Deleted

Glyph of Everlasting afliction. To do or not to do?

So, everywhere I read, I get told to NOT use this glyph as Demo lock.

Glyph of Everlasting Affliction increases the DoT time on Corruption and Doom by 50% and reduces their damage by 20%.
    I know my basic math and if I start calculating, this is what turns out:

WIHOUT glyph:
    Let's say Corruption ticks for 10 damage EVERY second for 10 seconds. That equals 100 damage for one GCD.

WITH glyph:
    Then Corruption ticks for 8 damage EVERY second for 15 seconds. That equals 120 damage for once GCD.

Am I completely off here? And why does every guide I read/watch tell me that this glyph is a DPS LOSS.

It's for PvE purpose ofc, thinking boss fights (I know it shouldn't be used in PvP or while leveling).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mmoc44b031ba47; 2012-11-11 at 12:09 AM.

I think you mean glyph of Everlasting Affliction , not glyph of Unstable Affliction .
    I´m also interested about how much of a dps loss really is .

Sure you get more damage per GCD that's obvious, but you have to think - what am I replacing that GCD with? Not a very valuable spell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    Sure you get more damage per GCD that's obvious, but you have to think - what am I replacing that GCD with? Not a very valuable spell
    Ain't one GCD gained+20% extra damage better than one GCD less and normal damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Quae View Post
    I think you mean glyph of Everlasting Affliction , not glyph of Unstable Affliction
    Yea, sorry- My bad.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 01:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sillikoni View Post
    depends how you use it
    What kind of crappy answer is that?
    If you can't contribute in just SOME way, then please don't post a comment that NOONE can use for NOTHING, and spend your time on something else -.-
    Last edited by mmoc44b031ba47; 2012-11-11 at 12:03 AM.

You are forgetting about MG as well. Using an 'real world' example with no haste:

- 2 EA Corruptions = 27 ticks over 54 seconds, 2 GCDs to cast, those ticks are worth 27 * .8 = 21.6 normal ticks. If MG is 1 tick/s then over that time you get 54 * .8 * .5 damage extra, or 21.6 'normal' ticks. Altogether you get 43.2 'normal' ticks of damage.

- 3 Non EA Corruptions = 27 ticks over 54 seconds, 3 GCDs to cast. If MG is 1 tick/s then over that time you get 54 ticks * .5 damage extra, or 27 'normal' ticks. Overall you get 54 ticks of damage.

Is 1 GCD worth 10.8 'normal' ticks of corruption over roughly a minute? No, because 1 GCD is worth 9 'normal' ticks of Corruption (via recasting).

10+ Year Old Account
    I just went ahead and changed the thread title for you to the approriate name. I think the math people will explain why it's a bad idea to use the glyph if you are looking to maximise your damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    You are forgetting about MG as well. Using an 'real world' example with no haste:

- 2 EA Corruptions = 27 ticks over 54 seconds, 2 GCDs to cast, those ticks are worth 27 * .8 = 21.6 normal ticks. If MG is 1 tick/s then over that time you get 54 * .8 * .5 damage extra, or 21.6 'normal' ticks. Altogether you get 43.2 'normal' ticks of damage.

- 3 Non EA Corruptions = 27 ticks over 54 seconds, 3 GCDs to cast. If MG is 1 tick/s then over that time you get 54 ticks * .5 damage extra, or 27 'normal' ticks. Overall you get 54 ticks of damage.

Is 1 GCD worth 10.8 'normal' ticks of corruption over roughly a minute? No, because 1 GCD is worth 9 'normal' ticks of Corruption (via recasting).
    But Demo locks don't have Malefic Grasp? Thanks for the math though! Now I know that I shouldn't use it for Affliction at all

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 01:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I just went ahead and changed the thread title for you to the approriate name. I think the math people will explain why it's a bad idea to use the glyph if you are looking to maximise your damage.
    Thanks
    And yea, I'm waiting for the math people eventhough it's some quite simple math in my opinion. BUT, I'm sure I forgot something somewhere :/
    Last edited by mmoc44b031ba47; 2012-11-11 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baenesur View Post
    But Demo locks don't have Malefic Grasp? Thanks for the math though! Now I know that I shouldn't use it for Affliction at all
    The answer is even easier for Demo Locks. Touch of Chaos removes the need to hard refresh Corruption.

The easiest way to understand this is that over the course of a 6 minute fight you need to cast 360/18~ 20 corruption GCDs or 360/27~13 GCDs with EA. So 7 GCDs * DPS of filler is the damage gained from the free time.
    However, 20%*corruptions damage over 360 seconds (+ extra damge on MG from Corruption) is > damage gained from extra filler time. This isn't coincidence, Blizzard specifically designed a number of glyphs that were mathematical DPS losses but QoL increases for players that might not be able to play at "that" level.
    Last edited by CDShaidar; 2012-11-11 at 12:16 AM.
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    The answer is even easier for Demo Locks. Touch of Chaos removes the need to hard refresh Corruption.
    There it was. Sorry for missing out on that!
    I just came back to my lock, which I never really played that much, so I haven't had the time to go all in-depth yet (hence the guide watching).

Thanks alot for your answer.