View Poll Results: Do you support Marijuana legalization? (if so how much)

Voters
1380. You may not vote on this poll
  • Legalized for everyone and children with parental consent

62 4.49%
  • Everyone 18+

612 44.35%
  • Everyone 21+

466 33.77%
  • Medical use Only

109 7.90%
  • Against marijuana PERIOD.

113 8.19%
  • Don't know.

18 1.30%
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

21+ seems about right.
    AFK: Attack, fight, kill! Healer is bored with spamming hots.
    WTF: Way to fight! Healer loves you for pulling three trash packs.
    OOM: Out Of Mobs! Healer needs a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Koraak View Post
    Did you actually read any of those? Never have I seen such blatant scare tactics and propaganda about weed. The middle one in particular is incredibly far fetched, in the second paragraph is says that you can overdose, when it's been widely proven that it is impossible to overdose on pot. The other ones list a number of side effects that occur rarely in people who are pre-disposed to those particular symptoms and say they are common for everyone. Then there are some things that are down right lies.
    I too clicked on only the middle one, and had to close it by the third paragraph. This is like the stuff they taught you in DARE that marijuana is an incredibly dangerous drug and it will make you a felon and you'll die of lung cancer by the time you're 32.

Anyone who has put even a fraction of time into researching the substance on their own, instead of reading purely anti-drug statements, can tell you that the majority of the information in those links is slander.

Koraak, I believe I read you can "overdose" on marijuana. I say it with quotes because you're actually dying from carbon monoxide poisoning at that time. I believe it was something along the lines of 900 consecutive joints to cause an "overdose."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post
    I too clicked on only the middle one, and had to close it by the third paragraph. This is like the stuff they taught you in DARE that marijuana is an incredibly dangerous drug and it will make you a felon and you'll die of lung cancer by the time you're 32.

Anyone who has put even a fraction of time into researching the substance on their own, instead of reading purely anti-drug statements, can tell you that the majority of the information in those links is slander.

Koraak, I believe I read you can "overdose" on marijuana. I say it with quotes because you're actually dying from carbon monoxide poisoning at that time. I believe it was something along the lines of 900 consecutive joints to cause an "overdose."
    You don't need to smoke it in order to consume it. Overdose is possible, but will never fucking happen unless you are trying to overdose.

Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

I believe the ratio is 1:40000 for the amount of thc to get you high to the amount of thc that will kill you.

alcohol is 1:5 - 1:10 depending on tolerance

It's the circular arguments that make me lose my mind, nothing personal.

If I am to change my opinion on the matter though, I will need to see some proof that it will not become a social problem.
    What you're inferring here is if we legalize heroine tomorrow everyone's going to use heroine. How many people here would use heroine if it became legal?

What's Rezoaken? Google didn't help me w that word.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's no big deal. I've seen and read numerous programs and articles related to drugs and their history. Fun fact. The crusade to make cocaine illegal was based largely on the false propaganda that it caused black men to rape white women.
    same with cannabis. Well, that and cotton/wood pulp paper makers

1920s: “Makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” —H.J. Anslinger, Bureau of Narcotics
    1930: “Marihuana is responsible for the raping of white women by crazed negroes.” —Hearst Newspapers Nationwide

http://www.uccs.edu/~rmelamed/Physic...%20Racism.html
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kornath View Post
    First Bolded part: Yes I do, although I am sure some will consider me a hypocrite now. I do smoke (cigarettes) myself and have tried smoking marijuana which is something I am not too proud of. Just because someone smokes marijuana does not mean I consider them a bad person though, I do know people who smoke marijuana.

Second: It is a fine example in my opinion. It is also an addictive drug with side effects similar to marijuana, albeit not the more serious one. Alcohol too is an acceptable example to use, I am not arguing that both do not cause problems because they do. I have seen the side effects first hand which is why I am against it.

Third: I do not believe this is an insult towards me or the others who do not believe it should be legalized, but if it is then you should not join the discussion at all. No offense intended.

I am not against debating it and I am capable of changing my opinion. If I am to change my opinion on the matter though, I will need to see some proof that it will not become a social problem. Especially because I live in Denmark (a welfare state), where I think along the lines of Rezoacken.
    Actually, the British Journal of Science published findings that THC, used on lab mice, has been shown to combat certain forms of cancer. Cigarettes have no such effect. That, in and of itself, makes it a more logical choice to be removed from the Schedule 1 Narcotic list. The fact that we've seen absolutely zero positive medicinal purposes for tobacco means it should actually replace marijuana on that list. Once again, personal freedom is personal freedom. I smoked cigarettes for a decade before I quit, but I believe it's your right to continue smoking as long as you're not affecting me. You telling me that I can't smoke marijuana because of your own personal, and misguided, beliefs on its effects infringes upon my rights as a citizen of the United States. Unfortunately, most people don't have the balls to stand up for their freedom.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    same with cannabis. Well, that and cotton/wood pulp paper makers

1920s: “Makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” —H.J. Anslinger, Bureau of Narcotics
    1930: “Marihuana is responsible for the raping of white women by crazed negroes.” —Hearst Newspapers Nationwide

http://www.uccs.edu/~rmelamed/Physic...%20Racism.html
    It was the beginning of the government's crusade to tell us what's good for us, no matter how hypocritical they are being.

Convince me

I'm still deciding how i feel on marajuana legalization, but it is good to see people are voicing their individual opinions.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone on this forum would write a brief piece about your opinion. It doesn't have to be long (it can be as short as 40 words) or written formally. I will put the article on my online blog and my favorite article for the week will win $50 cash (no BS just cash straight to your doorstep). If you are interested, email your writing to yourarticleyouropinion at gmail <---- (had to write it out cuz it wudnt let me post link) and enter the subject as the name or username you want the article to be given credit to. Thanks so much.

A very good point I will admit that.

I very much doubt anyone is interested in seeing the criminal organizations reaping in more cash though. Although it is a good point, I can always rebuke with "Marijuana is an illegal drug that provides the international crime organizations with money, thus by buying it you are not only committing a crime you are helping organized crime!"

And who is to say the criminal organizations will not attempt to heavily interfere? Who will we buy the marijuana from if it gets legalized (I personally believe that it should be state controlled farms, but that is up for debate)?

Now I am all for easier punishment on those who just smoke it, should it not get legalized, as throwing them in prison is a horrible idea that I find ludicrous, economically expensive and to be a waste of the justice systems time.
    Or you can look at it logically and realize that if cocaine was legally grown and sold in the United States, the Medellin Cartel and this recent Super Cartel wouldn't exist, right? Or at least it wouldn't affect us in the same way it does now. They would lose a shit load of their money and power. Same thing with much inner city crime. Gangs that peddle heroin and cocaine wouldn't have that influx of cash either. It would likely lead to a much smaller violent crime rate. As for "state controlled farms", in all the states with legalized medicinal marijuana, the drug for dispensaries are grown on state licensed farms. The difference here is that they can't tax it since it's considered medicine. If it were legalized, they could tax it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentile911 View Post
    "A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia." (http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...acts/marijuana)
    You forgot this part.

"However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence."

Quote Originally Posted by demopolis View Post
    You forgot this part.

"However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence."
    I've found that those who are the staunchest supporters of keeping marijuana illegal usually use half-quotes and misinterpretations as well as cherry picked pieces of information to make their arguments.

Pretty sure it's been linked in this thread before, but this video does a pretty good job of explaining the dangers of marijuana and debunk the myths about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jO_ncXj7RE

It's pretty long but anyone that's interested in the subject would benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You don't need to smoke it in order to consume it. Overdose is possible, but will never fucking happen unless you are trying to overdose.
    Interesting story along those lines. A friend of mine went to a party and consumed too many brownies. He didn't know they were pot brownies and wound up in the hospital. It CAN happen, but it's extremely rare.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Pretty sure it's been linked in this thread before, but this video does a pretty good job of explaining the dangers of marijuana and debunk the myths about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jO_ncXj7RE

It's pretty long but anyone that's interested in the subject would benefit.
    Super High Me was another pretty good documentary by Doug Benson. It's obviously one-sided in its view, but still a pretty good watch.

Super High Me was another pretty good documentary by Doug Benson. It's obviously one-sided in its view, but still a pretty good watch.
    Oh definitely, even the people who are interviewed alone all have a reason to be talking to them so they're going to be in favor of legalization. For a documentary though (maybe I'm too used to trashy ones) it relies pretty heavily on already completed research and studies that they can reference, and the interviewee's merely back it up along with whatever credentials they might have (Saw a few PHD's just rewatching a bit of it there lol) At least that way, people can debunk the research instead of having a 'he says, she says' scenario discussion :P

Having studied up a bit more and watching that movie I have to admit.. I see the benefit of legalizing it and that it is not as horrible as it is made up to be.
    I still don't believe it to be this "nothing will/can happen" drug, having seen people experience the warned effects.

So if I could I would indeed change my poll choice to "yes".

Edit: If you are 18+ (21+ in USA).

Interesting story along those lines. A friend of mine went to a party and consumed too many brownies. He didn't know they were pot brownies and wound up in the hospital. It CAN happen, but it's extremely rare.
    Was it an allergic reaction to the pot?
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

I still don't believe it to be this "nothing will/can happen" drug, having seen people experience the warned effects.
    Don't let anyone convince you that it is. There are definitely risks you take when consuming any drug, denying those to get something legalized is a stupid idea but I do see a lot of people doing it. The main risks would be use during adolescence (which is why I voted 21), the use of it in combination with tobacco (i.e. a joint) can be pretty bad for your lungs, and if you or your family have a predisposition towards schizophrenia. Too much of drug education is 'itz da worst' though, which is a shame because there are people at risk who aren't being warned. If it was to be legalized I'd be in favor of some practical education (like, if you are going to consume edibles, wait about 30 minutes before increasing the 'dose')

While it is possible to create a medical emergency (erratic behavior or unconsciousness), that isn't an overdose as there is no toxic effect, much less a directly life threatening one.

Having studied up a bit more and watching that movie I have to admit.. I see the benefit of legalizing it and that it is not as horrible as it is made up to be.

So if I could I would indeed change my poll choice to "yes".

Edit: If you are 18+ (21+ in USA).
    You've gained a lot of respect by not blindly following the propaganda that we've been fed while growing up. Most of those against it in this thread keep spouting the nonsense that we saw in your earlier links. To give you an idea of how a typical pot smoker lives, not the stereotypical lives in moms basement doing nothing smoker, I'm a mechanical engineer, I have an 8 - 5 job, I have a nice apartment, I work out a few times a week, and I'm working on starting my own business, I just also happen to smoke pot every day when I'm done with important things during the day.