Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Just wait until Obama fails to renew our defense contracts and how many people will lose their jobs from that.
    Good, we overpay way too much for them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Good, we overpay way too much for them anyway.
    So millions of people should lose their jobs, just because Obama hates the military?

Just wait until Obama fails to renew our defense contracts and how many people will lose their jobs from that.
    Defense contracts are an incredibly inefficient way at creating jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Actual corruption in American politics is quite low.
    That depends on your definition of corruption. Super PACs would be considered pretty damn corrupt in a lot of countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Defense contracts are an incredibly inefficient way at creating jobs.
    I'm more concerned about those who already have their foot in the door, as opposed to creating new jobs.

So millions of people should lose their jobs, just because Obama hates the military?
    So we should waste hundreds of billions of dollars when we don't need it, or can obtain similar items / services for much cheaper?

They need to cut their damn prices, or we should buy our goods / services from someone else. I thought Republicans liked the free market!
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-11-15 at 03:30 PM.

I'm more concerned about those who already have their foot in the door, as opposed to creating new jobs.
    You can create more jobs by funneling that money into rebuilding our infrastructure, which will help our economy far more than a few F35s.

You can create more jobs by funneling that money into rebuilding our infrastructure, which will help our economy far more than a few F35s.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that stimulus doesn't actually create hardly any jobs. Obama even admitted that his past stimulus projects were failures. This isn't the old days anymore, today you only see a handful of construction workers working on a project, in the old days you could very well see over a hundred.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that stimulus doesn't actually create hardly any jobs. Obama even admitted that his past stimulus projects were failures. This isn't the old days anymore, today you only see a handful of construction workers working on a project, in the old days you could very well see over a hundred.
    Uh...any economist will tell you that the stimulus almost singlehandedly stopped us from going into a depression.

How many jobs can you create building a single F-35 for $20,000,000,000+?

How many jobs can you create by building bridges, roads, and schools with that money?

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the criticisms of it was that it was far too weak to have its full intended effect, which was a result of the Democrats compromising with the Republicans to get it passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    How many jobs can you create building a single F-35 for $20,000,000,000+?

How many jobs can you create by building bridges, roads, and schools with that money?
    For $200M (the cost of a single F-35), they could easily replace every bridge in downtown Minneapolis that is currently dated between 1914 and 1918.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-11-15 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You do realize that the system we're getting is analogous to Switzerland right? I'm not sure what problem, exactly, liberals have with it.

You got your universal health care, don't be greedy. You're starting to sound like the GOP the last 10 years.
    What? The problem I described was with employers being responsible for healthcare. Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    One of the criticisms of it was that it was far too weak to have its full intended effect, which was a result of the Democrats compromising with the Republicans to get it passed.
    Democrats compromising with the Republicans? The Democrats had majorities in both houses of Congress and the White House. There was nobody to compromise with.

Deleted
    Despicable human being if you ask me.

Plus, he lied about how much he needed to increase Pizza prices to offset the costs with health insurance (Forbes did an article about it).

Laying off people and reducing hours to save FIVE cents per pizza? Seriously, wouldn't it have been much more just to the employees to just keep them as they were, get the health insurance and raise pizza prices by said 5 cents? It would even be a good PR move, imo. Who would mind paying a nickel more if you know it'd help all those employees keep their jobs and insurance?

Democrats compromising with the Republicans? The Democrats had majorities in both houses of Congress and the White House. There was nobody to compromise with.
    You need a supermajority to shut down a filibuster (something else, along with Citizens United, that I hope gets a serious overhaul in the coming term, because Republicans abused the hell out of it during the last one). Account for the time wasted before Al Franken was finally allowed to take office, then Ted Kennedy's death, and we're looking at a window of... what was it, a month?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    You need a supermajority to shut down a filibuster (something else, along with Citizens United, that I hope gets a serious overhaul in the coming term, because Republicans abused the hell out of it during the last one). Account for the time wasted before Al Franken was finally allowed to take office, then Ted Kennedy's death, and we're looking at a window of... what was it, a month?
    I'm pretty sure there were never 60 able-bodied Democratic votes in the Senate in the time-frame in question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Despicable human being if you ask me.

Plus, he lied about how much he needed to increase Pizza prices to offset the costs with health insurance (Forbes did an article about it).

Laying off people and reducing hours to save FIVE cents per pizza? Seriously, wouldn't it have been much more just to the employees to just keep them as they were, get the health insurance and raise pizza prices by said 5 cents? It would even be a good PR move, imo. Who would mind paying a nickel more if you know it'd help all those employees keep their jobs and insurance?
    Hell if Schannter had said "Hey, we want to treat our employees well, but it's going to cost a little bit more." And then said he was raising pizza prices by a dollar, he would have gotten MORE business and made MORE profit. But these incredibly wealthy people, they don't live in the same world the rest of us do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure there were never 60 able-bodied Democratic votes in the Senate in the time-frame in question.
    That's why they needed Snowe to sign off on Obamacare, a republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Think that was the quickest I've ever signed a petition.
    Same here, next stop is to get this guy (Russ Feingold) back in the public sphere.