Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    And I see plenty of reason, given that's where I teach.
    You have to be kidding me? you are a teacher with your blatant racist attitude? how do you manage to keep it in check, while you are supposed to be educating students?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Really?

Can you please explain why California and New Jersey are nearly bankrupt and our largest expenses are public employee benefits, pensions and annual raises (Plus cost of living increases)?

I'd simply love to hear what else it could be.
    They are two of the largest discrepancies in receiving federal funding versus what they take in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really?

Can you please explain why California and New Jersey are nearly bankrupt and our largest expenses are public employee benefits, pensions and annual raises (Plus cost of living increases)?

You know that South Carolina is also close to bankruptcy too? I don't actually know of many states doing that well, nor should they. A government making a profit is incredibly wrong.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    You have to be kidding me? you are a teacher with your blatant racist attitude? how do you manage to keep it in check, while you are supposed to be educating students?
    Where was he racist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Where was he racist?
    He's upset that I showed him evidence that Palestinians owned Palestine before Israel illegally stole their land.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't know what measure you're using. I find no evidence of the idea that Texas is the most rapidly growing economy though. Here's one source: http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...ewsrelease.htm

I was under the impression that ND's energy industry led them to the strongest growth, and this is consistent with that.
    last check they had less than 15,000 unemployed people in the entire state... and no... that's not a typo, less than fifteen thousand state-wide are unemployed

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Really?

With California? A broken referendum system is a large part of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    last check they had less than 15,000 unemployed people in the entire state... and no... that's not a typo, less than fifteen thousand state-wide are unemployed
    Is google wrong:
    http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...20unemployment

Is BLS wrong:
    http://www.bls.gov/lau/

Really?

California got screwed back when they put the 2/3 majority for revenue increases. It went down hill FAST after that. But of course it is teachers and firefighters fault.

Somethings are mandatory to have in a civilized country. education and public safety in the forms of firefighters and teachers are those kind of things. I swear to god the far right isnt happy until a teacher is making 3dollars an hour and fire fighters show up to work because they think it is cool to fight fires. Regardless of how low and terrible the wages and the benefits get they will always complain they are too high.

Really how do you think public schools are supposed to get good teachers if you offer them salaries and benefits that are if no terrible so god damn close to terrible. You think it is outrageous for a teacher to make 20 dollars an hour???? If anything we need to pay the best ones even more since a highly qualified teachers with good degrees can earn 3 times this in the private sector no problems.

It is about what we want to priorities and if we want a race to the bottom and beat China as the cheap labor country in the world. Sure good for business but who will buy those things that gets made? noone can afford to buy them anymore since they arent earning enough $$$$ to buy anything anymore.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 08:16 AM ----------

He's upset that I showed him evidence that Palestinians owned Palestine before Israel illegally stole their land.
    It was the land of the Palestinians for centuries before Israel got forced upon them and they got evicted from there own land. Just play with the idea that someone like UN says ok folks these states will now be a new country. I doubt the right wingers would approve of that action by the UN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where was he racist?
    other threads...

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 02:17 AM ----------

and actually you didn't.. you simply restated your claim that it was stolen... now, lets not pollute this thread and keep it OT...

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 02:19 AM ----------

right here... follow the BLS link... ND has less than 15,000 unemployed people.

just like I said it.

and actually you didn't.. you simply restated your claim that it was stolen... [COLOR="red"]
    Hmmm...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Hmmm...
    Shhhh he wants to keep calling me racist!

I think it's the banks tbf
    You know absolutely nothing... I'm living in this state telling you "This is the reason we're broke" and you're postulating from 1000 miles away that it couldn't possibly be your fellow teachers.

Be that as it may, if someone makes a commitment to pay then they should. What would a slight raise in taxes accomplish? Perhaps a 0.1% raise in the sales tax?
    You know what? When they refused to budge on their contracts, we did pay. We froze the budget (Again, because there's no goddamn money) and said they could either take their raises and we'd have to lay off workers in all fields OR they could accept their pay freeze.

Guess how far their "solidarity" went.

New Jersey: All Our Tax Revenue Goes To Education!
    *ahem* A solid 41% of our budget goes to education in some way or the other.

But nobody is willing to pay them wages equivalent to a Masters degree though - and I should know. I have one.
    Again, look at Finland. Their teachers have masters degrees and get paid comparable wages to the US. Don't try to tell me we're not paying teachers enough.

You were right; it was the built up areas, especially around the coast as well as up by DC

http://www.localschooldirectory.com/...tricts/high/VA
    Really? The built up areas of a given state have more money and a better education system? You don't say.

Oh no, in a state of 9m people (just under twice the population of Finland) you found two small examples, oh no.

Cos they don't have oil. It's still #31 in the nation.
    Yes... it's TOTALLY the oil. I wonder how you reconcile your firm "red is bad" belief with other highly successful economies that both lean Libertarian and have no natural resources? Or the fact that Texas has a rapidly growing tech sector?

Yes. Which must upset you as you're too arrogant to even pay attention to the things I say given I teach in South Carolina.
    Fair's fair since you seem so quick to dismiss what I say about living in New Jersey.

Have they? Haven't seen it declared in the news. I imagine there's a lot more problems in those governments beyond union workers.
    If you haven't been seeing anything in the news, it's not my fault.

Chris Christie has also been fighting unions tooth and claw for the last 2 years to the tune of a 53% approval rating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    It was the land of the Palestinians for centuries before Israel got forced upon them and they got evicted from there own land. Just play with the idea that someone like UN says ok folks these states will now be a new country. I doubt the right wingers would approve of that action by the UN.
    and the Israeli/Israelite claim goes back thousands of years

and the Israeli/Israelite claim goes back thousands of years
    I guess we should turn over both North and South America to the Native Americans, then?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shhhh he wants to keep calling me racist!
    Was it not you that said that Israeli citizens deserved to be blown up by suicide bombers because they support the Israeli government? hmm? or did I read that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    California got screwed back when they put the 2/3 majority for revenue increases. It went down hill FAST after that. But of course it is teachers and firefighters fault.

Somethings are mandatory to have in a civilized country. education and public safety in the forms of firefighters and teachers are those kind of things. I swear to god the far right isnt happy until a teacher is making 3dollars an hour and fire fighters show up to work because they think it is cool to fight fires. Regardless of how low and terrible the wages and the benefits get they will always complain they are too high.

Really how do you think public schools are supposed to get good teachers if you offer them salaries and benefits that are if no terrible so god damn close to terrible. You think it is outrageous for a teacher to make 20 dollars an hour???? If anything we need to pay the best ones even more since a highly qualified teachers with good degrees can earn 3 times this in the private sector no problems.
    I dunno. Let's ask Finland. They actually pay their teachers less and get much better results.

Also you didn't explain New Jersey's crisis. I'm seriously waiting for someone to offer even one plausible reason NJ is in financial trouble while still avoiding blaming the unions (Because god forbid the left ever admit unions could cause a problem, them being the gentle omnibenevolent souls they are). Raise taxes? Been doing that since the late 80s. Taxes still too low? We're the 2nd highest taxed in the nation.

So have at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know absolutely nothing... I'm living in this state telling you "This is the reason we're broke" and you're postulating from 1000 miles away that it couldn't possibly be your fellow teachers.
    You can't use this damn excuse given you know nothing of teaching, our pay, how it works and even where I am.

You know what? [b]When they refused to budge on their contracts
    End of game. Respect the contract signed.

*ahem*
    So not all then.

Again, look at Finland. Their teachers have masters degrees and get paid comparable wages to the US. Don't try to tell me we're not paying teachers enough.
    Finland gives teachers a shit ton more respect. They're comparable to doctors, with doctor's power over the education of their students. They also teach about 60% of the time American teachers are, giving them far more time to prep for classes. The teaching colleges are considered prestigious and difficult to get into; 1 in 10 achieve it. When you start respecting teachers like this, then you'll get something like Finland. America simply does not. America has a drastic pay disparity between regions too - NJ may compare. Most states simply do not. It's why America's ed keeps slipping; not enough investment into teaching (not necessarily pay raise.)

Really? The built up areas of a given state have more money and a better education system? You don't say.
    Mindblowing, I know.

So you're bringing up the Hong Kong economy to compare to SC's education system? Stop bloody stretching; Texas is in shit. Most red states are. Most blue states are far better off.

Stuff about NJ
    You can find that crap anywhere. What about the SC struggle for Haley's budget slashing and our imminent demise? (to be fair, it's been going on for decades)

Fighting unions, so what? What has that got to do with quality of education, where NJ is superb and the ONLY red state doing any good (because of her natural resources, not education system) is Texas?

Was it not you that said that Israeli citizens deserved to be blown up by suicide bombers because they support the Israeli government? hmm? or did I read that wrong?
    I said they had no right to call themselves victims when their government perpetuates the problem. There's no inherent "deserve" in there. I abhor violence.

So have at it.
    Joyous day! You have statistics showing us how much "extra" money is spent because of unions and are willing to share, despite the fact that NJ is hugely successful compared to nearly every red state!
    Last edited by Zhangfei; 2012-11-17 at 08:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    right here... follow the BLS link... ND has less than 15,000 unemployed people.

just like I said it.
    I thought you ment Texas. ND has a labour force of just over 7k increase a year with a population of under 700k. They have 7000, yes that's just 7000 new workers a year, their unemployment number, is twice that of new labour force. Compare the ND land mass to Brooklyn and their population of 2.4 million.

When anyone tells you, 'your one in a million'. There are 2 more of you in Brooklyn than ND.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought you ment Texas. ND has a labour force of just over 7k increase a year with a population of under 700k. They have 7000, yes that's just 7000 new workers a year, their unemployment number, is twice that of new labour force. Compare the ND land mass to Brooklyn and their population of 2.4 million.
    Unemployment of 3.0%