Page 1 of 20
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557

    Do people not like flu shots?

    I apologize since this is out of the blue and I rarely post here but do people not like flu shots or something? Every single of my friends sounded gloomy as hell and the response was the same ''I have the flu and no I didn't get a flu shot''

    Oh and a few responses was ''I hate needles end of story''

  2. #2
    I hate getting shots but I have to because of work. The only immunizations I specifically try to avoid are ones that infect you with the actual illness so that you build up antibodies like the smallpox vaccine. Flu-mist is the flu vaccine (shoots actual flu virus up your nose), and it makes me sick every time. I would rather have the possibility of never getting sick than the certainty of getting sick from the vaccine.

    I worked really hard to avoid the anthrax vaccine too since the possibility of getting anthrax was extremely low while the vaccine can mess you up and is painful for a few days after getting it.
    Last edited by Prokne; 2012-11-11 at 04:29 AM.

  3. #3
    I get shots ever year. I dont get the big deal with the tiny amount of pain. In my MMA class i get WAY more pain on a daily bases compared to one tiny needle.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I hate getting shots but I have to because of work. The only immunizations I specifically try to avoid are ones that infect you with the actual illness so that you build up antibodies like the smallpox vaccine. Flu-mist is the flu vaccine (shoots actual flu virus up your nose), and it makes me sick every time. I would rather have the possibility of never getting sick than the certainty of getting sick from the vaccine.

    I worked really hard to avoid the anthrax vaccine too since the possibility of getting anthrax was extremely low while the vaccine can mess you up and is painful for a few days after getting it.
    You should get all vaccines recommended. I don't support the flu (because it's a very small chance that it's the right strain), but shit like Smallpox, Measles, Mumps and the likes are a must, and if you don't get them, than you are contributing to human devolution.
    -You are now breathing manually-

  5. #5
    Brewmaster Desareon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Time-Space & Space-Time
    Posts
    1,299
    I haven't had a shot in over 14 years, haven't been sick other then the sniffes a couple times. And considering the H1N1 vaccines killed more people then the actually H1N1, I'll keep that shit out of my body.

  6. #6
    Epic! OneSent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,670
    People would be surprised at how effective washing your hands can be. There is no need for a flu shot, not to mention all the crap that those shots contain.

    The #1 culprit that I think most people are not aware of, is cellphones.

    I see people eating with their cellphone and licking their fingers, etc. Every now and then it wouldn't be a bad idea to spray some Lysol or other disinfectant on a cloth or paper towel and wipe you phone off with it. And always, always was your hands before eating!

    Needles suck, but the alternative is so much easier.

  7. #7
    Flu vaccine is a fairly low rate of effectiveness live-vaccine for a strain of influenze that is the one predicted to be most likely to show up this year, probably. It will probably make you mildly sick from the vaccine itself, if it doesn't you're probably not vaccinated, and there are dozens of other influenza strains in any populated area that you won't be vaccinated against which you will then get sick from if exposed.

    So, get sick for a week just so I can maybe not get sick for a week later in the year, maybe.

    Unless you're immune-compromised, under risk of constant exposure (by which I mean "work in a hospital", not "have a job or something where I see people a lot"), have impaired pleural function, are very young, or are very old, there's no purpose whatsoever to the flu vaccine unless you'd just feel better psychologically if you took it.

    So, lots of healthy adults that aren't immune-compromised and aren't health professionals have no real reason to be vaccinated. My wife vaccinated for flu twice this year (worked at 2 different hospitals so far this year, so two immunizations, woohoo!) and she's still had the flu 3 times, which is better than the 5 she probably would have gotten it, because she's constantly exposed. Her father is COPD from lung damage from the oil fires at the end of desert storm, so he's imunized to be safe. My father, vaccinated because he's a cancer survivor (benzodiazepenes, yay), still got the flu twice.

    So, basically, it's a crapshoot. Some people have a good reason to make the effort, but for a lot of people it's essentially pointless. People get the flu they were vaccinated against a lot, because the flu likes to change every time it infects someone.

    Go for it if you want to, I wouldn't advocate against doing so. But a lot of people (myself included) don't see the point because we're healthy and the vaccine is a $20 crapshoot, so we don't bother. Not getting vaccinated is a free crapshoot, so...that's preferable to some.

  8. #8
    Brewmaster Desareon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Time-Space & Space-Time
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    if you don't get them, than you are contributing to human devolution.
    LOL, please explain to me this claim of yours? If anything, the people that watch Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shores, MTV, MUCH, and any other garbage on TV are.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    I apologize since this is out of the blue and I rarely post here but do people not like flu shots or something? Every single of my friends sounded gloomy as hell and the response was the same ''I have the flu and no I didn't get a flu shot''

    Oh and a few responses was ''I hate needles end of story''
    Every time I get a Flu shot, I get the Flu. So the last 3 years or so, no shot, no flu, coincidence?

  10. #10
    The Patient Someudontno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Virginia, United States
    Posts
    236
    I know of a few people who think that shots administered by the government have these special things in it that further enslave us (obviously wrong, but I guess some think that). Yes, they're tinfoil hat people.

    Also, I've never acquired an illness because I didn't get a particular shot for it. In fact, the H1N1 shot made me miserable a couple of days after I got it.

  11. #11
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    70
    I don't get sick and have never had a flu shot.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,637
    I don't mind the pain, I mind the scars. In elementary school when the nurse came to inject the entire school I hid under the staircase!

  13. #13
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,088
    I hate needles. End of story.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    People would be surprised at how effective washing your hands can be. There is no need for a flu shot, not to mention all the crap that those shots contain.

    The #1 culprit that I think most people are not aware of, is cellphones.

    I see people eating with their cellphone and licking their fingers, etc. Every now and then it wouldn't be a bad idea to spray some Lysol or other disinfectant on a cloth or paper towel and wipe you phone off with it. And always, always was your hands before eating!

    Needles suck, but the alternative is so much easier.
    or do both. its even safer that way.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,912
    I all my shots once, never again I needed them and of course I rarely get sick.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Every time I get a Flu shot, I get the Flu. So the last 3 years or so, no shot, no flu, coincidence?
    Whenever I DON'T get the flu shot I DO get the flu. my personal exp

  17. #17
    Dunno if flu shots is something common here or even happening here in Holland at all! But i havent gotten one ever
    not that i get sick a lot

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    LOL, please explain to me this claim of yours? If anything, the people that watch Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shores, MTV, MUCH, and any other garbage on TV are.
    If you get said infection, you could have prevented it. We've advanced this far as a species to learn how to prevent/cure certain life/human threatening diseases. And in the case you get infected the disease could mutate and be very, VERY bad for the human population. It's a small chance, sure, and a lot of the stuff can be cured even if you get it, but it's better to err on the side of caution and get the damn vaccine for humanity's sake.
    -You are now breathing manually-

  19. #19
    Mechagnome Kitti Pryde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Coast - US
    Posts
    568
    The one time I got my flu shot was the one time I got the flu. :c
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

  20. #20
    High Overlord Chloral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Every time I get a Flu shot, I get the Flu. So the last 3 years or so, no shot, no flu, coincidence?
    Same here.

    10 char.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •