Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unusually Good Luck?

Okay, now, all of everything I see on these forums about the general WoW community is that it's a plague of mouthbreathers who spout barely-competent drivel all over the keyboard while doing approximately 8k DPS in 470 itemlevel gotten from facerolling LFR with the 'goods' carrying them.

Or is everyone exaggerating? Because I have, as what I like to think of as an above-average competent player (by the standards above, I would be a god), have never encountered any of these things.

I've never seen a DPS failing to break 20k in a heroic.
    I've never seen somebody needing on gear they don't need out of spite or to vendor.
    I've never seen people raging at anyone in a random dungeon and using language that's... y'know. That kind of bad.
    I've never been in an LFR that was 24 mouthbreathers and myself. I've never been in an LFR that had any mouthbreathers.

Am I abnormally lucky? Or is the community as a whole exaggerating? Like, a lot?
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Okay, now, all of everything I see on these forums about the general WoW community is that it's a plague of mouthbreathers who spout barely-competent drivel all over the keyboard while doing approximately 8k DPS in 470 itemlevel gotten from facerolling LFR with the 'goods' carrying them.

Or is everyone exaggerating? Because I have, as what I like to think of as an above-average competent player (by the standards above, I would be a god), have never encountered any of these things.

I've never seen somebody needing on gear they don't need out of spite or to vendor.
    I've never seen people raging at anyone in a random dungeon and using language that's... y'know. That kind of bad.
    I've never been in an LFR that was 24 mouthbreathers and myself. I've never been in an LFR that had any mouthbreathers.

Am I abnormally lucky? Or is the community as a whole exaggerating? Like, a lot?
    Seen all of those. Well, on the last one, not 24 mouthbreathers as you call them, but several of them at once.

In fact, thinking it through, I've done all of those except the first one.
    Last edited by mmoc6cf4b9154f; 2012-11-11 at 01:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a combination of exaggeration and standards that are too high.

But yeah, I see stuff like that fairly rarely. Almost all dungeons and LFR runs I do are fine.

10+ Year Old Account

You're likely forgetting the times you did because those times are far smaller than the times you didn't.

I mean, if I concentrate I can remember a few specific times, like a DK dps that stole my tanking helm back in ZA, but that's the only one that comes to mind. I've lost rolls before on MS vs OS but I just shrug and move on. I've seen plenty of dps below what should be acceptable in heroics but I wouldn't be able to name any names. Overall, though, out of my hundreds of dungeons, raids, and LFR's, they usually go pretty well and I have no complaints.

Unfortunately I don't believe you about LFR unless you're running a full guild group. Every single time I've ever run it there has been at least one person who fails regularly.

I'm not going to come on the forums to rage about a typical pleasant LF-something experience. So in a sense, it is an exaggeration.

It's also kind of human nature to focus on outliers. Even if 90% of my dungeons just work, I'm still going to clearly remember the douchebag at the start of Cata who made a toon on my server to rage at me for needing on spirit gear (as a boomie).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    I'm not going to come on the forums to rage about a typical pleasant LF-something experience. So in a sense, it is an exaggeration.

It's also kind of human nature to focus on outliers. Even if 90% of my dungeons just work, I'm still going to clearly remember the douchebag at the start of Cata who made a toon on my server to rage at me for needing on spirit gear (as a boomie).
    Anything notable will stick in your head, of course, though even those notable events sometimes get overwritten as time goes on. The more years you add to your experience in the game, the more of the "special events" you start to forget.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do low level dungeons at 4 or 5 am.

I 100% assure you that almost all of your runs will be hilariously bad. All of the first three will apply.

Usually, 3 out of the 5 members will be from Latin American servers, and about 80% of the Latin American server players apparently have absolutely no idea what to do in this game (I make sure to compliment the 20% that are good, though). I've had many (read: multiple in a row with different offenders all from L.A. realms) players need on every item. The only response I've ever gotten as to a justification was "i need" and it was a rogue (who was the worst dps in the group by far) needing The Black Heart (a +Sta/+Armor trinket). He took it from a PuG tank (the only other non-L.A. realm player in the group) who then spent 5 minutes ranting about foreign players. I remember just looking at the screen and shaking my head through the whole thing.

So, yeah. It really varies. My groups are rarely bad when I play on Tuesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights or afternoons, but at 4 a.m. I can hardly contain my laughter as I top DPS meters as a Holy Paladin.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-11-11 at 02:25 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

You're just lucky. I see it a lot, for example today I have been leveling my Warrior through dungeons as Tank, we killed the last boss in Stonecore, and wahey, the Tank trinket drops! Nope, the Rogue needs on it and wins.:/

Of course, the bad things you are going to remember as it sticks out more, as Darsithis mentioned. Hope the luck sticks with you, though.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-11-11 at 02:29 AM.

Deleted

I find it hard to believe that during Cata you never saw anybody need on gear they didn't need...so either you are lucky or you are telling lies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepharoth View Post
    In fact, thinking it through, I've done all of those except the first one.
    Ahahaha, this. I often just /follow people through MSV LFR. No one notices. Yeah it makes me a bad person, but fuck it, if they dont like it they can Vkick me and maybe ill actually play properly next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

15+ Year Old Account
    Let me paint you a pretty picture. Usually when I do lfr I get a good group who knows what they're doing and I am in mid-pack of them dps. But then around 30% of the time I get in a bad raid where I am usually top dps. Not because my deeps are just better then theirs but because the 'good' dps end up dieing to stupid shit and I end up coming out on top.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    You are lucky...because it definitely happens.

The good thing is that for the most part, the instances of it are few and far between or just aren't really a big deal. The healer outdps'd a dps on a heroic boss? No biggie, the rest of the group can carry him, it's just one dungeon. You probably don't even notice those underperforming people in LFR. Generally there's always someone to make up for them.

I've seen plenty of bad language go out in dungeons and LFR, but it's a simple...put them on ignore and right click report for bad language and let Blizzard deal with them. The best response I've seen? Doing a heroic one day the tank suddenly says to the druid "Boomkin, you're a retard". Now I was healing and I don't quite know what the boomkin did to warrant this attack, but instead of getting mad at the tank he just said "Thanks" and we continued on like nothing happened. I've seen other groups that will full on scream at each other if one insults the other.

Then there are the greedy gear ninjas...I run into those more often than anything else. There was the time my husband was tanking and a tanking trinket dropped, which the rogue needed on and won. We questioned him, and pretty much refused to move until he handed it over and he did. However, I've been running heroic Stormstout Brewery for three weeks now and have only seen the healing cloak from the second boss drop twice. The first time I got outrolled by a shadow priest, which, ok...I wasn't happy but I could see because he could use it for healing spec or use the spirit on it for hit (even though the spirit flask effect wouldn't benefit him much in dps spec). Today, it dropped and I had a mage take it from me. When questioned he told me "reforge"...because we all know all mages benefit greatly from spirit, especially from spirit flasks, and especially more than healers. So trust me...those people are definitely out there, and you've definitely been lucky if you never run into them.

yes, it is mostly exaggeration but it does happen semi frequently.
    the other day I was in stormstout brewery and there was a dps warrior that did 12k dps on the last boss (think he was just standing around afk most of the time). loot drops and he needs on both the int staff and tank ring and wins both.

i honestly don't believe you've not seen this stuff. it's like people who don't see bots, they just don't notice bots. you have to know your shit to notice the bads, or you're probably one of the bads.

Honestly I've had great luck with dungeons, ok luck with LFR and a spotless record of only getting into random bgs with the scum of the Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I routinely have a DPS in heroics that is doing less than 15k dps. But, it's always made up by someone doing abnormally good DPS, so it kind of evens itself out. On the issue of LFR, there are always people in there that don't know what they're doing. Usually no more than probably 10 and no less than three. Usually I get lucky and don't have people barking at other people in heroics or in LFR either, so no bad language, for the most part.

It isn't so much you being lucky as the problem being blown out of proportion.

Deleted

1. Why does it matter that they can break 20k? I'd expect them to be doing 40k dps anyway, at least, if they were a bad.
    2. I've seen it, and it's happened to me.
    3. Yep.
    4. Yep.

While I like everyone has seen extremly bad players in LFR, i never encountered that League of Legend level of verbal abuse in this game. Eich I find rather weird tbh, I was expecting alot more freak outs after spending so much time in LoL but most people tend to be terrible in silence, or complain in acceptable ways.

Deleted

I've had all these things.. :s

10+ Year Old Account
    You're extremely lucky. I don't think I've been in a LFR that didn't have at least 7-8 people doing 20k.
    Also, the reason you see people complaining so frequently is why would someone come on the forums to talk about what a good dungeon run they had?