17" gaming laptop request.

A friend recently requested that I help her find a "gaming laptop". I don't keep up on the "gaming laptop" market, as I normally do not recommend them. However, she is split 50/50 between work at a camp in the mountains and her home which is 2 ish hours away.

Anyways, I figure it does not hurt to ask for help.

Budget - $1000 (will "pony up" if needed should something exceed budget by a bit)
    Display - 17" at her request, no specific resolution in mind.

She does medium end gaming mostly via steam(we're not talking BF3 ultra). Obviously I want to help her get the most bang for her buck gaming wise. She will not be purchasing anything for the next 2 years, so it has to last at least that long.

Suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Dell U2711 27" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Zowie FK1 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

I own a G74SX-BBK8 and have used a G75VW-DH73-3D quite extensively and would suggest any version of those models [G74SX or G75VW series]. Adequate cooling during heavy use, enjoyable workmanship and solid framework, there's not much bad about them other than their sheer weight (as a gaming laptop, it's slightly more than normal but completely acceptable), the asus liveupdate feature can glitch giving you a permanent update telling you to change the BIOS, and possibly the speakers being sub-par for some users. All in all I am very pleased with the purchase.

With a 1k budget she won't be able to afford more than a mid-range gaming laptop but with the right deal it could equate to a lot.

This, Sager NP6175
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

have a brand prefer or avoid?

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    small list and lots of them are open box ones (reason for them being in budget likely old demo models from a store)
    15" would be easier and more available.

edit: filter options 17", top price 1150 listed, select dedicated GPU and 1920x1080 +- 10 models remain of which 6/7 are out of stock/discontinued.
    Last edited by shroudster; 2012-12-07 at 02:25 PM.

I have an Asus g75 for travel, lan parties, or lets face it gaming from bed. It's pretty good, it can play anything on medium and higher. It's in the $1000 ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    I have an Asus g75 for travel, lan parties, or lets face it gaming from bed. It's pretty good, it can play anything on medium and higher. It's in the $1000 ballpark.
    I second this, though I grabbed the G74Sx. Haven't found anything it couldn't handle at @ least medium settings. Most run on High, some (bf3 in particular) I run on Ultra. They have a good overall design, though slightly thicker than most laptops, but that's do to its cooling setup.

She doesn't live in Alaska, does she?