Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    I believe that no matter how hard they are stuck in religion there's still a way to sway them out of it. Although it may take a lot of effort, from both parties involved
    I don't believe this. I tried to debate my parents out of their religion for a long time before I realized how unhealthy it was for me to try. I do believe people can change their views (I used to be a Christian), but religion is a deeply personal thing. Trying to sway them from their beliefs just triggers a defense mechanism. Some people simply have too much of themselves invested in things to ever be pulled away from them.

Deleted
    If she really is an intelligent person all she has to do to lose her faith is to actually read the bible. No intelligent person can read the bible and still believe in it.

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-11-11 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bro please please please believe me when I tell you that you need to peruse her aggressively !! Yes she is a christian woman but she is still a woman . Show her that you like her ..show her you want to be more then friends ...if she is not interested ...sadly she never will be and move onto whatever you can . I get that it sucks but that is reality !

This isnt like it was 100 or heck even 50 years ago .. you cannot take your time with woman you get into the friend zone . Any woman who is worth anything has like 5 guys talking with her ...you have to assume you are always competing you have to assert yourself .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    If she really is an intelligent person all she has to do to lose her faith is to actually read the bible. No intelligent person can read the bible and still believe in it.
    False. My father has a 150 IQ and I have no doubt that he will never lose his faith. Some people connect to their religions on a much deeper level than their intellect. As I said in the post above you, some people's entire lives are invested in their religions. Lots of very smart people believe in goofy things.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-11 at 09:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    some of the most intelligent people in history where Christians or believed in GOD...btw Issac Newton probebly one of the most intelligent people in human history was a HARDCORE christian ...but you know ..only stupid people are christians .

Quote Originally Posted by Town Drunk View Post
    some of the most intelligent people in history where Christians or believed in GOD...btw Issac Newton probebly one of the most intelligent people in human history was a HARDCORE christian ...but you know ..only stupid people are christians .
    Do you realize how hard it is to take the Town Drunk seriously?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    False. My father has a 150 IQ and I have no doubt that he will never lose his faith. Some people connect to their religions on a much deeper level than their intellects. As I said in the post above you, some people's entire lives are invested in their religions. Lots of very smart people believe in lots of very goofy things.
    Well there's more to intelligence than just IQ. You say some people connect to their religions on a much deeper level than their intellects? Is that another way of saying in religion, intellect doesn't really matter? If a smart person believes in goofy things he's at least in some regard an idiot. Somebody can be good at math but if he believes in the tooth fairy, he's stupid.

What religion does your father belong to? Christianity? How can a smart person believe in a talking snake?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    have very high morals and principles (similar to Christian values).

Implying morals have anything to do with religion and that those without don't?

Anyhow, just ask her if she wants to go to church together. Or if you could take her out for lunch or dinner some time. There'd be no short supply of things to talk about if you have religion in common.

False. My father has a 150 IQ and I have no doubt that he will never lose his faith. Some people connect to their religions on a much deeper level than their intellect. As I said in the post above you, some people's entire lives are invested in their religions. Lots of very smart people believe in goofy things.
    IQ has nothing to do with overall intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Do you realize how hard it is to take the Town Drunk seriously?!
    whats a seegtease ? and how do I take it seriously ?

whats a seegtease ? and how do I take it seriously ?
    It was a joke, man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's more to intelligence than just IQ. You say some people connect to their religions on a much deeper level than their intellects? Is that another way of saying in religion, intellect doesn't really matter? If a smart person believes in goofy things he's at least in some regard an idiot. Somebody can be good at math but if he believes in the tooth fairy, he's stupid.
    That's actually exactly what I'm saying: religion is not dependent on intellect. While I agree there are multiple forms of intelligence, your definition of stupid is your own.
    What religion does your father belong to? Christianity? How can a smart person believe in a talking snake?
    Yes, and fuck if I know. There are stranger things in the Bible than talking snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    IQ has nothing to do with overall intelligence.
    If that claim is acceptable, then we can also say belief in any kind of religion has nothing to do with overall intelligence.

Well, since you might never see her again after the semester ends, I'd say just ask her if she wanted to hangout or go out together, somewhere. I don't know where, but if she's a Christian, then she shouldn't be too picky as long as it's not like a bar or something.

You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain if it works out well. YOLO.

This isn't a topic about the morals of religion, the intelligence of religious people, and whether or not one can be swayed from it.

And you could try just asking her to dinner? You may both be dedicated Christians, but you're still human beings. I'm sure there'd be nothing wrong with something simple.

Deleted
    You should support such strong statements with facts.

You know, even Darwin was a bit religious. Why? Because that's what you were taught and you weren't allowed a choice in the matter.
    That said, you can still be a genious and an idiot at the same time. Many murderers and tyrants have been and are very intelligent. So we just need to stop linking faith or the lack thereof, to intelligence or the lack thereof.

It's a bit like me and my sister. We are completely different in political views, so when it comes to politics I think she's an idiot. But she's still my sister, and a very intelligent person.

I don't believe this. I tried to debate my parents out of their religion for a long time before I realized how unhealthy it was for me to try. I do believe people can change their views (I used to be a Christian), but religion is a deeply personal thing. Trying to sway them from their beliefs just triggers a defense mechanism. Some people simply have too much of themselves invested in things to ever be pulled away from them.
    being an "evangelical" atheist is no better than somebody being an evangelical christian. you aren't triggering a "defense mechanism" in anybody, you are merely triggering the exact same irritance button that you feel when jehovah's witnesses show up at your door to spread their beliefs. *nobody* likes a conversion cathy. why do you think you are less annoying than they?

OP, a girl is a girl is a girl. doesn't matter what god she follows. maybe bring her some coffee to a few of your classes, its a small sign to show that you are into her, check out from her reactions if she feels something back. if she does you can proceed from there, ask her out. good luck.

If that claim is acceptable, then we can also say belief in any kind of religion has nothing to do with overall intelligence.
    Overall intelligence is a high "score" in number of intelligences and IQ tests measure only one or two of them.
    To me at least, believing in religion means a damaged "reality filter". There were (and still are) a lot of very smart people with a damaged reality filter.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    This isn't a topic about the morals of religion, the intelligence of religious people, and whether or not one can be swayed from it.
    It's unavoidable. If the words Bible, God, Christian or any similar word are used on this board, the angry, angsty atheists appear and antagonize.

Deleted
    That's actually exactly what I'm saying: religion is not dependent on intellect. .
    I'd totally subscribe to that.