View Poll Results: Do you support Marijuana legalization? (if so how much)

Voters
1380. This poll is closed
  • Legalized for everyone and children with parental consent

62 4.49%
  • Everyone 18+

612 44.35%
  • Everyone 21+

466 33.77%
  • Medical use Only

109 7.90%
  • Against marijuana PERIOD.

113 8.19%
  • Don't know.

18 1.30%
Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Are you really under the impression that marijuana's presently unavailable?

They're fun, plain and simple.
    Haven't met nor heard of a single person who has used it in Sweden, ever. Even though I know it exists, it's quite rare here.

You can have "fun" in loads of other ways than drugs, the fact that you need drugs to have fun is just... Sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    I feel that it shouldn't be legalized because I don't see how bringing out more drugs will do more good than harm.
    You aren't bringing any new drugs. Pot is already extremely easy to get a hold of. Anyone who is interested in smoking it is already smoking it.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Oh, I'm quite aware. But there are pretty severe limits to doing proper research on marijuana and its adverse effects, since the parameters for defining if it interferes with work are a bit muddled. Another thing to consider is the timing; how long does it last in your system? If it does inhibit your ability to, say, perform a job, but it clears out after just 4 hours or something like that, can you really use that to argue against marijuana? I mean, if you get drunk right before work, you won't be able to function. Hell, if you stay up all night playing WoW, chances are you won't function well the next day. So even if there is a case for it causing people to "pull down society," I don't see how that argument is valid.
    Agreed. I don't see any coherent way for someone to defend the idea that marijuana pulls down society

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Although, I don't quite see college age students being a higher demographic, from personal experience.. but I was also in a professional program from freshman year so my personal perspective could very easily be skewed.
    I'm not particularly impressed by the average college student, but I'm even less impressed by the average 20-year old that's not in college.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am 100% for full legalization of cannabis, and ALL drugs for that matter. No man has the right to dictate what another man does to himself. You don't like drugs? Fine, you don't have to do them, but you have NO RIGHT to tell someone else that they can't use them.

If Joe Blo wants to go home after work and shoot up some heroin, that's his own business and no one should have the right to stop him.

I do, however, believe people should be held accountable for their actions on said drugs. If Joe wanted to go home and sit on his couch and shoot up, that's his business and right to do so, SO LONG AS HE DOESN'T HARM ANYONE ELSE IN THE PROCESS.

I believe a "crime" is not a crime unless there is a victim. If Joe isn't harming anyone else but himself, THAT IS NOT A CRIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Short answer:
    No

Long Answer:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes, Cigarettes are bad and Yes, alcohol is bad. The last thing we need is another drug legalized. It's hard to believe there are that many sad potheads and idiots that Colorado is actually going through with what they are doing. Potheads are intolerable.

So glad I am not living anywhere near that sad state. At best it's corporate greed waiting to get another stranglehold on society through "regulating" the garbage, at worst it's a bunch of idiot stoners who are just gonna further pull down society and not even have to hide it.
    Prohibition has been a flat out failure and has caused many unintended consequences such as people turning to black markets which ultimately fueled gang violence.
    Marijuana is far safer than other substances and there is almost no evidence that it does harm to someone over their mid 20s. Only long term harm we know about is that it slows down brain function/development of those under 21-26. And HEAVY not moderate but heavy smoking (MIGHT) impair breathing while moderate and subtle smoking does not impair lung capacity.

I ask you. Why do you FEEL its government responsibility to tell adults that they are NOT allowed to but substance like weed in their bodies when studies repeated studies from scientists and from the top universities have proven that it is far safer than alcohol, and that NO ONE has died from using it directly.

So far both your arguments tell us that you are just tolerarant of what others do with their free time. It's not like we are suggesting that we should be allowed to spoke while working. We are talking about legalizing so people can use on their free time.

Haven't met nor heard of a single person who has used it in Sweden, ever. Even though I know it exists, it's quite rare here.
    It's very, very common in the US already. The choices aren't really weather marijuana will be present or not, it's whether we treat users as criminals.

You can have "fun" in loads of other ways than drugs, the fact that you need drugs to have fun is just... Sad...
    Of course there's lots of ways to have fun. This is a really weird argument. Do you apply it to other recreational activities? I like playing WoW, cycling, playing basketball, and going to nice restaurants. I used to enjoy smoking weed from time to time as well; it's not, "fuck, I'll be so miserable if I don't use a drug, I need it", it's simply one of many activities than an individual may enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    I love crack.

Therefore it should totally be legal.

Then heroine, then PCP, Then just flat out poison. I should be able to use any of it because the government can make money and besides, Cigarettes and alcohol are legal so they should be.

I (believe) I have done far less damage while on crack then on alcohol, therefore justification.

In fact why have rules at all. If I like it then i'll totally dig up every half assed or obscure report about that activity being beneficial and stretch that out into undeniable proof it's good.

It's funny how stoners can be so blind to the BS they do but quickly point the finger at alcohol or waste time looking for reports done by people proving the glory of their addiction instead of doing ANYTHING even remotely productive. (<--- every pathetic stoner I know, including my brother who also believes that There should be no jail at all, that all criminals will reform themselves and he wouldn't mind living beside a murderer because he knows they will always feel sorry, gee I wonder how he came up with that philosophy?)

In fact, talking sense into drug heads dosn't seem to be productive. So instead of wasting time like a stoner will I will come to my full clean senses and move on from this zoned out, hippy infested thread.
    nice logic u have brah

you're an idiot or just trolling (please..)

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-11 at 10:12 PM.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Legalized and taxed for 18+.
    This, stop wasting tax dollars and start creating them.

One thing alot of you dont seem to know or understand which baffles me is that you think with it being legal it will become easyer to get. If you wanted weed and actually tried i bet everyone here knows someone who can get it for them or who knows some way to get it in under an hour. ALl the legalization is going to do is save money on federal and state criminal expences as they wont be wasting money on potheads or arresting them, I doubt a great deal of people are going to go OMG WEED IS LEGAL ILL TRY IT NOW. If your going to smoke after its legal your allready smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Fully support; I find it retarded to keep it illegal.

However, like alcohol, I fully support keeping it illegal to be under the influence of it and drive.

TBH idc if children do it too provided their parents are there helping them.
    I would agree that children should be allowed weed ONLY for medical use. Since studies I recently read show that children who use weed get their brain development slowed/damaged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    You aren't bringing any new drugs. Pot is already extremely easy to get a hold of. Anyone who is interested in smoking it is already smoking it.
    I'm sure. However how will legalizing it, help anyone other than make more people use drugs? How is that helpful for society as a whole? Whilst those interested in it can already get their hands on it, if we legalize it others who don't use it right now, might pick it up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    nice logic u have brah

you're an idiot or just trolling (please..)
    Lets try to keep it civil
    You cannot put our a fire by adding fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Hard to say. On one hand the current situation bears resemblance to prohibition but on the other hand marijuana bears resemblance to tobacco in the 50s. Many people think it's completely harmless and that is a complete fabrication. It's a mind altering drug and whats more it is an airborne substance. If smoked in public, or near a child it will affect them as well, so does normal tobacco but it doesn't run the risk of creating hallucinations in innocent bystanders. Not to mention the many, many people who would smoke it or be affected by nearby smokers while driving their cars or operating machinery.

Basically if it were ever to be legalized I feel people would need an extremely more strict attitude towards it, as the current lax pothead attitude that so many have of marijuana would wind up hurting a lot of innocent people, as well as lot of misinformed people.

And before people start spamming silly studies about how it doesn't affect people in any bad way just google it and find 300 other studies that contradict all your hails to pot. It's a medical fact that marijuana has mind altering qualities, is harmful to a child's brain development and the act of inhaling it is a lung irritant.
    there is some truth to this. while marijuana may be safer in many aspects, the fact that the second hand smoke can get a person high is rarely thought of.

there would have to be strict laws about smoking in public, and designated areas such as cafes, and bars would have to be amply labeled as such.

Or, maybe they're smart people who know that it's completely pointless to get high, and that it shouldn't be supported in any way?
    A large part of it comes down to a matter of human rights. We are largely led to believe that we make our own choices regarding our body and mind, and their respective treatment. This is the real reason that it should be legalized. It is a matter of principle.

Smart people know its pointless to smoke pot? Yeah well "smart" people also know that it is pointless to: drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, eat excessively, play heavy contact sports, play video games, watch meaningless television, read forums about video games, etc, etc, etc. We are not logic bound robots. It is the human experience that drives us. How we spend and enjoy time should be our own choice. Being able to choose to go out and have a couple of alcoholic drinks with friends should be regarded in the same manner as going out and smoking a bowl with friends.

Then again, there are plenty of people who support our choices being made for us. In this day and age it can be argued that many people don't have the presence of mind to make their own choices, but if that is the case; go all the way. Regulate everything that is dangerous, and "pointless." Lead people by the hand into smart life choices. This halfass hypocratic joke of a system we have now is just insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure. However how will legalizing it, help anyone other than make more people use drugs? How is that helpful for society as a whole? Whilst those interested in it can already get their hands on it, if we legalize it others who don't use it right now, might pick it up as well.
    There is little evidence to suggest that legalizing a drug increases its use. It could be argued the opposite is true; it loses a 'cool factor' if it becomes legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I imagine MMO-Champ has a fair amount of bias. I for one can only recall a handful of 'serious' WoW players who don't smoke at least once a week.

Regardless I do think it should be legalized for those 21+. Marijuana use in the US is sky-rocketing, regardless of it's legality. Every study points towards it being safe, sometimes even beneficial. Certainly 'less dangerous' than alcohol in every regard.

Prohibition failed once, I can't believe our monolith government is at it once again. To those who argue legalizing it will increase use; I don't see that as a huge concern, but in any case you have to be a hermit to have trouble getting it now if you want it.
    Last edited by Debased; 2012-11-11 at 10:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's very, very common in the US already. The choices aren't really weather marijuana will be present or not, it's whether we treat users as criminals.

Of course there's lots of ways to have fun. This is a really weird argument. Do you apply it to other recreational activities? I like playing WoW, cycling, playing basketball, and going to nice restaurants. I used to enjoy smoking weed from time to time as well; it's not, "fuck, I'll be so miserable if I don't use a drug, I need it", it's simply one of many activities than an individual may enjoy.
    And as you said, there are many good alternatives that doesn't involve doing drugs, why not pick one of those instead? I'm also well aware that the difference in usage of weed is huge if you were to compare US to Sweden, we do see a lot of movies/series from the US and it's incredibly common to see "stoneheads" or whatever you call it in those. I'm however talking about legalizing it in general, how it wouldn't really help anyone but rather could only harm society further. We have nothing to gain from bringing in more drugs.

Portugal took it to the extreme back in 2001 and it worked. http://www.businessinsider.com/portu...n-works-2012-7

Ending Cannabis prohibition could help the economy, reduce government spending on keeping non-violent "criminals" in jail, boost the job market, and create new tax revenue.

Who is the government to say that it's ok for you to go home and drink to relive stress after working, but try to smoke a joint at home after working and you are a terrible person that needs to go to jail. People that argue against it are generally misinformed or just uneducated on the topic in general. What you grew up listening to is a lie. We have seen many successful people outright state they smoke cannabis. It does not harm your drive to be a good person, it does not harm your motivation. The people that say cannabis made me lazy were going to be lazy with or without it.
    Last edited by Mangojoose; 2012-11-11 at 10:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There is little evidence to suggest that legalizing a drug increases its use. It could be argued the opposite is true; it loses a 'cool factor' if it becomes legal.
    Hence the forbidden fruit that I called on earlier...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    I imagine MMO Champ has a fair amount of bias. I for one can only recall a handful of 'serious' WoW players who don't smoke at least once a week.
    So if you support the legalization of marijuana you're a pothead? I've never smoked it, and never intend to due to things like hair test samples. But there is no logical reason for it to be illegal and plenty for it to be decriminalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    I imagine MMO Champ has a fair amount of bias. I for one can only recall a handful of 'serious' WoW players who don't smoke at least once a week.
    I don't smoke pot and never will, unless I get diagnosed with cancer.