View Poll Results: Do you support Marijuana legalization? (if so how much)

Voters
1380. This poll is closed
  • Legalized for everyone and children with parental consent

62 4.49%
  • Everyone 18+

612 44.35%
  • Everyone 21+

466 33.77%
  • Medical use Only

109 7.90%
  • Against marijuana PERIOD.

113 8.19%
  • Don't know.

18 1.30%
Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornath View Post
    I can always rebuke with "Marijuana is an illegal drug that provides the international crime organizations with money, thus by buying it you are not only committing a crime you are helping organized crime!"
    That's a redundant argument. Drug users can either be criminals by buying drugs and immoral by helping drug cartels, or they can be law abiding citizens and not help the drug cartels. It's up to the legislators to decide which they want them to be. There will always be people who want to use drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kornath
    And who is to say the criminal organizations will not attempt to heavily interfere? Who will we buy the marijuana from if it gets legalized (I personally believe that it should be state controlled farms, but that is up for debate)?
    The drug cartels will do everything in their power to stop this from happening, but other than that, once it's legal there isn't much they can do anymore. You don't see much organized crime around liqour anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    The drug cartels will do everything in their power to stop this from happening, but other than that, once it's legal there isn't much they can do anymore. You don't see much organized crime around liqour anymore.
    I do not know the exact amount of money that they make from the various illegal drugs, but I can imagine we are talking billions. Or at least up in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I am also quite sure that marijuana is one of the biggest sources of income, seeing how popular it is.

To say that there is nothing they can do once marijuana is legal.. I find that very hard to believe. The criminals who sell drugs are some of the worst, I am quite sure they could do some nasty things to the places that sell them. Threaten employees, those that buy from those places something along those lines.

Deleted
    To say that there is nothing they can do once marijuana is legal.. I find that very hard to believe. The criminals who sell drugs are some of the worst, I am quite sure they could do some nasty things to the places that sell them. Threaten employees, those that buy from those places something along those lines.
    Well of course they can fall back to normal mafia crime, but you don't see the mafia threatening all the liqour stores or grocery stores in the US. Weed sellers would become just like a liqour store or similar.

I'm sure there will be some violence as the whole drug world adjusts to the new reality, but in five years their business model is totally finished. They won't be able to compete with legitimate farmers and dealers.

If all drugs were to be legalized, they'd totally disappear. Many of the more harmful drugs would also disappear with time as the safer variants come down in price. And each drug would also become safer as the quality is guaranteed.

Not to mention the fact that using drugs no longer forces you to interact with criminals, lowering the chance that you yourself with engage in criminal activity other than drug purchasing.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-11-27 at 02:40 PM.

I do not know the exact amount of money that they make from the various illegal drugs, but I can imagine we are talking billions. Or at least up in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I am also quite sure that marijuana is one of the biggest sources of income, seeing how popular it is.

We're looking at 18 - 39 billion every year in drug revenue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/ma...pagewanted=all

Then there are the death tolls. Over 50,000 deaths since 2006.

And the money the U.S. sends to Mexico to fight the cartels usually goes into the pockets of corrupt officials anyway. I don't have a source for that number but I think I heard it was somewhere around 7 billion a year.

I would not want weed legalized, there is a reason it is illegal and I provided information as to why.

I am not saying alcohol or cigarettes are any better, I both smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol, but weed has far more severe side effects. Sure those side effects may not affect everybody, but the risk is there none the less.

I know this will not stop people from buying and smoking it, so I would like to see some changes to the law when it comes Marijuana.
    lol really...... like what might I ask? What proven side effects does weed have that are so severe? And again, not just some BS that your mommy and daddy told you because their parents heard it from someone who heard it from someone. I'm talking scientifically proven negative side effects that are far more severe than smoking and alcohol like you claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    lol really...... like what might I ask? What proven side effects does weed have that are so severe? And again, not just some BS that your mommy and daddy told you because their parents heard it from someone who heard it from someone. I'm talking scientifically proven negative side effects that are far more severe than smoking and alcohol like you claim.
    I provided links in an earlier post.

http://www.acde.org/common/Marijana.htm

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...acts/marijuana

http://www.marijuana-addiction.net/m...de-effects.htm

http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor...juana-use.html

http://science.howstuffworks.com/marijuana4.htm

There you go.

Did you actually read any of those? Never have I seen such blatant scare tactics and propaganda about weed. The middle one in particular is incredibly far fetched, in the second paragraph is says that you can overdose, when it's been widely proven that it is impossible to overdose on pot. The other ones list a number of side effects that occur rarely in people who are pre-disposed to those particular symptoms and say they are common for everyone. Then there are some things that are down right lies.

Ok, so you linked a bunch of propaganda sites that you failed to read and none of which have links to the actual studies proving these points. I can also use google and throw up a bunch of random sites that say uneducated crap about it. But guess what I can do that you have failed to provide? I can link scientific studies that show the positive effects of pot!

Honestly, did you even bother reading a single one? The one even claims it makes you hallucinate, that it causes nausea(which it has been proven to do the opposite of) and that it even changes your reproductive organs LMAO. Yet not one of those claims are backed by a link to any scientific evidence.

Anyways, when you find me the actual science and studies behind these claims, feel free to post them. Current would also be nice since everything on there is from 1999....

10+ Year Old Account
    21+ seems about right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koraak View Post
    Did you actually read any of those? Never have I seen such blatant scare tactics and propaganda about weed. The middle one in particular is incredibly far fetched, in the second paragraph is says that you can overdose, when it's been widely proven that it is impossible to overdose on pot. The other ones list a number of side effects that occur rarely in people who are pre-disposed to those particular symptoms and say they are common for everyone. Then there are some things that are down right lies.
    I too clicked on only the middle one, and had to close it by the third paragraph. This is like the stuff they taught you in DARE that marijuana is an incredibly dangerous drug and it will make you a felon and you'll die of lung cancer by the time you're 32.

Anyone who has put even a fraction of time into researching the substance on their own, instead of reading purely anti-drug statements, can tell you that the majority of the information in those links is slander.

Koraak, I believe I read you can "overdose" on marijuana. I say it with quotes because you're actually dying from carbon monoxide poisoning at that time. I believe it was something along the lines of 900 consecutive joints to cause an "overdose."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post
    I too clicked on only the middle one, and had to close it by the third paragraph. This is like the stuff they taught you in DARE that marijuana is an incredibly dangerous drug and it will make you a felon and you'll die of lung cancer by the time you're 32.

Anyone who has put even a fraction of time into researching the substance on their own, instead of reading purely anti-drug statements, can tell you that the majority of the information in those links is slander.

Koraak, I believe I read you can "overdose" on marijuana. I say it with quotes because you're actually dying from carbon monoxide poisoning at that time. I believe it was something along the lines of 900 consecutive joints to cause an "overdose."
    You don't need to smoke it in order to consume it. Overdose is possible, but will never fucking happen unless you are trying to overdose.

I believe the ratio is 1:40000 for the amount of thc to get you high to the amount of thc that will kill you.

alcohol is 1:5 - 1:10 depending on tolerance

It's the circular arguments that make me lose my mind, nothing personal.

If I am to change my opinion on the matter though, I will need to see some proof that it will not become a social problem.
    What you're inferring here is if we legalize heroine tomorrow everyone's going to use heroine. How many people here would use heroine if it became legal?

What's Rezoaken? Google didn't help me w that word.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's no big deal. I've seen and read numerous programs and articles related to drugs and their history. Fun fact. The crusade to make cocaine illegal was based largely on the false propaganda that it caused black men to rape white women.
    same with cannabis. Well, that and cotton/wood pulp paper makers

1920s: “Makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” —H.J. Anslinger, Bureau of Narcotics
    1930: “Marihuana is responsible for the raping of white women by crazed negroes.” —Hearst Newspapers Nationwide

http://www.uccs.edu/~rmelamed/Physic...%20Racism.html
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

First Bolded part: Yes I do, although I am sure some will consider me a hypocrite now. I do smoke (cigarettes) myself and have tried smoking marijuana which is something I am not too proud of. Just because someone smokes marijuana does not mean I consider them a bad person though, I do know people who smoke marijuana.

Second: It is a fine example in my opinion. It is also an addictive drug with side effects similar to marijuana, albeit not the more serious one. Alcohol too is an acceptable example to use, I am not arguing that both do not cause problems because they do. I have seen the side effects first hand which is why I am against it.

Third: I do not believe this is an insult towards me or the others who do not believe it should be legalized, but if it is then you should not join the discussion at all. No offense intended.

I am not against debating it and I am capable of changing my opinion. If I am to change my opinion on the matter though, I will need to see some proof that it will not become a social problem. Especially because I live in Denmark (a welfare state), where I think along the lines of Rezoacken.
    Actually, the British Journal of Science published findings that THC, used on lab mice, has been shown to combat certain forms of cancer. Cigarettes have no such effect. That, in and of itself, makes it a more logical choice to be removed from the Schedule 1 Narcotic list. The fact that we've seen absolutely zero positive medicinal purposes for tobacco means it should actually replace marijuana on that list. Once again, personal freedom is personal freedom. I smoked cigarettes for a decade before I quit, but I believe it's your right to continue smoking as long as you're not affecting me. You telling me that I can't smoke marijuana because of your own personal, and misguided, beliefs on its effects infringes upon my rights as a citizen of the United States. Unfortunately, most people don't have the balls to stand up for their freedom.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    same with cannabis. Well, that and cotton/wood pulp paper makers

1920s: “Makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” —H.J. Anslinger, Bureau of Narcotics
    1930: “Marihuana is responsible for the raping of white women by crazed negroes.” —Hearst Newspapers Nationwide

http://www.uccs.edu/~rmelamed/Physic...%20Racism.html
    It was the beginning of the government's crusade to tell us what's good for us, no matter how hypocritical they are being.

Convince me

I'm still deciding how i feel on marajuana legalization, but it is good to see people are voicing their individual opinions.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone on this forum would write a brief piece about your opinion. It doesn't have to be long (it can be as short as 40 words) or written formally. I will put the article on my online blog and my favorite article for the week will win $50 cash (no BS just cash straight to your doorstep). If you are interested, email your writing to yourarticleyouropinion at gmail <---- (had to write it out cuz it wudnt let me post link) and enter the subject as the name or username you want the article to be given credit to. Thanks so much.

A very good point I will admit that.

I very much doubt anyone is interested in seeing the criminal organizations reaping in more cash though. Although it is a good point, I can always rebuke with "Marijuana is an illegal drug that provides the international crime organizations with money, thus by buying it you are not only committing a crime you are helping organized crime!"

And who is to say the criminal organizations will not attempt to heavily interfere? Who will we buy the marijuana from if it gets legalized (I personally believe that it should be state controlled farms, but that is up for debate)?

Now I am all for easier punishment on those who just smoke it, should it not get legalized, as throwing them in prison is a horrible idea that I find ludicrous, economically expensive and to be a waste of the justice systems time.
    Or you can look at it logically and realize that if cocaine was legally grown and sold in the United States, the Medellin Cartel and this recent Super Cartel wouldn't exist, right? Or at least it wouldn't affect us in the same way it does now. They would lose a shit load of their money and power. Same thing with much inner city crime. Gangs that peddle heroin and cocaine wouldn't have that influx of cash either. It would likely lead to a much smaller violent crime rate. As for "state controlled farms", in all the states with legalized medicinal marijuana, the drug for dispensaries are grown on state licensed farms. The difference here is that they can't tax it since it's considered medicine. If it were legalized, they could tax it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentile911 View Post
    "A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia." (http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...acts/marijuana)
    You forgot this part.

"However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence."

Quote Originally Posted by demopolis View Post
    You forgot this part.

"However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence."
    I've found that those who are the staunchest supporters of keeping marijuana illegal usually use half-quotes and misinterpretations as well as cherry picked pieces of information to make their arguments.