Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    DoTs damage depends on target debuffs as much as Chaos Bolt does.

Affldots is just an addon that calculates damage of your spells by looking at your current stats, it would be easy to implement one more formula (Chaos Bolt formula) and display its results in destruction profile. Players that play destruction can then easily decide when is optimal to cast Chaos Bolt.
    Custom warlock script for Ovale Spell Priority addon
    http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/ova...script-wip/#p1

When is the optimal time to cast CB?

Also, is there a way to incorporate racial buffs into Affdots? As an orc I've got Blood Fury but don't see a change in DoT power when I pop it. Sorry if there's an easy solution already built in.

I would leave to the players to decide when is optimal to cast Chaos Bolt, addon could just provide players with current power of Chaos Bolt.

It is usually advised to pool embers and cast Chaos Bolt during Dark Soul, but as players get better stats, those stats affects embers generation rate, and people are forced to cast Chaos Bolts in between Dark Soul periods. Those Chaos Bolts should be cast when they are most powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by MordorFires View Post
    Also, is there a way to incorporate racial buffs into Affdots? As an orc I've got Blood Fury but don't see a change in DoT power when I pop it. Sorry if there's an easy solution already built in.
    Works fine on level 1 test character. Any additional details?

Quote Originally Posted by randa View Post
    It is usually advised to pool embers and cast Chaos Bolt during Dark Soul, but as players get better stats, those stats affects embers generation rate, and people are forced to cast Chaos Bolts in between Dark Soul periods. Those Chaos Bolts should be cast when they are most powerful.
    Burst frame can track those things. Although it checks Immolate damage (being mainly dot oriented addon), bigger number should accurately indicate bigger damage increase for CB outside of DS.

Chaos Bolt damage isn't calculated the same way as Immolate damage, as it is greatly affected by effects that increase crit rating or crit damage. It is believed that warrior spell Skull Banner http://www.wowhead.com/spell=114207 benefits a lot to Chaos Bolt damage. Addon that accurately calculates Chaos Bolt damage would give answers to a lot of questions posted here.

I feel a power calculator for CB would be more misleading than anything else - perhaps a burst calculator would be where it fit in well.

The difference Randa between DoT damage depending on debuffs and CB damage depending on debuffs is that DoTs snapshot your buffs but not the target debuffs. If I put up DoTs before the boss goes into burn phase, the DoTs will hit harder when he reaches burn phase. That's why AffDots is good, I put up DoTs independently of the boss being in burn phase or not (or in actuality, I would rather not put up DoTs, but channel MG).

I don't think trying to "automate" the class is the solution compared to simply doing its stated purpose (DoT power tracking), and I guess this is why I say a CB power tracker would be misleading. It says "!!!Hey, your CB is at 205% power, cast now!!!" when in fact, that may not be the best time to actually cast the CB.

---

[edit] Maybe Ridcully can clarify and maybe I'm wrong, but I got that the intent of the addon was to try to "remember" your DoTs and *compare* the current DoT power to your existing DoTs - note the word "compare"

Casting DoTs when I have 3 procs up may be wrong, if I have better DoTs already up. I never thought the addon's purpose was to replace manually tracking procs in the first place - if I recall, such tracking is actually encouraged in the addon guide.

Chaos Bolt has no such effect. If I have 3 procs up, it's always better to cast the CB than if I didn't. Thus such a tracker would do nothing that manual proc tracking doesn't already do.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-02-02 at 09:13 AM.

I don't think that you played demo or desto with this addon lately, as addon has moved from this initial function, that you describe, to cooldown and secondary resource tracking, for these two specs.

All I want to say is that there exists a market for an addon which will let people to see when their Chaos Bolt is more powerful, with skull banner, one trinket proc and weapon proc, or with two trinket procs and lightweave, for example. I know one could take a pen and paper and calculate these things, but addon in much more elegant solution.

All I want to say is that there exists a market for an addon which will let people to see when their Chaos Bolt is more powerful, with skull banner, one trinket proc and weapon proc, or with two trinket procs and lightweave, for example. I know one could take a pen and paper and calculate these things, but addon in much more elegant solution.
    And Chaos Bolt doesn't work like Corruption, Doom, Shadowflame, or Immolate.

Let's say you get a !!150!! power chaos bolt. And you use your ember. Then when your !!!375!!! power chaos bolt comes, the opportunity for you to save your ember has passed.

Similarly let's say you get a !!250!! power chaos bolt but you think you want to wait for a few more procs that for some reason you know are coming (even though you were too lazy to do the actual pen/paper for the values). Then oh, it turns out, you're only at !175! power. Well, sucks for you, because the opportunity to use that !!250!! power CB has passed.

The addon ain't so great then, is it? So you might as well have done it on pen and paper.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-02-02 at 04:46 PM.

You are arguing that specific feature should not be implemented in a addon that you don't maintain, for a spec that you don't play? Why do you do that, what's in it for you? From your posts I can only conclude that you are contrarian by nature.

This feature would simplify my game(life?). If this get implemented I wouldn't need to lose hours of my time to look for an information hows Chaos Bolt damage exactly calculated, what are all possible combinations of procs that affect Chaos Bolt damage, then I would need to calculate all them even if I am not that good with the math and at the end I would need to memorize order of those combination. But when I get some other item that generates some other proc, I would need to do all this again

So here I make my plea to the addon author to preserve WoW as game to me, don't let it be some math exercise.

I use the "proportional bars" feature but regarding the bars of Rain of Fire and Conflagrate this option makes no sense. Can you exclude them?

You are arguing that specific feature should not be implemented in a addon that you don't maintain, for a spec that you don't play? Why do you do that, what's in it for you? From your posts I can only conclude that you are contrarian by nature.

This feature would simplify my game(life?). If this get implemented I wouldn't need to lose hours of my time to look for an information hows Chaos Bolt damage exactly calculated, what are all possible combinations of procs that affect Chaos Bolt damage, then I would need to calculate all them even if I am not that good with the math and at the end I would need to memorize order of those combination. But when I get some other item that generates some other proc, I would need to do all this again
    My argument for not including it is that it would be misleading to players. You have to use base power for Chaos Bolt, and unlike DoTs, having >100% base power on a CB doesn't mean casting the CB is good.

So my argument was that it's misleading to players to include it (bad), and even for advanced users its no help anyway (so no good).

[edit] I guess my point is that I'm trying to be objective when I say the feature isn't a good one (and is hence bloat), not trying to be like "We can't have nice things"
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-02-02 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
    Works fine on level 1 test character. Any additional details?
    Sorry, I stripped off my gear and used BF while practicing on a Target Dummy and it worked. Don't know, have only used Affdots extensively on one raid night. It's entirely possible the times I've popped BF have coincided with other buffs falling/proccing and me just not noticing the boost. I'll report back if it seems buggy during raid again, but probably just a mistake of mine.

Also, just wanted to give a thanks for this addon. I've been struggling a bit to keep up lately in raids (I really need to do better on UA uptime), but I think this is going to help me out.

Deleted
    If possible the addition of profiles would be a great help to set the addon up for different situations

A video guide on how to use affdots would bee good for the new locks to come.

Proc/cd/icd watcher attempt:

Green - active procs, blue - ready but not activated/procced, yellow - incoming procs. No configuration, it knows about trinkets from MrRobot list, Dark Soul, racials, professions, potion, Heroism, banner, tricks, enchants, Sha/Protectors/Garajal buffs. Things that have cd/icd are always shown (except potion and Heroism), other things are shown only when active.

Any comments?
    Last edited by Ridcully; 2013-02-06 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
    Any comments?
    This is godlike!!

Godlike too ! I was getting lost by "what is the best weak aura display so it's not getting in the way of my dot tracker..And affdots mainframe...And MSBT ... and..."

Deleted
    This is great! Does it come with an icon view? or just bars?

Ok then, I'll get beta ready ASAP Should be ready tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nryka View Post
    This is great! Does it come with an icon view? or just bars?
    Bars. Basic idea is to show how future procs overlap.