Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Competitive PvP & Rift

Would you like competitive PvP in Rift? Stop by this thread, http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...us-arenas.html

Also check out http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rift-pvp/signatures

This list was started 11/07/12

I think it is time to make some noise and get some decent PvP.

First step for real pvp is the remove gear from the equation. They tried that. People didn't like it.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Rule 1 of Rift pvp. We do not speak of Rift pvp

Devs have zero interest in pvp, so just bail and goto GW2 if you need that fix. Think it is one of those mmo realities right now that everyone knows, but no dev wants to say out loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volfmetal View Post
    Would you like competitive PvP in Rift? Stop by this thread, http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...us-arenas.html

Also check out http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rift-pvp/signatures

This list was started 11/07/12

I think it is time to make some noise and get some decent PvP.

Yeah good luck with that. Even a game like GW2 that has equalized gear is full of imbalance. MMORGPs typically aren't the best at competitive PVP and as Rift found out the PVPers cry the loudest and travel like locusts looking for the "perfect" PVP. Why spend a ton of development time on a customer base you can't satisfy the game wasn't developed with competitive PvP in mind. Try LoL, FPS or RTS etc etc for your competitive PVP. Rift PVP is fun at fun level and it pretty much ends there.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-11-07 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Yeah good luck with that. Even a game like GW2 that has equalized gear is full of imbalance. MMORGPs typically aren't the best at competitive PVP and as Rift found out the PVPers cry the loudest and and travel like locusts looking for the "perfect" PVP. Why spend a ton of development time on a customer base you can't satisfy the game wasn't developed with competitive PvP in mind. Try LoL, FPS or RTS etc etc for your competitive PVP. Rift PVP is fun at fun level and it pretty much ends there.
    Hell, gw2 was developed with competitive pvp in mind and pvpers are still QQing about that game.

I'd rather see Trion remove PvP entirely, even if it cost them a percentage of their playerbase. I approve of their efforts to improve their PvP game, but I'd rather them strip all the elements out and just let players tear each other to shreds in the open world.

/warriors
    /pvp will never be balanced in rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    I'd rather see Trion remove PvP entirely, even if it cost them a percentage of their playerbase. I approve of their efforts to improve their PvP game, but I'd rather them strip all the elements out and just let players tear each other to shreds in the open world.
    PvP servers are dead :\

As for arenas, If they added them, let them be unbalanced. Make it clear they are unbalanced, and then let people have fun. Just because it isnt balanced doesnt mean they cant be done. I have played many of LoL games as champions that are not where there are supposed to be, and came out on top. Let them be unbalanced, and let them exist. Just reinforce the point, balance doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Yeah good luck with that. Even a game like GW2 that has equalized gear is full of imbalance. MMORGPs typically aren't the best at competitive PVP and as Rift found out the PVPers cry the loudest and travel like locusts looking for the "perfect" PVP. Why spend a ton of development time on a customer base you can't satisfy the game wasn't developed with competitive PvP in mind. Try LoL, FPS or RTS etc etc for your competitive PVP. Rift PVP is fun at fun level and it pretty much ends there.
    However GW2 doesn't have to worry about gear ruining the re-balance and its pretty solid and even PvP in GW2. 10x more "balanced" then WoW and Rift.

I am curious as to what trions plan is to do with their PvP. So far I've seen nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Hell, gw2 was developed with competitive pvp in mind and pvpers are still QQing about that game.
    As someone who used to be competative in Arenas in WoW, and pretty much plays PvP exclusively in MMO's, I was not happy with GW2's PvP. I think there is a lot of truth to the fact that MMORPG's will never have fully "balanced" PvP specifically because no one can agree on what "balanced" really means. GW2 does a good job of negating the gear aspect, but stumbles in other catagories (IMO at least). The game I had the most fun in recently in PvP was SWTOR without a doubt, specifically the 10-49 bracket.

That being said, Rift's PvP does feel...off. I've only played low level PvP, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but the Warfronts just don't feel right. I'll probably pop on to play them periodically, but its been over a month since I've even touched GW2's PvP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    PvPers don't whine any more than Pvers, Pvers whine about DPS imbalances, melee being useless im one instance or another, guilds testing raids making world firsts unfair, instances beign too hard, instances being too easy, instances being nerfed, people getting raid gear without having to raid, and so on, and this is largely in games that are PvE focused.

Anyway to the OP, Rift is not, nor ever will be the game for competitive (or even good, reasonably balanced PvP), PvPers made a noise for ages, most left. Trion barely reacted to PvP issues and in the instances they did they reacted far too late (ranked WF for instance, no good introducing them 6 months too late, after half the PvP players had left (and many potential PvPers simply gave up at the poor PvP, being stomped by gear is not fun PvP) and there was no longer the population to properly support them).

I certainly doubt they will ever introduce arenas as they require much more (and a differnt type) of balance than the 10-20 team objective based WF you have Rift, in case you haven't noticed WoW has not been able to balance Arenas, which is one of the reasons it was dropped as an e-sport, ou really need a game built from the ground up to do something like that, Rift with all the souls is one of the most unsuitable games I can think of for that purpose.
    Last edited by mmoc1f2ad58cb4; 2012-11-07 at 10:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've thought about PVP in MMOs for a bit now and honestly i think the rock paper scissors method works best. I'd say for competetive games using that system add in a class selection choice nix talents and give same quality gear while accepting that a warrior smashes a mage if he reaches them that a thief can stealth strike a warrior and that amage can shitface both if at range but in close is dead.

So yeah i say screw "balance" on an individual level and go for team/group balance as well as making it to in a competitive environment people can choose classes at the start. Adds some extra strategy as well.

Oh and i think it's fantasy more than MMOs that breed the imbalance factor.

Trion might add arenas at some point, but I don't think true "competitive" PVP is ever in the cards of Rift's future.

For one, Rift really can't support PVP of that kind in any true or intellectually honest manner. Secondly, Rift is just too small.

Arena PVP in a trinity role, hotkey, stat based MMO is already a corrupted concept. World of Warcraft only gets away with arenas due to the game's immense popularity.

Personally, I don't agree with any development resources devoted to PVP. So pass on this particular crusade for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zurgs View Post
    PvPers don't whine any more than Pvers
    Never said they did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    So yeah i say screw "balance" on an individual level and go for team/group balance as well as making it to in a competitive environment people can choose classes at the start. Adds some extra strategy as well.
    Absolutely this. An interesting concept, I'd certainly like to see it in action tbh.

Deleted
    The only way i would agree to arenas in RIFT, is if it rewards no pvp gear, and the game never ends up getting balanced around it.

you should add a poll to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    The game I had the most fun in recently in PvP was SWTOR without a doubt, specifically the 10-49 bracket.
    Also, this.

If swtor had 0 pvp gear except maybe cosmetic orange shells and normalized the 50s bracket in the same why they normalized the rest of the game, swtor would have the best hotkey pvp ever.

But no. They had to copy WoW and their pvp gear inflation insanity.

Deleted
    Well as long as the devs keep sacrificing pvp guild after pvp guild to cater 10 people who played from start and who cry as soon as there is any sign of losing their gear advantage to other players, nothing is going to happen.
    But please let me know if it changes

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Rule 1 of Rift pvp. We do not speak of Rift pvp

Devs have zero interest in pvp, so just bail and goto GW2 if you need that fix. Think it is one of those mmo realities right now that everyone knows, but no dev wants to say out loud.
    Too bad even GW2 has pvp players as second citizens in their current development plans. So many pve events, so little care about important things for pvp and people already start leaving. But it's the best mmo pvp out there atm, so at least I am hanging in there hoping for right changes. Also I got little gaming time so being able to mmo pvp without subfee obligations works well for me. I wish that game devs could stop taking the easy way out and always put pve as priority, but seems like wishful thinking =(

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well as long as the devs keep sacrificing pvp guild after pvp guild to cater 10 people who played from start and who cry as soon as there is any sign of losing their gear advantage to other players, nothing is going to happen.
    But please let me know if it changes

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 04:08 PM ----------

Too bad even GW2 has pvp players as second citizens in their current development plans. So many pve events, so little care about important things for pvp and people already start leaving. But it's the best mmo pvp out there atm, so at least I am hanging in there hoping for right changes. Also I got little gaming time so being able to mmo pvp without subfee obligations works well for me. I wish that game devs could stop taking the easy way out and always put pve as priority, but seems like wishful thinking =(
    Two things,

Omg, I hate people who think gear advantage is important. They always make the argument that "its an mmo. If there isn't a gear difference no one would play". Its like, no. People would play. Just not the people who play right now. You know, the people who enjoy pug stomping in max gear and the people who someday hope to have max gear so they can pug stomp too. Those are terrible people to cater too.

Also, didn't gw2 have a like... dota pvp event for Halloween? I thought I read that somewhere... Either way, that games combat and abilities are super conducive to something like mmo dota. (Smite. But good!) I really hope they make that a regular spvp.

I'm pretty certain most developers tend to look at the respective game modes of PVE and PVP as part of the complete game. Trion and Arena.net included. Don't think it is fair to claim either one "have zero interest in PVP" or treat those mode exclusive players as second class citizens. Its sorta selfish, tbh.

PVP is sort of self fulfilling too. Here are a few maps, fight over them, balancing happens every now and again. People get angry. Repeat.

Developing PVE content is a different beast of resources and to some degree, education.

[PVP in MMOs are just the wrong genre and game type for the most part. Opinions + stuff]
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-08 at 03:24 PM.