Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pardon my language, but some people never get over being vindictive little cunts.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    if someone can go from being homeless and living in the woods in the park to owning their own successful business less than 5 years later. then yes, ANYone, that wants to be successful CAN be... It's a matter of how much effort you truly want to put into it.
    If that's the case here, then fuck him even harder for deciding to turn around and hamstring everybody else whose position he'd once shared. Somebody who's "been there" should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhas View Post
    John Schnatter is worth 600 million dollars. ~4000 businesses with a base average of 6 employees (only 4 at the location where I'm at) so 24,000 employees and he can't cover .14 cents? That's only 3360.00 a month, he probably pays that in an electric bill for that big ass house of his. Don't pity the 1% for the taxes that are coming for them.
    Franchises don't work that way.

Corporate isn't responsible for franchise employees.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Forbes did a great article going through the math of John Schnatter's claims. They found that the price increase per pizza is actually 3.4 to 4.6 cents per pizza.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/calebmel...bamacare-math/

So not only does this guy make shitty pizza, but he sucks at math.

My favorite part of the article:

I'm curious as to why we trust Forbes to estimate business costs over the CEO of the actual company.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The rich don't get or stay rich by spending money. They get / stay that way by hoarding it. Giving rich individuals more money effectively removes it from the economy.
    That's an incredibly ignorant stance.

Unless you take money and stuff it under a mattress, it isn't removed from the economy.

If you're going to save money, you have 2 realistic options. Bank accounts and investments.

When you open a bank account, the bank will re-lend your money out, so it's not out of the economy.

When you invest that money, you're giving it to someone else in exchange for something. Their intention is probably to spend that money, so it's not taken out of the economy.

Id think the ceo knows more about his own company than the people here. He tells you what is going to happen and why yet people still dont believe it... Then it happens and they are suddenly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Id think the ceo knows more about his own company than the people here. He tells you what is going to happen and why yet people still dont believe it... Then it happens and they are suddenly surprised.
    The only surprise is that he mixed politics and business together, and developed a problem where one really didn't exist. Hardly a sound choice, and one that is already showing as backfiring for him.
    “A fool is not a person who does not know something. Rather, a fool is a person who is given information but who chooses to ignore what he is given based on how he wants things to be, rather than how things are."

General Off-Topic Forum Moderator
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The only surprise is that he mixed politics and business together, and developed a problem where one really didn't exist. Hardly a sound choice, and one that is already showing as backfiring for him.
    He didn't create a problem at all. He was just stating the obvious.

It's people on the left who are creating a big stink over nothing.

Every business owner in the US is going to face this problem.

What problem? No one would even have noticed the extra 11 cents per pizza....

Oh no, instead of $8 my pizza is $8.11! The Horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    He didn't create a problem at all. He was just stating the obvious.

It's people on the left who are creating a big stink over nothing.

Every business owner in the US is going to face this problem.
    A rational business decision would be to go along with the situation, adapting to the new economic atmosphere and by doing so attempt to find ways to outdo their competition. In fact, eliminating employees to maintain a slightly lower price of pizzas could very easily be a sound business decision. The aspect where he mixed business and politics and thus created a problem, was when he made public announcements that he would pass the cost of health care directly to the workers and thus eliminate a number of them. Making a public spectacle of the incident rather than quietly passing on the costs has probably harmed the company more than the costs themselves.
    “A fool is not a person who does not know something. Rather, a fool is a person who is given information but who chooses to ignore what he is given based on how he wants things to be, rather than how things are."

Murray Energy was cited and fined for numerous mine safety violations over the last few years - THAT is why their business is going to shit. It has to do with general incompetence and has NOTHING to do with who's president.

And Papa John's... what can I say. What these CEOs are saying is, "I'm unwilling to provide fundamental benefits necessary to maintain a secure livelihood to my employees." That's cool. Your pizza sucks anyhow. If corporations are gonna blame Obama for mandating that they have to treat their employees better rather than sucking it up like a big boy and trying to make this country better by relaxing their exploitative chokehold on the lower and lower-middle class, I think they'll find a pretty unsympathetic public.

What they're trying to do isn't too unfamiliar though - they're doubling down on the great Republican lie that only the rich create jobs. They don't. Innovation comes more often from startups and entrepenuers with balls, not the vampires that snatch them up and then axe half their native workforce.

Well, honestly, Schnatter knows full well nothing in Obamacare will change for him.

He's beholden to shareholders, however, and they demand profits.

You're not allowed to willfully cut profits. It's just not something that companies do. Even truly great companies like Google don't do it without the intention of making more money based on that investment.

When a company like Papa John's only makes $55 million a year, a $5-$8 million increase in expenditures is pretty big.

It seems to me that he's not looking out to save his own hide (The man is already worth $600 million). Rather, he's worried that a 15 cent increase in the cost of pizza will deter customers. I think this is entirely unfounded. He doesn't.

Papa John's takes 8% off the top. So in an $11 pizza, $.88 goes to Papa Johns.

Soooooo.... to account for an $8 million increase in expenses, you're looking at about a 0.7% increase in revenue. That seems, to me, to amount to a $.08 increase in pizza costs.

I'm not sure how Forbes determined they'd only need to increase pizza costs by 3 or 4 cents, though.

I'm also not sure how Schnatter came up with the 14 cent increase.

You realize business's are going to be paying more in taxes? Its hard not to mix them together when its the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Rather, he's worried that a 15 cent increase in the cost of pizza will deter customers. I think this is entirely unfounded. He doesn't.
    im with you laize. hell, make it a full quarter, if that makes a difference on whether you buy a pizza or not then you probably have issues, lol

You realize business's are going to be paying more in taxes? Its hard not to mix them together when its the cause.
    If a business cannot adapt to new economic conditions (And guess what, at some point along the line taxes are going to need to be overall increased no matter what, if the US wants to get out of its deficit hole), than it will fall out. Its a natural part of owning a business in a dynamic world. Adaptability = survival. How do you think Microsoft got to where it is?

If a business cannot adapt to new economic conditions
    Isnt that what he is doing? He explained why pizza's are going to cost more and people dont like it because it goes against their agenda.

If a business cannot adapt to new economic conditions (And guess what, at some point along the line taxes are going to need to be overall increased no matter what, if the US wants to get out of its deficit hole), than it will fall out. Its a natural part of owning a business in a dynamic world. Adaptability = survival. How do you think Microsoft got to where it is?
    He is adapting.

You just disagree with how he is doing it.

Isnt that what he is doing? He explained why pizza's are going to cost more and people dont like it because it goes against their agenda.
    I bet you most people don't give a rats ass if the pizza costs 10-15 cents more...

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I bet you most people don't give a rats ass if the pizza costs 10-15 cents more...
    Doesn't matter, demand will certainly be lower due to a 10 cent higher price. The question is: How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    id be shocked if it affected ANYBODY'S decision on whether or not to get a pizza

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    id be shocked if it affected ANYBODY'S decision on whether or not to get a pizza
    It does.

Taken from individuals and a small sample size, it wouldn't show it.

But across over all America in the span of a year or so, there will be a measurable lowered demand.

1. Papa "john" is a d-bag by himself. You should read up on him if you havent.
    2. Papa Johns is the only pizza sold at NFL games now. He is making boatloads of money.

Boycott that pos