Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I can't guarantee 100% of their customers won't care because I'm not 100% of their customers.

I can tell you that the type of person who would notice a 1% increase is the type of person who won't let $.15 enter into their decision making. Someone financially savvy enough to care about a 1% price hike is generally wealthy enough to not care about $.15. Someone who WOULD care about $.15 is, ironically, not going to notice when the price of a pizza rises by that much.
    You have to understand that the prices change for other reasons as well over time (inflation etc). And if they could just keep raising prices (above inflation pace) by $0.15 without a drop in demand, they should be doing so all the time.

But companies can't make these changes without consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Orissa
    Still seems to me like it'd be insignificant.
    If the % drop in demand is higher than the % chance in prices, the company will lose money. Which means, they shouldn't have raised the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize
    And I didn't say their management was incompetent. I said they may be uneducated. There's a big difference. Just because someone can build a pizza empire doesn't mean they know economics.
    They pretty much have to have educated folks on the team to do it. Billion dollar market cap companies use derivatives and other financial instruments in their day to day operations, you must understand basic economics to be able to use them. Even if the CEO doesn't, folks he has hired will.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-11-15 at 05:47 AM.

I'm going to fully support Papa Johns an other companies who cut back because of Obamacare. Just like Chick Fil A the supposed people who are going to strike against these companies either won't or will only do it for a short time before they go right back to buying from them. I don't think people realize how many companies are doing the same thing Papa Johns is. I also don't thing people realize how many hidden taxes are coming related to Obamacare for the average person either. Last I checked there were at least 7 hidden taxes for the average american. People really need to do their research and not rely on liberal media to tell them what they should think and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheatz View Post
    I'm going to fully support Papa Johns an other companies who cut back because of Obamacare. Just like Chick Fil A the supposed people who are going to strike against these companies either won't or will only do it for a short time before they go right back to buying from them. I don't think people realize how many companies are doing the same thing Papa Johns is. I also don't thing people realize how many hidden taxes are coming related to Obamacare for the average person either. Last I checked there were at least 7 hidden taxes for the average american. People really need to do their research and not rely on liberal media to tell them what they should think and feel.
    The rhetoric is strong in this one, but there are no facts to back the rhetoric up. Why is that?

Way to use human beings as a means to defend your extra tax-dollars there Pizza-guy!

That's the problem with America today... they're more concerned about their own individual profits instead of basic human lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if anybody making claims would like to show some actual proof, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Way to use human beings as a means to defend your extra tax-dollars there Pizza-guy!

That's the problem with America today... they're more concerned about their own individual profits instead of basic human lives.
    Because the role of business is to take care of humans?

Semi-related aside.

There's a proposed Constitutional Amendment to overturn Citizens' United sponsored by Senator Al Franken.

Might wanna sign this petition if you care.

http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/s...f/CKFCUNASLMO1

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 06:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

That's the entire basis of a free market economy. Through everyone acting in their own self-interest, we almost always wind up with the best outcome for all.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-11-15 at 06:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Semi-related aside.

There's a proposed amendment to overturn Citizens' United sponsored by Senator Al Franken.

Might wanna sign this petition if you care.

http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/s...f/CKFCUNASLMO1
    Think that was the quickest I've ever signed a petition.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    Because the role of business is to take care of humans?
    When the conservative refrain is "get a job, you bum!" while constantly touting big business as "job creators," it's not unreasonable to expect that people actually be able to live on said jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I'm not sure you made a typo or not, but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that $.15 raise in prices will decrease demand by some x% compared to if they kept prices unchanged.
    At the same time, if they chose to raise their prices 15 cents in order to cover the increased insurance costs and better support their employees, I would probably decide that I wanted to support their company rather than just calling up the pizza place closest to my house, or the pizza place with the best discount going on that night. I suspect there are other potential customers who wouldn't mind supporting a company that supports its employees.

I don't actually love Papa John's pizzas. There's a relatively local (regional?) chain that I think tastes better, though I also order from the other big chains sometimes. Unfortunately Papa's is never one of my household's choices.

They made a choice, and they'll stick to it. I'll stick to mine, made long before they started getting worried about the new laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    At the same time, if they chose to raise their prices 15 cents in order to cover the increased insurance costs and better support their employees, I would probably decide that I wanted to support their company rather than just calling up the pizza place closest to my house, or the pizza place with the best discount going on that night. I suspect there are other potential customers who wouldn't mind supporting a company that supports its employees.

I don't actually love Papa John's pizzas. There's a relatively local (regional?) chain that I think tastes better, though I also order from the other big chains sometimes. Unfortunately Papa's is never one of my household's choices.

They made a choice, and they'll stick to it. I'll stick to mine, made long before they started getting worried about the new laws.
    What's sad is that this whole thing could have been turned TOTALLY in PJ's favor if instead of:
    "Well f__ you Obama we're gonna jack up prices 'cause we hate you!"
    he said:
    "In order to better care for the health needs of our employees, we will implement a small increase on the price of pizza, roughly 0.15c."

That's really why people are upset about this. .15c means NOTHING when a pizza costs some $10+delivery/extras. It's all about the way businesses are going about it. They could easily keep their profit margins with a minor increase on pizza costs and fully support the healthcare requirements of the government. In fact they'd probably get MORE business, even at a higher price, because they presented it as "okay, we're willing to take care of our employees, but it's going to cost a little more."

Instead because they presented it as "Screw you we're going to charge more and cut employees and hours!" they're going to lose business.

Really people WILL pay MORE for goods and services they want, enjoy and most importantly, respect.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    The rhetoric is strong in this one, but there are no facts to back the rhetoric up. Why is that?
    That's what google is for. Look up the Chick Fil A strike over homosexual rights.

Then look up hidden taxes on Obamacare...really it's not that hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a really good point, Smrund. Totally could have twisted this in their favor. Instead of a feel-good campaign they're spitting poison.

That's what google is for. Look up the Chick Fil A strike over homosexual rights.

Then look up hidden taxes on Obamacare...really it's not that hard.
    No. You provide your sources to try to back up your arguments, or everything you say can be dismissed. That is how this whole debate thing works.

No. You provide your sources to try to back up your arguments, or everything you say can be dismissed. That is how this whole debate thing works.
    Or what? People on the internet won't believe me that are already convinced (without any hope of their minds being changed) of the opposite of what I say...yeah no thanks. I have better things to do because even if I look it up for you, you will find some fault in it one way or the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    That is a really good point, Smrund. Totally could have twisted this in their favor. Instead of a feel-good campaign they're spitting poison.
    Exactly. A little bit of propaganda goes a long way, and people react much better to positive, feel-good campaigns, even if it costs them more in the end, then they do to negative mud slinging.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

So you have time to make arguments on the internet even though you think they won't matter. You just won't back them up. What a convenient effort threshold.

Or what? People on the internet won't believe me that are already convinced (without any hope of their minds being changed) of the opposite of what I say...yeah no thanks. I have better things to do because even if I look it up for you, you will find some fault in it one way or the other.
    So you know your sources are crap and that your argument is riddled with holes, and you somehow want me to research for you, then shoot holes in whatever I come up with, so you can say 'that isn't what I mean' and not have an actual discussion but you just keep on trollin' trollin' trollin'?

Please, tell me what these hidden taxes are in Obamacare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please, tell me what these hidden taxes are in Obamacare.
    Oh don't be hard on him, you know he's got secret Pentagon documents that totally prove it, but he just can't show you.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So you have time to make arguments on the internet even though you think they won't matter. You just won't back them up. What a convenient effort threshold.
    I've had several people pm me already. I feel sorry for a lot of them because they are afraid to post on such a liberal board. They know it won't do any good.