Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you get nostalgic over items?

I'm not sure if I should be feeling this way or whats going on but..

Today I threw out my old monitor. It was some cheap 20" Asus, I got from my parents as a gift when I got accepted in the university but more importantly, it was the last remaining item from that time when I was so poor, had to count every cent and reuse and re-reuse everything imaginable and I spent so many years staring that monitor. I was planning on using it as a small wall TV or maybe mail/weather/etc monitor on top of my regular ones but it broke.

Anyway, Im not going to write a wall of text but when I was taking it in the trash, I felt like someone had died and the sad part part is, Im not even that nostalgic. /sigh

Yeah, a bit. I traded in my '04 Acura RSX on a new car and definitely felt a bit nostalgic about it. Also, I replaced my hybrid bike with a road bike, and felt a bit sad because I liked the hybrid and it's what I learned to ride on. In both cases, the new item's a lot better though.

Deleted
    I some times get nostalgic over some stuff.

When I went digging on the attic, I saw a lot of stuff from my kindergarten, drawings, dolls, etc, it's not that I remembered everything, but somethings gave me memories of how I was and what I used to do, good and bad moments.

The one thing that always makes me nostalgic is my Pokemon Cards. xD I loved to collect cards, especially Pokemon, every time I see them I always get kinda sad or just depressed that I can't buy them again, open the bag, and take them off! I loved to do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I some times get nostalgic over some stuff.

When I went digging on the attic, I saw a lot of stuff from my kindergarten, drawings, dolls, etc, it's not that I remembered everything, but somethings gave me memories of how I was and what I used to do, good and bad moments.

The one thing that always makes me nostalgic is my Pokemon Cards. xD I loved to collect cards, especially Pokemon, every time I see them I always get kinda sad or just depressed that I can't buy them again, open the bag, and take them off! I loved to do that.
    Yea.. when I was little, I promised myself that I will never obsess over old stuff and complain how it used to be so much better "back in the day". In fact, I still think it sucked back in the day and Im always willing to try new things.. but the memories..

In fact now when I think about it, I have a hard time throwing anything old away. So unless they're completely broken and useless, Im keeping them somewhere "just in case" or repurpose them.

I sometimes visit my dad and he leaves most of the stuff I had in my room where it was. So when i'm in need of something I feel like I might have left in the room for whatever reason, I always stumble into old things I grew up with and brings back fond memories.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has never happened to me. I'm usually hesitant to throw things away but when I do I never miss them. I've never really grown attached to a specific item. I might be attached to what that item does like a computer screen or my computer, but I miss nothing when I replace them with a new version

10+ Year Old Account
    Could never throw away my Action Man toys or Legos, NEVER! Sometimes I get probably a bit overnostalgic, because when I visited Florida this summer, I can't even throw the plane tickets away

Deleted
    Yes i dont like to throw anything when i was younger my mom had to convince me i was never going to use my old broken shoes BUT THEY WERE MINE DAMNIT.

I guess thats why i still have everything from Lego to the first power rangers Megazord toy still intact still have a few old Star Wars toys from the early 90s to even got a street sharks figure if anyone remembers them
    Should also have stuff like the full set of biker mice from mars figures and secret base and all of the ninja turtles etc I WILL NEVER THROW THEM AWAY EVEN IF SOME OF THEM ARE BROKEN

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep! I still have a stuffed animal from when I was a toddler, and I'm 25 currently. It's tucked away in my closet atm, but whenever I spot it, I'm thrown back quite a few years to simpler times. Even though it's a bit torn up and has some stitches, I still cherish it and refuse to get rid of 'em.

As you grow older, your heart grows callous, and these things don't impact you nearly as much if at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    One of my friends put a pin on my bookbag to be funny and I never took it off because I never cared. I found that pin this week and I think I am going to be keeping it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly my legos lol
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    Yes i dont like to throw anything when i was younger my mom had to convince me i was never going to use my old broken shoes BUT THEY WERE MINE DAMNIT.

I guess thats why i still have everything from Lego to the first power rangers Megazord toy still intact still have a few old Star Wars toys from the early 90s to even got a street sharks figure if anyone remembers them
    Should also have stuff like the full set of biker mice from mars figures and secret base and all of the ninja turtles etc I WILL NEVER THROW THEM AWAY EVEN IF SOME OF THEM ARE BROKEN

Yeah! Street Sharks! I had some of those. And Legos, Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, GI Joe... But I think they're all gone now except the legos; saved for my future offspring

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    *snip*
    Of course it has feelings And I wouldn't have thrown it out. Lamps don't actually break, at least not that easily. You can easily repaint them and buy a new bulb and it's actually better than new. Same with some furniture.

But throwing these things away feels a little like throwing away part of your past that you never get back. It's like throwing away an old photo. Of course if you feel bad for every random item laying around the house.. well, lets just say hoarding junk wouldnt make your place look pretty. But I think it's different with things you have a lot of memories with or gifts from loved ones. A pen you had when you were stranded on an uninhabited island for 5 years for example. This is a bit how throwing away that monitor felt for me plus it was a gift

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Mostly my legos lol
    Yes.. The legos...

I miss playing with those too. I loved to build the most weird stuff ever, haha, space ships, towers, etc, etc, etc, fun times.

10+ Year Old Account
    My old car was a Saturn 4door, dark purple. 12yrs I had that car, bought it brand new and drove the crap out of it for all this time.
    The clutch was starting to go, so I took it to the mechanic. $1200 to fix the clutch b/c part of it had to come from the machine shop.
    I was totally fine paying that, the car had another 4 yrs in it easily.

Fast forward to 5pm the day the car should be ready for pick up... Normally the mechanic would come pick me up in my car
    and then we'd go back to his shop so I could pay the bill and then I'd be on my way.
    5pm, no sign of Mike. 5:30, the phone rings...

"Hi, it's Mike. Listen, I have some bad news... I got in an accident with your car on the way to pick you up."

Basically he turned left and got T-boned. He admitted he misjudged the distance.
    The car was a complete write-off and he's lucky he got away with just a black eye from the air bag.
    I'm lucky I wasn't in the car b/c the passenger would've been dead the impact was so bad.

Granted, I got a brand new car out of it but I still miss the shit out of that car. 12yrs is alot of memories and
    even though it's just an inanimate object I miss it every day. My new car is a Kia, and compared to the saturn
    I feel like I'm driving a bmw what with the bluetooth, cd player, power everything and so on.

But I will always remember my first new car. RIP Saturn, I love ye!
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the same way. When I throw something out that has a bit of a history or was given to me by friends or family, I get a bit sad. Then I eventually forget about it.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    I'm not sure if I should be feeling this way or whats going on but..

Today I threw out my old monitor. It was some cheap 20" Asus, I got from my parents as a gift when I got accepted in the university but more importantly, it was the last remaining item from that time when I was so poor, had to count every cent and reuse and re-reuse everything imaginable and I spent so many years staring that monitor. I was planning on using it as a small wall TV or maybe mail/weather/etc monitor on top of my regular ones but it broke.

Anyway, Im not going to write a wall of text but when I was taking it in the trash, I felt like someone had died and the sad part part is, Im not even that nostalgic. /sigh
    s am still tripping over a monitor that i replaced a year ago. for some reason every time i go to throw it out i decide i can have it fixed, even though i can probably buy a newer, better one for less than it would cost to repair it, lol. in fact, i already replaced it long ago, but still have it. derp

Deleted
    Definitely, especially with smells or sounds.

Most recent one for me though was revisiting the new fulltilt poker after it being shut down for over a year. I used to spend at least 5 hours a day there, hearing the first buzz notifying me it was my turn brought back memories/feelings from way back =].