Page 12 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Missfires should be pretty rare, certainly not enough that you can cause carnage with them. If several "missfires" are landing in the same target area I call that highly suspicious.
    It was one, as far as I know (from what I remember when serving in Cast Lead).

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    It was one, as far as I know (from what I remember when serving in Cast Lead).
    does the term "misfire" cover bad intel as to targets? like a spotter getting wrong location, etc?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    im assuming there are some telltale indicators from your response. it looks very much like fireworks (from smoke and flame appearance), and i believe phosphorous is used in fireworks? is this look what tells us what it is? serious question
    White phosphor is indeed used in fireworks, it looks like a firework shooting out sparks, it is also a very nasty thing they use in some military explosives that burn into flesh and cause serious pain and damage.

WP can be used to generate smoke, these are generally harmless. On the other hand it can be weaponised and use to create wounds like this.....

WARNING! Gruesome video, do not watch if at work or you are squeamish! You have been warned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...sphorus-victim

Essentially the wound takes forever to heal and causes much more suffering than conventional explosives. It is technically not illegal to use it in warfare, but it is a pretty grey area, most countries would hesitate to use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Actually it's the other way around.

People like to paint the Arabs as the only baddies.
    That really depends on which part of the West you live in and which political circles you run in. In my experience, when people talk about Israeli use of WP is almost universally a way of showing what heartless monsters they are. But, both sides use it. As do the US and the UK, though generally not as a direct munition.

And, in the end, does it really make a difference what the Israelis are bombing people with? I'm sure the people killed with Israeli WP munitions would be every bit as dead from HE.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    misfire? setting women and children on fire ah its ok it was a misfire.. anywhere else in the world there would be outrage but its ok in gazza? does it really matter whether it was a misfire? isnt there a repsonsibilty on the side with over whelming fire power to at least try and moderate their actions?

White phosphor is indeed used in fireworks, it looks like a firework shooting out sparks, it is also a very nasty thing they use in some military explosives that burn into flesh and cause serious pain and damage.
    so basically all these times i see movie explosions and see the fireworks appearance and say "lol fake explosion", you guys see something different? that sucks. as i understand it, napalm had similar burn effects, possibly worse, as it stuck to people and continued burning, like hot grease (btw, if you get burning grease on you DONT attempt to wipe it off). is napalm on the "banned" list?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    That really depends on which part of the West you live in and which political circles you run in. In my experience, when people talk about Israeli use of WP is almost universally a way of showing what heartless monsters they are. But, both sides use it. As do the US and the UK, though generally not as a direct munition.

And, in the end, does it really make a difference what the Israelis are bombing people with? I'm sure the people killed with Israeli WP munitions would be every bit as dead from HE.
    Thats a bad attitude to have, if you are going to kill people in war then it is generally considered better to do it as quickly and as painlessly as possible. This is the reason why chemical agents and gas attacks are now illegal. A WP will burn and cause a very slow death, a HE round will kill or maim much faster with a lot less pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    its barely worth even debating this as people are so entrenched. from my point of view as a parent, i cant imagine the horror of trying to raise children in gazza or the occupied territories. web forums full of arm chair warriors that cant tell the difference between games and reality meanwhile children every day are being brutalised. but the israelies have succeeded in portraying a people as sub human, lesser beings that deserve whats done to them, ironic really. all i see are terrified children living a nightmare every day.

http://youtu.be/d6G1rIiL7hM
    Accuses people of entrenchment; uses double standards; posts exploitative videos. Man, you're a piece of work. Both sides of this are guilty of absolutely inhuman behavior towards their enemies and innocents all around suffer for it.

Miss-fires caused by carelessness on both sides should be treated as manslaughter (At the very lest).

Personally I consider it murder, but I know most people would not go for that...

Deleted
    so basically all these times i see movie explosions and see the fireworks appearance and say "lol fake explosion", you guys see something different? that sucks. as i understand it, napalm had similar burn effects, possibly worse, as it stuck to people and continued burning, like hot grease (btw, if you get burning grease on you DONT attempt to wipe it off). is napalm on the "banned" list?
    Napalm is in the same category as WP, it is legal to use against military targets but most countries would hesitate to use it nowadays. We have much more effective weapons that can do a better job of it and "cleaner" too. Setting fire to people to kill them is a really bad way to quickly kill someone, if they happen to survive but are wounded you are looking at a long and very painful recovery process. Anyone that has ever had a bad burn knows how agonizing they can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything that's purpose is to burn people to death is against international law, so yes incendiaries are included, so far as I know.

In fact, I remember it was an issue when the US was using the "bunker buster" missiles, because when they got into the bunkers, they didn't just kill with an explosion, but rather created a ball of fire that burned people alive, which was technically illegal.

I've never worked with weapon explosives before, but I've worked pretty extensively with Pentolite high explosive, and the explosions are pretty much nothing like you see in movies and on TV. They're practically over before you even notice they're so fast.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    That's just plain gibberish and makes no sense whatsoever. None at all.
    While I can disagree with Sturmbringe on a myriad of views, he IS factually correct... and you Sir, are factually INCORRECT.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I know what side I'm on and it aint Israels.
    says your from denmark
    you're on neither side

this isn't a baseball game. you don't pick your team. you're either in it or you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Anything that's purpose is to burn people to death is against international law, so yes incendiaries are included, so far as I know.

In fact, I remember it was an issue when the US was using the "bunker buster" missiles, because when they got into the bunkers, they didn't just kill with an explosion, but rather created a ball of fire that burned people alive, which was technically illegal.

I've never worked with weapon explosives before, but I've worked pretty extensively with Pentolite high explosive, and the explosions are pretty much nothing like you see in movies and on TV. They're practically over before you even notice they're so fast.
    Incendiary weapons aren’t illegal for military targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    says your from denmark
    you're on neither side

this isn't a baseball game. you don't pick your team. you're either in it or you're not.
    You can choose to show support for one group over another.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Incendiary weapons aren’t illegal for military targets.
    Oh really? Huh, I guess I'm misinformed.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    While I can disagree with Sturmbringe on a myriad of views, he IS factually correct... and you Sir, are factually INCORRECT.
    Factual statements can still result in an argument which is gibberish. Comparing ownership of land hundreds of years past, to ownership of the present day is pretty bad.

The Jews owned 7% of the land when this mess went down. They wanted more then their fair share.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Yet more hyperbole and myth wrapped up in lies. I'm a Scottish white male btw raised as a Christian not a Muslim I've just made the effort to educate myself. Carry on though, most educated western people now see through your lies and see the biggest threat to world peace is a rogue apartheid nuclear armed state like Israel. How about Israel submits to nuclear inspections or is that only for other countries?
    I have a suggestion, everyone leave Israel alone and stop launching rockets into their schools and homes and actually start complying with the Peace Accords that you demand Israel abide by... because we all know that peace accords work best when only one side complies and not both... but wait... that would mean that the countries in the region would have to live up to their word.

Actually, I AM in support of letting y'all inspect Israeli nukes and their potential for devastation, up close and personal...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats a bad attitude to have, if you are going to kill people in war then it is generally considered better to do it as quickly and as painlessly as possible. This is the reason why chemical agents and gas attacks are now illegal. A WP will burn and cause a very slow death, a HE round will kill or maim much faster with a lot less pain.
    I'm not a soldier, so my callousness may be cavalier, but I really just think it's a question of efficiency. White phosphors is really just not a very good way to kill people in general. But, if the choice is leveling half a city block with HE to get at concealed enemy fighters or shooting some WP rockets into their hidey holes, might as well go with the WP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Pretty fucking stupid of Hamas to continue with the rocket attacks though. It's like firing a .22 at Godzilla, and Godzilla has already proven willing to drop 3,000 tons of bombs on your neighborhood.
    This made me laugh really hard. It's a terrible thing to laugh at but it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I'm not a soldier, so my callousness may be cavalier, but I really just think it's a question of efficiency. White phosphors is really just not a very good way to kill people in general. But, if the choice is leveling half a city block with HE to get at concealed enemy fighters or shooting some WP rockets into their hidey holes, might as well go with the WP.
    Why not shoot HE into their hidey holes? WP will burn down the town and spread damage, HE won't (hopefully).