Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Because in general what is good for society is good for you.
    But it was a result of greed, people want more

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Well first it's not free. Second you might interpret the "life, liberty, property" as a government mandate to provide nationwide healthcare and housing. Though personally I don't have much of an argument for those things other than the fact that they are basic essentials that humans need.
    Where did you pull "life, liberty and property" from? And in general what this means is that you're entitled to keep your life, liberty and property - i.e. not have others take it from you.

It doesn't mean that you're entitled to healthcare, to others' freedom or to others' property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    And who says they're fundamental human rights? Society? Well certainly not the US society.
    Well considering the US did in fact ratify the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Article 25

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control. (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    my life offered me my daughter, so i beg to differ. if this has zero meaning for you then i truly pity you
    Children are nothing more than a business asset you have to manage

Where did you pull "life, liberty and property" from?
    Fun historical fact, that's almost what "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness" was.

Quote Originally Posted by One-Eyed Jack View Post
    Man you must drive the ladies crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Well considering the US did in fact ratify the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Article 25

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control. (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
    I still can't believe people try and deny this argument.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Where did you pull "life, liberty and property" from?
    That's from John Locke - the precursor to Jefferson's "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".

10+ Year Old Account
    But why does society owe him free healthcare, housing, yada yada yada?
    Because its a society? You know that whole "community," watching out for each other, thing. Nor does it have to be "free." However pretending he owes "nothing" in return for everything that community, or nation in this case, has done for him? Whether he is a student or a CEO, its deluded, selfish, childish... Well, the most relevant word would vary depending on "why" he's pretending, of course.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I still can't believe people try and deny this argument.
    Thank you Mrs. Roosevelt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    papa johns>pizza hut>dominos. New dominos taste of fecal matter and children's tears

Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    papa johns>pizza hut>dominos. New dominos taste of fecal matter and children's tears
    Fun fact, one of those two things are actually in their pizza.

dear god, please dont breed. your mindset is imo not fit for parenting. seriously. viewed that way, a child would never be an asset, but a liability until they are contributing to your coffers.

naive though i may be, i see money as a means to an end, not the end itself

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun fact, one of those two things are actually in their pizza.
    Oh christ I don't even want to guess
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man you must drive the ladies crazy.
    Just think how the folks like me feel after we've spent years putting our lives on the line... Protecting his choice to be that, "uninformed."
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Society, and the individuals of soviets are motivated by greed. If people traded, and got nothing out of it whats the point of trading. I'm only out for myself when I trade because I want to live a better lifestyle than I do now. I don't care about how everyone else lives, I'm only out for myself to obtain what I want to sugarcoat the absurdity of life. Why would I want to trade extra to tend to other people's luxury a before putting my own needs first?
    I'm motivated by love, music, and good pizza.

The selfishness contained in your post is, in my opinion, everything that's wrong with this world.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Where did you pull "life, liberty and property" from? And in general what this means is that you're entitled to keep your life, liberty and property - i.e. not have others take it from you.

It doesn't mean that you're entitled to healthcare, to others' freedom or to others' property.
    Well if you don't have the laws on your side, anyone can take it from you. It's why we have laws against murder. The life/liberty/property is a quote from John Lock.

From Wiki:
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is a well-known phrase in the United States Declaration of Independence. The United States Declaration of Independence, which was primarily drafted by Thomas Jefferson, was adopted by the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776[2] The text of the second section of the Declaration of Independence reads,

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'm motivated by love, music, and good pizza.

The selfishness contained in your post is, in my opinion, everything that's wrong with this world.

Say what you want, deep down people are selfish

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Article 25

The UDHR isn't a binding document. It's a wishy-washy document that is irrelevant in today's world. The US didn't ratify the actually significant part: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ultural_Rights

Say what you want, deep down people are selfish
    And deep down people are also altruism. We're a weird bunch.