Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    It's nightmarishly hard to enforce standards for teachers because students drastically differ. I don't see how competition would work; teachers have to teach. You can't have up-and-coming teachers compete unless they too have jobs to be judged on.
    The students may differ but the material remains the same.They all still need to understand certain principles and be able to express certain competencies to proceed.Some students will still fall through the cracks unless they get special attention.They can be identified through regular assessments and either help given to them or at least concern raised to their parents.Making sure everyone knows the national and state ranking of schools will help enforce standards of quality in schools.Having state inspectors to go investigate poorly performing schools will help identify where the problem lies.

when i say competition, i mean that the whole society benefits from school competition.People will know which schools underperform.The horrible ones will improve.The top best schools will compete even harder while average shcools will strive and compete to enter the elite category of top performign schools.

One school i know gave cash incentive to teachers, which made some(on their own volition)come at odd hours to tutor kids.The math teachers even took students performing below a certain index number and gave them some remedial classes.Must it always include cash?? it does not have to but it does provides monetary returns in some way, in that the better a school is , the more students and the more money it gets.
    Competition among students can encourage a better performance from kids and give them goals to work for.So as you can see competition is a multifaceted incentive that can be implemented in several ways.
    Last edited by walexia; 2012-11-17 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Just terrible, i think a law is in order that forbids people like Romney to put all his money in tax heavens like the Caymans
    Yeah... see... there's no way to remove money from the American economy without putting it under your bed.

It doesn't matter if he fires $200 million into the Sun much less puts it in a bank in the Caymans. The money cannot be removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by walexia View Post
    The students may differ but the material remains the same. snip
    But the students still differ drastically. The material can be badger-baiting, if you're given a class who've never heard of badgers while your neighbouring teacher gets the proficient fox-baiters, he or she will always succeed. Standardised testing will show that. It doesn't make them better or you worse and it doesn't mean you should suffer the consequences of administration.

A lot of the other stuff is nice, but you forget American teachers already work far more hours than most of their counterparts. I certainly would consider some tuition if it was needed but it's because I choose to as a favour, not because I should or am morally obliged to.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Yeah... see we're paying $240 billion a year in interest when our debt level is "only" $16 trillion.

If we keep borrowing people are going to get leery of our ability to pay it back and interest rates will rise.

FYI 3% interest on $60 trillion in debt is $1.8 trillion a year. In interest alone. Nevermind paying off principal.

Should have thought about that before you busted the surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Yeah... see... there's no way to remove money from the American economy without putting it under your bed.

It doesn't matter if he fires $200 million into the Sun much less puts it in a bank in the Caymans. The money cannot be removed.
    Wait... what?

Somehow putting money under my bed is more destructive than launching it into the sun?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

But the students still differ drastically.
    This is true, but arn't we all different ?What i mean by setting a standard is that for example you need to make sure your class can move from point A to point B, some of your students may strut like peackcocks , others may drag their feet as they dread the activity.but as long as they can make it to point B then they satisfy the criteria of the standard.
    The material can be badger-baiting, if you're given a class who've never heard of badgers while your neighbouring teacher gets the proficient fox-baiters, he or she will always succeed. Standardised testing will show that. It doesn't make them better or you worse and it doesn't mean you should suffer the consequences of administration.
    Despite whether or not your students are familiar with a subject, you have to teach them starting from the basics or gfrom the ground up irrespective of how many of your students are "well versed" with the topic.Your goal after all is to make a person who has never "baited a badger" become proficient in baiting badgers.If they know how toi do it then your job becomes easier ...but that does not mean you are going to have 100% of your class know exactly what to do.They should all know what badger baiting is at the end of the class session.

A lot of the other stuff is nice, but you forget American teachers already work far more hours than most of their counterparts. I certainly would consider some tuition if it was needed but it's because I choose to as a favour, not because I should or am morally obliged to.
    You don't have to , unless your analysis of the students assessments shows they need the help.Even then some teachers ask for some form of compensation from the parent(private tutoring sessions) and some may just let the parent know that their kid may need help...but that your hands are tied and they may need to seek help from other private tutors.most parents will respond favourably though some really don't care that much.However if you have done what you need to do, then that should be great start for the country.
    Last edited by walexia; 2012-11-17 at 11:49 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I sympathise with the employees affected, but if these executives want to cut their noses off to spite their faces, let them. The whole thing will bite them in the ass when they can't make their deliveries because they don't have the people to get done on time and correctly. (either in pizza or natural gas)

Despite whether or not your students are familiar with a subject, you have to teach them starting from the basics...
    It's just not that simple. In the school district I live in, 30-50% of students are sub-standard at English proficiency.

How do you bait a badger in Spanish, Hmong, or Somalian? Yeah, I don't know either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    imo why would you wanna live longer anyway? Things are so much better when you dont exist, life sucks.
    It has taken hundreds of billions of years for our planet to develop, millions for your family to grow and the chances of you existing is so tiny it should be impossible. Your great-grandfather could've been killed in World War 2, your great-great-great-great grand-father might have died from Plague or Disease, your mother might have not liked your father...

So many things in life are so fragile it is weird we even exist! Now, considering the fact that you're alive with the smallest chance in history of that ever happening, why do you think life sucks? I'm just curious, not here to lecture you on the sacred ways of life, or convert you to any religion, but I'm just curious how someone can look at themselves and life and think it sucks.

Perhaps what you're doing with your life sucks? Change that maybe?

On-Topic: Companies (mine included) often lay off people because we want to change things around a bit, keep people on their toes, but also to keep new blood coming into the system. Profits are very important to me, and I have fired people before who I felt were not worth their wage. Under Obama things won't improve, but they might get worse (Although the same things goes for Mitt Romney).

Businesses have to plan for the future. The U.S. debt and their plan to get out of it is taking to long, and businesses need to take action now to prevent issues in the future. While this company may not be in such a situation, I've known many companies that haven't had the heart to fire someone, and then they go bust and everyone loses their job.

Should the CEO of this company blame Obama for reducing hours & layoffs, yes. Obama really isn't helping the economy enough. There is so much more that could be done, but isn't getting done.

Deleted
    And so the true evil and issue of America finaly shows it face greedy selfish rich people and ceos that doesent give a rats ass about saving or making there country better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Businesses have to plan for the future. The U.S. debt and their plan to get out of it is taking to long, and businesses need to take action now to prevent issues in the future. While this company may not be in such a situation, I've known many companies that haven't had the heart to fire someone, and then they go bust and everyone loses their job.

Should the CEO of this company blame Obama for reducing hours & layoffs, yes. Obama really isn't helping the economy enough. There is so much more that could be done, but isn't getting done.
    If your (and these CEOs') real concern is the debt, then they might want to consider how the big tax cuts and increased military spending proposed by Romney would have helped that situation. Most of the debt was built up under Bush via his tax cuts and unfunded wars. Obama's stimulus was a necessary measure in the face of a recession that many people at the time were predicting would turn into another Great Depression. At least his approach to wars abroad has been to end them rather than begin new ones which will be good news for the debt in the medium term.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post

I have got to ask what Pot are you smoking.

Businesses take so many tax cuts they pay less then 1% of what they make.

All CEO's have the heart to fire someone they do it nonstop all the time did you not read the OP. They would not be CEO's if they didn't they do what is needed to make more profit even stepping on everyone.

Stop trying to blame obama for information you make up in your fantasy world.

If companys would stop taking stupid tax cuts and and the shit bush did didn't happen we would not be in the whole we are in.

Please just stop talking until you know what the hell your talking about.

"Ill accpt my ban/infaction now."

edit: Bill gates makes over 500$ every sec of every day now tell me why is it so hard for him to pay a little more in tax's the amount he makes in 1 day a city full of people could live off of for 1 month each.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-11-17 at 12:42 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Businesses take so many tax cuts they pay less then 1%.
    I wish LOL was more than 3 characters.

what puzzles me the most about this is that one of the rules of any successful business ...is not to take sides in the political bickering of the government.Especially if you are a service company.You never want to upset your customers no matter who they are because at the end of the day...their money is the same as anyone elses.As a service company reputation is everything, if denny's or papa johns want to start getting political, guess who gets their "offended " business ??? yeah the other business services who don't mix politics with their business.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I wish LOL was more than 3 characters.
    Sorry its early in the morning what did u mean?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Sorry its early in the morning what did u mean?
    I own a business. I could post what I pay in taxes, but I'll just say it's a LOT more than 1%.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-11-17 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I own a business. I could post what I pay in taxes.
    so you comparing your business to one the size of walmart/microsoft/Pappa johns??????

I really don't get the point of ur original reply to me.

unless we live under an old fashioned monarchy ...or a dictatorship...i find it highly unlikely that the entire economic hardships of a whole nation were solely the fault of one man.I mean I was kinda hoping that since we also elect other legislators to the government that they somehow have a say it what happens...unless they are spectators or "observers".

Businesses take so many tax cuts they pay less then 1% of what they make.
    Typically because we move our businesses off-shore where we don't need to pay high tax rates. Not all companies have the luxury of paying a mere 1% Tax, but I can tell you this, if there was a place I could do so, I'd have my company stationed there by tomorrow morning!

All CEO's have the heart to fire someone they do it nonstop all the time did you not read the OP. They would not be CEO's if they didn't they do what is needed to make more profit even stepping on everyone.
    In that instance (And I could've made it a lot clearer) I wasn't talking about big corporations or companies, I was talking about the smaller companies. The more family run, local community companies that give a lot to the community, but are on a very small profit margin.

Stop trying to blame obama for information you make up in your fantasy world. If companys would stop taking stupid tax cuts and and the shit bush did didn't happen we would not be in the whole we are in.
    I'm not blaming Obama for the situation you're in, I'm blaming Obama for not getting the U.S. out of it fast enough. Businesses are what keeps a country moving, you need to free up more money for the people to spend in the companies they want to, bring back manufacturing and improve the lives of the people. Obama has done amazing things, but he hasn't done enough.

I know that some of his desires are being blocked by the Republicans, but he had a strong start of his first administration, he should've passed the most extreme and difficult laws then, instead of just appealing to the poor masses.

Please just stop talking until you know what the hell your talking about.

edit: Bill gates makes over 500$ every sec of every day now tell me why is it so hard for him to pay a little more in tax's the amount he makes in 1 day a city full of people could live off of for 1 month each.
    I think my daily meetings with business leaders from around the world, and talking with CEOs from around the world gives me a bit more insight into the issue then yourself. I'm not saying I have all the answers, and I am not saying Obama is to blame, nor that the CEO mentioned in the OP was right, but things are not improving fast enough.

On the note of Bill Gates, why should he? His 1% tax a year is more then you'll pay in your entire life. Why should his success be penalised so people can think it is okay to sit around and do nothing? If I pay taxes, I want it to go to good use, not paying for people who refuse to work, can't be bothered to improve or are just lazy.

Bill Gates worked hard for his money, why should he give it away to people who don't work hard?

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 12:54 PM ----------

unless we live under an old fashioned monarchy ...or a dictatorship...i find it highly unlikely that the entire economic hardships of a whole nation were solely the fault of one man.I mean I was kinda hoping that since we also elect other legislators to the government that they somehow have a say it what happens...unless they are spectators or "observers".
    I'm not blaming one man, and in-fact I am not blaming Obama for the mess the United States is in at the moment. I blame Bush and his Administration for that. I am blaming Obama and his policies (And those that support and enact them) for not getting the economy moving fast enough.