Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    That's fucking insane.

Like, seriously. Insane.

Jesus...why the hell are morons campaigning AGAINST changing this?
    Its big business so companies lobby heavily to keep it this way. People who would be better off with universal healthcare vote against it because they believe that people "earned" it or believe that businesses are looking out for them and would help them if it wasnt for the "government getting in their way." They obviously fail to recognize that businesses just see them as a way to make money and will do whatever the government allows them to do to exploit them.

The problem is a simple one ... greed.

The almighty dollar rules all. Profit must keep going up at all costs. Companies believe they must make the maximum amount they can, cutting and squeezing to wring out every last penny.

Bullshit.

This is America's problem. Yes, companies should try to make a profit. But if you can pay a decent wage and provide benefits for your employees and still make a profit, you should. How much money is enough??? Billionaires trying to make billions more and the hell with who it hurts. Companies making record profits cutting wages. This is ridiculous!

Until we stop worshiping money at all costs America will never get on track. Seems to me asking people who have millions of dollars to pay a bit more is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Thanks and not to get to personal i was on disability until they decided because i flipped the age of 18 i no longer needed my meds. i fought it for 3 years and lost it at the age of 21.

I was on it from 10 to 21 *when they finally took it away* because and i Quote "The rules are different"
    At least Obamacare finally made it illegal to deny kids nineteen and younger coverage because of preexisting conditions. Seriously, the insurance companies are just as big a crooks as big oil and banks.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    You really don't know do you... I am talking about the fact that you are, if you are an American of course, ignoring the reality around you. You pretend that CEO's did it themselves, or that capitalism drives us, but ignore everything else involved. You pretend to owe nothing to no one. Ignoring everything the people and government of this nation have done to make where you are in life now, possible. The vast amounts of money "we," the taxpayers, have (through our government) poured into education, healthcare, infrastructure, defense, and so much else. The legislation passed by our elected leadership to encourage things like student loans, or evening the playing field through anti-trust laws.

Do you think you would be where you are in life now if you lived in Russia? China? Egypt? You, like Papa John's CEO apparently, are taking for granted what so many have worked so hard for so long to make possible in the first place. Though you are hardly the only one who does it. Its still rather sad to see.
    It would appear that you believe in the 'You didn't build that on your own' mantra... so let me ask you this... Where do you think the capital used to start businesses comes from? it comes from those that earn it and are willing to take a risk to start said business... Where do you think the funding comes from for the roads, bridges, infrastructure comes from? Here is a hint.. it doesn't come from those that dont pay taxes... it comes from those that DO pay taxes. We have the things in this country because someone decided that the potential gain outweighed the potential risk... when you make the risk or expense too great, then folks stop trying to gain. Ponder that.

You cant get a job from a poor person, you cant cure poverty by stealing from the rich or taxing the fuck out of them and throwing it at the poor.... you cure poverty by encouraging education and personal responsibility.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

You cant get a job from a poor person
    Sam Walton seems to have done alright.
    you cure poverty by encouraging education and personal responsibility
    Education requires taxes. And how does one "encourage personal responsibility" on a macroeconomic level?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    You cant get a job from a poor person, you cant cure poverty by stealing from the rich or taxing the fuck out of them and throwing it at the poor.... you cure poverty by encouraging education and personal responsibility.
    and you cant rationally expect that the rich decide to create jobs just by virtue of having more money either. because reality hasn't borne that theory out. if you want to reward job creators, fine. im all for that. just make them create the jobs first, instead of giving them the benefit without the effort or deed

It would appear that you believe in the 'You didn't build that on your own' mantra... so let me ask you this... Where do you think the capital used to start businesses comes from? it comes from those that earn it and are willing to take a risk to start said business... Where do you think the funding comes from for the roads, bridges, infrastructure comes from? Here is a hint.. it doesn't come from those that dont pay taxes... it comes from those that DO pay taxes. We have the things in this country because someone decided that the potential gain outweighed the potential risk... when you make the risk or expense too great, then folks stop trying to gain. Ponder that.

The problem with this vague concept of "personal responsibility" is that society and imbalance exists and is intrinsic to the system. You can't have your cake and eat it; either you acknowledge the system needs people of various classes and should be treated with respect for doing these jobs, or you change this system, make everybody completely equal, then let personal responsibility be the guiding factor.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Sorry to break up your post but I wanted to give my reply some detail.

It would appear that you believe in the 'You didn't build that on your own' mantra...
    The "you didn't build that" thing? Partially, but only because there is a lot of truth to it. I mostly believe in community, brotherhood, giving a hand up instead of a handout or hand down.

so let me ask you this... Where do you think the capital used to start businesses comes from? it comes from those that earn it and are willing to take a risk to start said business...
    Do you mean just the owner-operator, the investor, or both? Is this where we bring up guys like the SBA? Or are you claiming the federal government has had nothing to do with that?

Where do you think the funding comes from for the roads, bridges, infrastructure comes from? Here is a hint.. it doesn't come from those that dont pay taxes... it comes from those that DO pay taxes.
    So are you trying to claim that only CEO's pay taxes? Lots of folks pay taxes. I pay taxes.

We have the things in this country because someone decided that the potential gain outweighed the potential risk... when you make the risk or expense too great, then folks stop trying to gain. Ponder that.
    Exactly and in many cases, like Hoover Damn and the Tennessee Valley Authority, it was "us," through the federal government, that decided the potential gain outweighed the risk. Do you need more examples? Eisenhower's Interstates. Need more? How about the flood insurance for some areas affected by Sandy that folks couldn't get through "private" insurers so had to get federally backed varieties. Pondering galore!

Absolutely, all the labor and discrimination laws sprang out of thin air with no actual cause requiring them. Just as the anti-trust laws, that helped make it possible for many of these CEO's to get "rich" occurred to the president while looking out at our perfect land and sipping tea. And he decided, "what the hell." I encourage responsibility and accountability.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-11 at 12:03 AM.

If you are unhappy. Iv'e heard someone say self-deportation was the option. Maybe CEO's should consider self-deportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairm View Post
    If you are unhappy. Iv'e heard someone say self-deportation was the option. Maybe CEO's should consider self-deportation.
    like (10 characters)

Infracted.
    Last edited by Majad; 2012-11-11 at 12:17 AM.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
    You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
    You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
    You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
    You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.
    And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

Obama needs to heed these words.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    If they had been accurate words then, yes, he should.

Papa Johns pizza is just gross IMO. So this is just another reason they don't get my business.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
    You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
    You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
    You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
    You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.
    And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

I think 4 years of hollow rhetoric is enough. Maybe the GOP should focus more on solutions and reason.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Well, my local Papa Johns has been declining in quality recently, so it won't bother me much to stop eating there. Plus, bigger incentive to eat at local restaurants.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

He doesn't need to incite class hatred when rich CEO's who make more money in a year than a lot of people do in their entire life, lay off entire factories worth of people as preemptive action and to further their political agenda.
    Last edited by Vathdar; 2012-11-11 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    He doesn't need to incite class hatred, when rich CEO's who make more money in a year than a lot of people do in their entire life, lay off entire factories worth of people as preemptive action and to further their political agenda.
    Remember, its only class warfare if a democrat does it.

When the GOP nominee calls 47% of the country shiftless its just telling the truth.

I thought as a smart business you constantly adapt to the changing environment. Energy should be no different from any other major business. What I got from the article is a company that have sat on a good product, but have failed to improve or include some alternatives in order to keep up with the market. They could have pioneered into alternative energy resources or invested in research that could have made coal energy more viable in a much more Green Energy focused World.

Now with lost opportunities they are just whining and making a scene to blame the Government for their failure.

They can do whatever they want with their company and claim it is for whatever reason they want. If it is such a big deal to everyone, don't buy the pizza until they change their ways. If they don''t change anytime soon, you can bet they are still making good money and the public doesn't care enough to stop buying their products.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Yes i did get help from family, who was already rich. my family has always been rich for as long as anyone can remember. It's not hard to be successful it's just 99% of people don't have the drive to do it.
    that's just plain stupidity, if 99% of the people we're rich, well then you wouldn't be.

the differnce between the 99% and the 1% is morality or more the lack of it.

you think it's just about the will too work ?

Let me tell you something I have combined school with work since I was 15 before it was even legal for me to get a job, despite that I wouldn't be able to pay full tuition for school if I didn't get help, because my mother is alone and I have 3 sibling and she just can't afford to pay school for me and my brother and sister even though she is was working 3 jobs for almost 20 years and 2 jobs the last 10 years because she Is just too old to keep 3 jobs.

It's easy to talk when your born in a family with lots of assest, if you aren't that lucky despite working way more then most of my friends I ll still have more trouble to get the same education as they are, because I have to split my attention between work and school.

school is a right and I don't see why people from lower class should be denied that right just because they weren't born in a wealth family.