you may have 5 or 6 different buffs up. Since you can be a little more liberal with your soul shard use there, IMO it's worth burning one once your buffs are up even though you are nowhere near the refresh window. If your raid is good about add killing and you don't get shafted on shards you probably have time to refresh them with full buffs a second time.

I haven't done the math on this, and it's hard to because the strength of your DoTs varies a lot depending on your buffs, but I would expect losing a global cooldown's worth of MG would be worth getting fully buffed DoTs up for an extra 10-12 seconds, at least when the only dps loss comes in the form of losing a global (since I'm assuming the ability to refill your shards is present).

Hum, heres an idea for an improvement. could you change the numbers in the box to a + / minus comparison of the spell damage changerate? like sure the thing might be yellow or blue but theres a huge difference between deciding to recast early if your spell damage change compared to the original casting of the spell was +10k (Assuming everything goes off at once...4000 for pot, 3200 for DMF trinket...Tailoring embrodery etc). vs recasting and losing 7k damage vs the last cast if most buffs are gone.

This might also eliminate the need to keep an eye on your own trinket buffs since you could pretty quickly learn what your top, mid, and normal tier numbers are ..

hm after the update affdots is kinda invisible...i can do whatever i want but it doesn't appear like before it got patched.
    any1 got some ideas how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Homerta View Post
    I totaly agree with this !
    Tbh with proc durations being known, and dot durations also known. It should be possible to code so that the addon suggests (goes green) to update dots before the pandemic window becomes available.

For example addon determines dot power is higher now than when dots were last updated. Addon checks the two dot powers to see whether updating dots before pandemic window is reached is a dps increase taking into account time needed to update the dot. Addon then checks to see if procs empowering you will be over before pandemic window is reached. Addon then based on all this shows green (update the dot) or red (don't update the dot).

Doing this would require a fair amount of math coding though.

1.04 update
    -Hopefully a more successful positioning bugfix. Current addon position will be reset.
    -Focus target frame (enable in options)
    -Will not forget stuff when entering/leaving combat
    -Treshold for blue color, set to 10% by default with available range from 1 to 25. It means that dot will be shown as red unless you current stats are at least x% better, in which case it will turn blue. Use slider in options to change value.
    I hope there are not many bugs this time, I'm really not good at writing addons
    Last edited by Ridcully; 2012-11-15 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
    1.04 update
    \I hope there are not many bugs this time, I'm really not good at writing addons
    Might possibly be the 2nd best adddon personally right after ForteX.
    keep up the awesome work,

Deleted
    Well you did an awesome job matey

Deleted
    Very nice job! It really improved my dps... I love it!

The only thing is:

After downloading the latest update (this morning) i get error messages when i want to check/uncheck boxes in optionpanel and im unable to make changes at all

Deleted
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you

Simply amazing add-on, does exactly what it says it does.