Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ...
21
29
30
31
32
33
41
... LastLast
  1. #601
    Obama's secretary of business would order them not to lay people off. That sounds like what mmochampion's democrats would like to see.

  2. #602
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    11,425
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Obama's secretary of business would order them not to lay people off. That sounds like what mmochampion's democrats would like to see.
    Going to say something productive or are you going to keep us waiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You can actually make them pretty tasty if you add some of your own fresh ingredients to them.
    Plenty of Parmesan, oregano, tiny can of mushrooms, bits of cut up ham.. you can make a 4 dollar frozen pizza absolutely amazing with just about a dollar worth of extra stuff thrown in.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

  3. #603
    Elemental Lord Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Obama's secretary of business would order them not to lay people off. That sounds like what mmochampion's democrats would like to see.
    This mmohampion New Democrat would like papa johns (and the other companies that just happen to be having layoffs right after the election) to actually demonstrate that their layoffs are actually necessary to their businesses as they claim and not political games or retaliation against employees who they believe didn't vote as they demanded.

    But I rather suspect that would end up having the effect you describe.

  4. #604

  5. #605
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    This mmohampion New Democrat would like papa johns (and the other companies that just happen to be having layoffs right after the election) to actually demonstrate that their layoffs are actually necessary to their businesses as they claim and not political games or retaliation against employees who they believe didn't vote as they demanded.

    But I rather suspect that would end up having the effect you describe.
    That's actually a good idea if it could be implemented properly. Workers should not be punished because of their political stance, or because of a situation beyond their control. After all, how is it fair to a worker getting laid off because the CEO is butthurt that the "wrong guy" was elected president?

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  6. #606
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    As a non-1% member of their target demographic, however, I disagree. In that regard, I can absolutely say I know more than them. $.15 would affect my or anyone's choice whether to buy a Papa Johns pizza.
    I'm not sure you made a typo or not, but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that $.15 raise in prices will decrease demand by some x% compared to if they kept prices unchanged.

    Papa John's is also a public company, there's no way they could've grown to where they are if their management was that incompetent. They're not governing by gut feeling.
    Last edited by Diurdi; 2012-11-15 at 05:21 AM.

  7. #607
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I'm not sure you made a typo or not, but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that $.15 raise in prices will decrease demand by some x% compared to if they kept prices unchanged.
    Doubtful. Would anyone even notice it? I don't keep track of the cost of pizza. I don't even know how much it costs at the joints in town, not down to the cent. I most certainly wouldn't notice a hike in pay by a mere 15 cents.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  8. #608
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Doubtful. Would anyone even notice it? I don't keep track of the cost of pizza. I don't even know how much it costs at the joints in town, not down to the cent. I most certainly wouldn't notice a hike in pay by a mere 15 cents.
    Maybe you won't, but a small % of the customers will. We're talking 0.5%-1.5%. You can't approach this from your own personal perspective and ask yourself "would I notice?". The lower demand is just a fact, that's how marketing works.

  9. #609
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I'm not sure you made a typo or not, but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that $.15 raise in prices will decrease demand by some x% compared to if they kept prices unchanged.

    Papa John's is also a public company, there's no way they could've grown to where they are if their management was that incompetent. They're not governing by gut feeling.
    I can't guarantee 100% of their customers won't care because I'm not 100% of their customers.

    I can tell you that the type of person who would notice a 1% increase is the type of person who won't let $.15 enter into their decision making. Someone financially savvy enough to care about a 1% price hike is generally wealthy enough to not care about $.15. Someone who WOULD care about $.15 is, ironically, not going to notice when the price of a pizza rises by that much.

    And I didn't say their management was incompetent. I said they may be uneducated. There's a big difference. Just because someone can build a pizza empire doesn't mean they know economics.

  10. #610
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Maybe you won't, but a small % of the customers will. We're talking 0.5%-1.5%. You can't approach this from your own personal perspective and ask yourself "would I notice?". The lower demand is just a fact, that's how marketing works.
    Still seems to me like it'd be insignificant.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  11. #611
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Still seems to me like it'd be insignificant.
    It is for the most part.

    But why would you want to head in the wrong direction?

    Not what the economy needs right now.

  12. #612
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I can't guarantee 100% of their customers won't care because I'm not 100% of their customers.

    I can tell you that the type of person who would notice a 1% increase is the type of person who won't let $.15 enter into their decision making. Someone financially savvy enough to care about a 1% price hike is generally wealthy enough to not care about $.15. Someone who WOULD care about $.15 is, ironically, not going to notice when the price of a pizza rises by that much.
    You have to understand that the prices change for other reasons as well over time (inflation etc). And if they could just keep raising prices (above inflation pace) by $0.15 without a drop in demand, they should be doing so all the time.

    But companies can't make these changes without consequences.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orissa
    Still seems to me like it'd be insignificant.
    If the % drop in demand is higher than the % chance in prices, the company will lose money. Which means, they shouldn't have raised the prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laize
    And I didn't say their management was incompetent. I said they may be uneducated. There's a big difference. Just because someone can build a pizza empire doesn't mean they know economics.
    They pretty much have to have educated folks on the team to do it. Billion dollar market cap companies use derivatives and other financial instruments in their day to day operations, you must understand basic economics to be able to use them. Even if the CEO doesn't, folks he has hired will.
    Last edited by Diurdi; 2012-11-15 at 05:47 AM.

  13. #613
    I'm going to fully support Papa Johns an other companies who cut back because of Obamacare. Just like Chick Fil A the supposed people who are going to strike against these companies either won't or will only do it for a short time before they go right back to buying from them. I don't think people realize how many companies are doing the same thing Papa Johns is. I also don't thing people realize how many hidden taxes are coming related to Obamacare for the average person either. Last I checked there were at least 7 hidden taxes for the average american. People really need to do their research and not rely on liberal media to tell them what they should think and feel.

  14. #614
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheatz View Post
    I'm going to fully support Papa Johns an other companies who cut back because of Obamacare. Just like Chick Fil A the supposed people who are going to strike against these companies either won't or will only do it for a short time before they go right back to buying from them. I don't think people realize how many companies are doing the same thing Papa Johns is. I also don't thing people realize how many hidden taxes are coming related to Obamacare for the average person either. Last I checked there were at least 7 hidden taxes for the average american. People really need to do their research and not rely on liberal media to tell them what they should think and feel.
    The rhetoric is strong in this one, but there are no facts to back the rhetoric up. Why is that?

  15. #615
    Way to use human beings as a means to defend your extra tax-dollars there Pizza-guy!

    That's the problem with America today... they're more concerned about their own individual profits instead of basic human lives.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  16. #616
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Yeah, if anybody making claims would like to show some actual proof, that would be great.

  17. #617
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Way to use human beings as a means to defend your extra tax-dollars there Pizza-guy!

    That's the problem with America today... they're more concerned about their own individual profits instead of basic human lives.
    Because the role of business is to take care of humans?

  18. #618
    Semi-related aside.

    There's a proposed Constitutional Amendment to overturn Citizens' United sponsored by Senator Al Franken.

    Might wanna sign this petition if you care.

    http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/s...f/CKFCUNASLMO1

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 06:11 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Way to use human beings as a means to defend your extra tax-dollars there Pizza-guy!

    That's the problem with America today... they're more concerned about their own individual profits instead of basic human lives.
    That's the entire basis of a free market economy. Through everyone acting in their own self-interest, we almost always wind up with the best outcome for all.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-11-15 at 06:24 AM.

  19. #619
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Semi-related aside.

    There's a proposed amendment to overturn Citizens' United sponsored by Senator Al Franken.

    Might wanna sign this petition if you care.

    http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/s...f/CKFCUNASLMO1
    Think that was the quickest I've ever signed a petition.

  20. #620
    Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    Because the role of business is to take care of humans?
    When the conservative refrain is "get a job, you bum!" while constantly touting big business as "job creators," it's not unreasonable to expect that people actually be able to live on said jobs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •