Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    454

    Anyone doing great as SV in pvp?

    I left WoW just as MoP arrived, was fed up with several things, pvp burst being one of them.

    So no: I wasn't all too happy seeing the beta reports on BM hunters burst. And even less so seeing the live reports on BM burst after launch...

    MM isn't my thing, but I sure would like to see that specc being restored some more in pvp. But this as a side note.

    If I come back to WoW it will be for one thing only: to play my SV hunter that I played since Vanilla. Yes: I was Survival in Vanilla pvp, slow-root-root-lacerate-... you know the drill.

    With the MoP changes I saw very little in the SV specc that seemed good for pvp.
    With very little I mean: entrapment and magic damage. That's about it.
    No insane burst, not much burst at all to be honest.

    Shorter trap cooldowns are nice sure, but having to give up Black Arrow just to use the explosive trap glyph makes this SV specc the WORST trap specc, instead of the best. In my opinion at least, I could be wrong but I doubt the shorter trap cooldown ofsets the loss of either explosive trap glyph or BA.

    Anyhow: I'm mostly theorycrafting, so I was wondering:

    who is doing pvp as SV and is doing well?
    And more important than the anecdotical 'I kill every class with my eyes closed' I would like to ask:WHY do you consider SV good in pvp?

    I'm not seeing it from where I stand, so enlighten me.

    worst case scenario is that MM still needs improvements, SV is mediocre at best, and the recent nerfs to BM overdid it and ruined the specc again...
    Please say I'm exagerating on that one, would be so sad to see this happen again.

  2. #2
    You could be waiting quite some time before you get a reply stating why SV is a good pvp spec....

    Here's why:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdzZk_SbO3s&t=7m0s
    Last edited by Dela2k10; 2012-11-10 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhazrun View Post
    You know how people talk about how you could just make a piece of rock with a billion health and damage and call it "hard"?

    Ra-den is what you get when a designer thinks that's actually a really good idea.
    i7-3930k @ 4.6 | Sabertooth X79 | 32GB DDR3-1600 | GTX-680 Jetstream SLI | TX950W

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Dela2k10 View Post
    You could be waiting quite some time before you get a reply stating why SV is a good pvp spec....
    If I didn't fear this to be true, I wouldn't have bothered making a post about it

    But if it matters, the answer could also be: 'No, I didn't do great as SV because of...'

    You're quite on the spot I'm afraid, but that doesn't stop me from asking if and how others are experiencing SV pvp.
    I might be missing something since I can't test it myself for now.

  4. #4
    Burst is what SV is currently missing, i see alot of post on how MM needs to be buffed and while it sure does i feel there is little to no interest for surv fixes regarding pvp. My guess is that the majority of pvp'ers just have more interest in spec like MM where direct dmg comes into place, i for one love how surv plays just sad that we have to deal with the current issues.

    I have been playing nothing but surv since i dinged 90 and sure you do good dmg tbh, but you cant put real pressure on any target realy and thats where i think the main problem lies we got good tools just no pressure. fixing how LNL works would be a good start making it into one exp shot would definitly help and ofc the never ending horrible idea of shared cd on BA and exp trap aint helping either. Scratching LNL procs of exp shot would ballance it out pretty good.

  5. #5
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoz View Post
    Burst is what SV is currently missing, i see alot of post on how MM needs to be buffed and while it sure does i feel there is little to no interest for surv fixes regarding pvp. My guess is that the majority of pvp'ers just have more interest in spec like MM where direct dmg comes into place, i for one love how surv plays just sad that we have to deal with the current issues.

    I have been playing nothing but surv since i dinged 90 and sure you do good dmg tbh, but you cant put real pressure on any target realy and thats where i think the main problem lies we got good tools just no pressure. fixing how LNL works would be a good start making it into one exp shot would definitly help and ofc the never ending horrible idea of shared cd on BA and exp trap aint helping either. Scratching LNL procs of exp shot would ballance it out pretty good.
    thanks, not saying something I didn't expect to hear, but it's good to see your view on it.

  6. #6
    Well, it's probably better than mm now and you do have a few extra tools now like silencing shot.

  7. #7
    I do decent with it, buti t lacks really good burst, if you proc a lnl you can do decent burst but nowhere near bm bestial wrath.
    what could help is making LnL one explosive shot tripled in damage. and make black arrow undispellable or a dispel protection.

  8. #8
    The spec is more gimp than MM. Sure you can turret damage and probably rack up numbers in BGs, but random BGs are just rounds of glorified target practice anyways unless you're doing RBGs or premade BGs. It has no burst and therefore no ability to pressure people to use defensive CDs.

  9. #9
    well i personally like surv spec because of its good def cd's and stable dmg's.....im doing well enough in arenas,even tho im not that dedicated aiming for high ratings but in bg's they sure can be very strong dmg dealers and teamplayers because of their short cd's traps and mobility to CC healers and dps ....imo BM spec is more like being solo guy who like to burst single guy down which depends highly on ur pet dmg....if ever pet is going to be feared out of ur place then its basically 80% u r dead when u have skills on cd just because u won't make good dmg without pet...... so i won't touch BM spec since its dmg skills r too simple for me to have fun using my skills

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by scolome View Post
    well i personally like surv spec because of its good def cd's and stable dmg's.....im doing well enough in arenas,even tho im not that dedicated aiming for high ratings but in bg's they sure can be very strong dmg dealers and teamplayers because of their short cd's traps and mobility to CC healers and dps ....imo BM spec is more like being solo guy who like to burst single guy down which depends highly on ur pet dmg....if ever pet is going to be feared out of ur place then its basically 80% u r dead when u have skills on cd just because u won't make good dmg without pet...... so i won't touch BM spec since its dmg skills r too simple for me to have fun using my skills
    Out of interest: what good defensive cooldowns does SV have?

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral Duito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere between Reality and Fiction!
    Posts
    1,215
    I do great with SV
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

    LIFE

    (L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Duito View Post
    I do great with SV
    Cool.
    What do you consider it's strong points compared to you doing great as MM or BM?

  13. #13
    that would be traps shorter cd's since 6sec difference is a lot when combining to all available public hunter def cd's

  14. #14
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by scolome View Post
    that would be traps shorter cd's since 6sec difference is a lot when combining to all available public hunter def cd's
    that coupled with entrapment has always been a rather undervalued feature of SV indeed.
    Or maybe it's not undervalued, but simply no enough...

    Kiting is defense, but I don't see how this is really all that strong at this point in the game.
    Does it really give the SV hunter great defense in pvp right now?
    Or is it mostly a good tool against the sustained damge of melees, which isn't exactly the biggest threat a melee offers.

    Just thinking out loud here, not saying you're wrong.
    Seriously asking myself if the trap cooldown is all that strong in the end. Entrapment is strong, not that convinved if the trap cooldown cuts it by itself.

  15. #15
    well when mop came, all melee classes got higher boost to own mobility to reach ranged class effectively making (at least for me) entrapment pretty strong to have distance between them.....its just that ppl look into strong dmg instead of having good mobility/survival abilites.....i guess it all depends on what style fits u most....is it high burst(will be nerfed for BM tho) on target or are u more of like tactician who can survive any situation......either way im tactician and i love being one <3

  16. #16
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    454
    I stated in my OP that I played SV in pvp (and pve for that matter) since vanilla, which would make me the tactician type. Not the burst type... I always play defensive more.

    The reason of this topic is to get as much detailed views on current SV pvp as possible.

    Most posts are either about BM burst or MM needing buffs.
    it's like SV hardly exists in pvp ever since they rightfully nerfed Explosive shot stuns...
    So I ask, and I split hairs on the answers given

  17. #17
    I played Survival and did fine just like everyone said it has no burst but the damage is rather consistent. I spec'd into Thrill of the Hunt and you pretty much don't have to cast. Entrapment is awesome obviously and the shorter traps are also pretty good. What I personally don't like is the fact that a lot of the damage comes from Serpent Sting and Black Arrow and it feels kinda warlocky.

    I think it can be played successfully but I currently play MM so.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

    Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

    -Huainy

  18. #18
    Only play survival in RBG's since the BM nerf, the aoe cleave is great, the root trap for controlling the enemy team etc.
    I wrack up some great numbers that rival some frost DK's, But as for 3v3 i play marks, it was the spec i played throughout S11 and was best at i enjoy it the most so i push myself to get better at it, Surv would be ok in 3s with spriest or lock as a dps partner maybe, but i'd still perfer marks. as for 2v2 bm is still king with OD burst, vs healer dps comps as double dps you need the burst, as healer dps vs healer dps your dots get dispeled as surv and most of your pressure is gone.

  19. #19
    Survival, is great in my opinion. I'm doing well and topping the dps meters in BG's. I made a post about survial pvp today, didnt see this one. People under estimate survial or just flat out dont know how to play it in pvp.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Scum bucket View Post
    Survival, is great in my opinion. I'm doing well and topping the dps meters in BG's. I made a post about survial pvp today, didnt see this one. People under estimate survial or just flat out dont know how to play it in pvp.
    Like random scrub BGs matter lol... Try it in Arena or Rated BG, you'll find yourself crying how bad the spec is

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •