Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Apologies, I should have emphasized the "critical" part. While present, its seems to be an aspect of education drastically underplayed. I personally find it quite distressing that, given a country where the government and policy makers are actually remarkably transparent, people are not far more active in their civic duties. I'm not even American, and I've talked to state legislators on certain topics regarding things such as prescribing rights and modern medical technology.
    The perceived corruption in American politics is pretty high. That's actually one of the reasons our iHDI is considered lower than Europe.

Actual corruption in American politics is quite low.

If the rest of the country does, indeed, have a shitty civics curriculum it could explain the perceived corruption as well as a 90%+ incumbency rate in Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Oh did he? Oh well. Yes, Obama has run on increasing taxes for the upper class. I'm not sure the 'hidden' taxes listed in his source were super hidden, since a lot of them are related to what Obama says he wants to do with the tax code instead of the ACA.
    One of the reasons listed is your employer passing the cost of higher taxes on higher end insurance. That's not a problem with Obamacare, but Nixoncare we already have. Your employer already passes down the cost of insurance onto you. The only thing Obama carries blame for there, is being too conservative and not striking at the root of the broblem. If he didn't puss out, Obamacare would be universal healthcare and the Cato institute wouldn't be able to attribute this idiocy of Nixoncare on Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    One of the reasons listed is your employer passing the cost of higher taxes on higher end insurance. That's not a problem with Obamacare, but Nixoncare we already have. Your employer already passes down the cost of insurance onto you. The only thing Obama carries blame for there, is being too conservative and not striking at the root of the broblem. If he didn't puss out, Obamacare would be universal healthcare and the Cato institute wouldn't be able to attribute this idiocy of Nixoncare on Obama.
    I agree. After the GOP still refused to vote for it after their bullshit tampering, the Dems should have written a Single Payer Only system and pushed it through in the month and a half they had a supermajority.

I had half a year of American History(AP) and half a year of European History(AP). Odd that American History covered how the US government was formed and works better than the civics class did.
    I am a political science major. To put in perspective how little American Civics, or even American history teaches you about our politics is simple: How many books did it take?

I can tell you that I have not even come close to learning all there is to know about the American political system, though I am well-versed in it, much less foreign political systems, and I took a dozen classes on the subject, each with half a dozen books and hundreds of articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Damn... I guess the NJ department of education is a bit more robust than the rest of the country.
    I don't give California any credit it isn't due. Which simply put, isn't any.

US civics classes are like turning on the faucet to teach children about hydrodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    You do realize that the system we're getting is analogous to Switzerland right? I'm not sure what problem, exactly, liberals have with it.

You got your universal health care, don't be greedy. You're starting to sound like the GOP the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I am a political science major. To put in perspective how little American Civics, or even American history teaches you about our politics is simple: How many books did it take?

I can tell you that I have not even come close to learning all there is to know about the American political system, though I am well-versed in it, much less foreign political systems, and I took a dozen classes on the subject, each with half a dozen books and hundreds of articles.

I don't give California any credit it isn't due. Which simply put, isn't any.
    I never said it gave me a ton of insight into our politics, I'm saying it was odd that American History get deeper into US politicans and the US government than the Civics class you take the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

I can tell you that I have not even come close to learning all there is to know about the American political system, though I am well-versed in it, much less foreign political systems, and I took a dozen classes on the subject, each with half a dozen books and hundreds of articles..
    A near-universal truth is that the more you know about a subject, the more you realize you don't know.

Ask a physicist how much he knows about the Universe, or ask a biologist how much they know about how the body works.

I'd say if you're willing to admit you don't know very much about a subject you've studied for years you know way more than anyone in this thread.

I never said it gave me a ton of insight into our politics, I'm saying it was odd that American History get deeper into US politicans and the US government than the Civics class you take the year before.
    Well it makes sense. History more or less, tells it as it was. Civics tells it like people want you to think it should be.

Everyone's talking about Papa John's but i think it's worth pointing out too that Murray forced his employees to go to a Romney rally and then they were made part of a political ad. He's not exactly all about business ethics. This is also pure speculation on my part but I think if Romney was elected he still would have laid off those employees and blamed it on Obama.

The bad publicity is going to hurt more then a .15 cents increase in the price of pizza. Hell where are the mass lay offs and cut backs caused by higher gas prices?

This was clearly a bad move no matter which way you slice it.

Just wait until Obama fails to renew our defense contracts and how many people will lose their jobs from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Just wait until Obama fails to renew our defense contracts and how many people will lose their jobs from that.
    Good, we overpay way too much for them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Good, we overpay way too much for them anyway.
    So millions of people should lose their jobs, just because Obama hates the military?

The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Defense contracts are an incredibly inefficient way at creating jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Actual corruption in American politics is quite low.
    That depends on your definition of corruption. Super PACs would be considered pretty damn corrupt in a lot of countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Defense contracts are an incredibly inefficient way at creating jobs.
    I'm more concerned about those who already have their foot in the door, as opposed to creating new jobs.

So millions of people should lose their jobs, just because Obama hates the military?
    So we should waste hundreds of billions of dollars when we don't need it, or can obtain similar items / services for much cheaper?

They need to cut their damn prices, or we should buy our goods / services from someone else. I thought Republicans liked the free market!
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-11-15 at 03:30 PM.

I'm more concerned about those who already have their foot in the door, as opposed to creating new jobs.
    You can create more jobs by funneling that money into rebuilding our infrastructure, which will help our economy far more than a few F35s.
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You can create more jobs by funneling that money into rebuilding our infrastructure, which will help our economy far more than a few F35s.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that stimulus doesn't actually create hardly any jobs. Obama even admitted that his past stimulus projects were failures. This isn't the old days anymore, today you only see a handful of construction workers working on a project, in the old days you could very well see over a hundred.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that stimulus doesn't actually create hardly any jobs. Obama even admitted that his past stimulus projects were failures. This isn't the old days anymore, today you only see a handful of construction workers working on a project, in the old days you could very well see over a hundred.
    Uh...any economist will tell you that the stimulus almost singlehandedly stopped us from going into a depression.