Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Wait what? I know Olive Garden used to be pretty darn good but every single one I've eaten at in the last 10 years has tasted like cafeteria/freezer section pasta.
    Those are badly run, then. The closest one to my house is absolutely fantastic. Great service, great food. I know some people who work there, and they love it. The one across the river in the city I'm next to? Horrible. You couldn't pay me to go there.
    Tiriel <Demise> of US-Kel'Thuzad

Thank you to Yoni for this AMAZING signature!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Those are badly run, then. The closest one to my house is absolutely fantastic. Great service, great food. I know some people who work there, and they love it. The one across the river in the city I'm next to? Horrible. You couldn't pay me to go there.
    This is probably getting off topic, but I've probably also been spoiled by a new chain that sprouted up called Mirko's. They're simply amazing. Homemade pasta from scratch using organic all natural ingredients, and to top it off they're cheaper than most chain italian restaurants. But yeah, as you said some Olive Garden chains are awful.
    Climate Change denialism in a nutshell.
    Ezekiel 23:20, Ezekiel 16:49-50, Mark 10:25, James 5:1-6, Luke 16:19-31, Matthew 19:21, Numbers 5:11-31

Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    When you increase taxes and regulation and expenses, prices will go up and payrolls will go down. That is reality. If you don't like it, don't vote those who are for increased taxes and regulation and expenses.
    The new reality is that low-income, low-skilled workers will be trapped. They will no longer be able to find 40 hour/week jobs. It will cost too much to keep them. For the past month I have been reorganizing our workforce. Our employees will be finding out next month that we will no longer have full-time employees as of Jan 1, 2013. Everyone will be on 7 hour shifts, 4 days a week. We will have to do this to survive as a contract company.

Elections have consequences, this is just the start of them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
    The new reality is that low-income, low-skilled workers will be trapped. They will no longer be able to find 40 hour/week jobs. It will cost too much to keep them. For the past month I have been reorganizing our workforce. Our employees will be finding out next month that we will no longer have full-time employees as of Jan 1, 2013. Everyone will be on 7 hour shifts, 4 days a week. We will have to do this to survive as a contract company.

Yeah like when all your competent employees leave for a company that doesn't treat them like complete shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

I was wondering what would replace all the Romney/Ryan avatars. I suppose I should have expected some "fuck America" avatars!

The new reality is that low-income, low-skilled workers will be trapped. They will no longer be able to find 40 hour/week jobs.
    Low skilled/low income workers can't get 40 hour a week jobs anyway. Poppa John is fuming because what fast food establishments like his would higher ALL part time employees and not have to provide benefits. Now he will have to provide benefits for ALL his employees. So the poor people will have health care.

But who is it that is really forcing your hand? You? Or the Government? Oh I know you're going to say "the government", that's what you always say. But at the end of the day, who made that choice? Who decided that because a democratic society elected the person you don't like, that you have to cut back hours? Was that your business? Or was that the government?

Eventually the poor and low-skilled workers will realize that they don't have to be trapped if they don't want to. And at that point the whole system of shitting all over the bottom in order to support the top will come falling down. Because without those low-skilled, low-income workers, you HAVE NOTHING, and they have realized this before, and will realize it again, and there are ALWAYS more of them there are you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Eventually the poor and low-skilled workers will realize that they don't have to be trapped if they don't want to. And at that point the whole system of shitting all over the bottom in order to support the top will come falling down. Because without those low-skilled, low-income workers, you HAVE NOTHING, and they have realized this before, and will realize it again, and there are ALWAYS more of them there are you.
    And they will do absolutely nothing about it, because they can't quit.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Hmmmm...tough choice for CEO's. Buy a Jaguar...pay for employee health benefits.
    put gun to ceo's head and demand health benefits get paid or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I was wondering what would replace all the Romney/Ryan avatars. I suppose I should have expected some "fuck America" avatars!
    Yeah. Also interesting that they are, essentially, in favor of competing with China in terms of who has the worst worker conditions in order to get jobs back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yeah. Also interesting that they are, essentially, in favor of competing with China in terms of who has the worst worker conditions in order to get jobs back here.
    Race to the bottom, woooo!

It's the only way we're going to get them back. Companies will always outsource labor if the reduction in labor costs are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    And they will do absolutely nothing about it, because they can't quit.
    Yes, they can. The idea that they will do nothing because they have to have a job is a myth. Yes you generally need a job in the world to survive, but at some point people will decide that the costs of "just surviving" in society are too high. They can and will quit, and when they do, it will be en-masse, and the whole system will fall to pieces.

The idea that they "can't quit" is what companies who abuse the little guy count on, the mentality that they just have to suck eggs because they need that job so badly. It's happened elsewhere and it can and will happen here if the few continue to abuse the many.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.

It's the only way we're going to get them back. Companies will always outsource labor if the reduction in labor costs are worth it.
    but i thought the only way to bring jobs back to america was to eliminate corporate taxes.

Or we could ya know, educate our people for little to no cost to them so that we have smart, skilled, intelligent people who don't have to compete with foreign factory jobs for a living.

What really is going to suck now is that college grads won't have that full time job at McDonald's to lookk forward to anymore,part time will have to suffice.

/sarcasm
    Last edited by Zigzagzoom; 2012-11-17 at 03:28 AM.

*sigh* Wow. So, I guess corporate profits really are everything to some people.

On your deathbed, are you going to say 'WOOHOOO, I made an extra 5% for my shareholders!' I just don't get it.

Every single company makes profits from the blood, sweat, and tears of the people who work there. When something like extra healthcare cost enters the system, there are choices to be made.

A lot of these CEOs are making the choice of 'screw the people' by pitching a temper tantrum and making sure that a law that is attempting to help the average person instead grinds them into the ground.

Every company is in the same place. Perhaps if these people quit acting like two year olds and considered a more balanced approach everyone would end up better off. There's seldom one answer to a problem. Companies like these whose only answer is to try to take away what little the employees are entitled to will, with luck, end up on the wayside as more creative and thoughtful companies work toward innovative ideas that help both the company and the employee.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    HOLY SHIT DID YOU REALLY IGNORE MY ENTIRE POST POINTING OUT HOW MIN WAGE HAS KEPT UP WITH INFLATION? BOTH OF THEM?!

Minimum wage started in 1938. Why don't you take a look at what a chart that actually extends that far back looks like.
    It kept pace up until about Jan of 1981 ( when Reagan become president) after that it went down the crapper so to speak and obviously you failed to see that it in 2007 was falling over 40% below in just keeping up with inflation.

""The federal minimum wage has never included a feature by which it automatically increases each year to ensure that it maintains its purchasing power. As a result, Congress has to act to provide such adjustments.

These adjustments have not always occurred in a timely fashion. Nonetheless, from 1938 to 1981, they did occur with enough regularity that the minimum wage generally either rose in purchasing power or remained relatively stable in real value.""

Last being commentary from CBPP but it displays that up until 1981 min wage was mostly keeping pace with inflation after that it stopped.

I pointed out that it kept mostly pace with inflation dont know where you get the idea that i didnt. But unlike you i can see it hasnt kept pace in the last 30 years and as a result it is too low. So explain why it is a good idea that it had fallen behind inflation by over 40% in 2007 ( the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007 solved a little bit about this problem but not all of it)

a lot of these companies are GREEDY, papa johns made 300 mil in their last quarter and complain about paying 5 mil for obamacare.

today it was the unions fault that hostess went out of business, not Obamacare.. they filed bankruptcy 3x.. if the workers would have just used their heads and said "hey our company isn't doing so good maybe we should help out and take this 10% cut to keep our jobs" instead they didn't and lost their jobs for good.

down here in so cal the local joints are competing with the corporations now, they went to the $5 pizza and man are they delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Or we could ya know, educate our people for little to no cost to them so that we have smart, skilled, intelligent people who don't have to compete with foreign factory jobs for a living.
    Well, yeah. I'm talking about people who want us to get those outsourced jobs back. They're never coming back unless we start playing like China, and we shouldn't. I don't disagree with you.