Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question GW2 still worth getting?

I've been thinking of getting GW2 - none of my RL friends have picked up yet so I can't do the RaF trial.

Now that the hype machine has calmed down, is its still a great game? I'm looking for fun pvp. Still playing panda land for pve but wow pvp is at a new low.

Thanks in advance.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking for fun PVP, GW2 probably isn't your game. The WvWvW stuff is still kinda clunky; the queues on my shard (world? realm?) are long, and it isn't that fun once you DO get in there.

Basically, if you played GW1 and are expecting a repeat performance, you'll be disappointed.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you want a really nice leveling game, a big world to explore, fun little things to do... than I would recommend it immediately.

But since you ask for pvp, I have my doubts.

GW2 pvp has the big World versus world thing, wich is big groups of players against smaller groups, or against walls and doors... It's messy and big. It can be a lot of fun, but it can also be incredibly uneven and a simple zergfest.
    It's pvp like AV in WoW is pvp, only a LOT bigger, and thus more zergy... It can be more like real pvp if you go of in smaller groups, but for that you better be tuned up and 80.

The other form of pvp, the 'normal' pvp in GW2, is about 1 thing only: Conquest.
    It's a map like AB in WoW where you have 3 nodes instead of 5. These are called capture points.
    There is NOTHING else than this form of pvp.
    There are several maps, so basically it's like having different versions of The battle For Gilneas in WoW. Same fight, different looks to it in each map.
    Each map also has their own little pve elements: a boss, a neutral npc to kill, sharks in the water at one point...

The entry form of this pvp is a pugging system where you enter with 8 vs 8 in that map with 3 points.
    This is too many players in that small battle!
    It means you can forget about defending a point, since you'll be zerged to death in seconds if you try.
    People do one thing in there: they run around in as big a group as they can, and go from point to point to capture and abandon. Along the way they try to kill every player they can outnumber.
    The zergs of both teams mostly avoid each other because real even fights are a waste of time...
    AB mindless zergfest at it's worst, indeed.

This is a very negative image of this 8v8 spvp, but I can't put it better or more positive, sorry.

Than you have the team version, where you play a tournament.
    If you win first map, you go to the next. Till one team wins the final.
    This is 5v5 which is the perfect number for these maps.
    If you join alone, you are teamed with others in a pug.

And here comes the catch: as a pug you are fighting... premades!
    Forget about winning a tournament as pug. Not going to happen, unless extremely EXTREMELY lucky in the teams you face.
    Get a team, or get stomped... basic rule.

There is no pug vs pug system with 5v5, only the mentioned 8v8 random mess.

There are also paid tournaments where only premades fight.
    But these teams only use their entry tickets if they have everything set up perfect. So half the time they join the normal tournaments and... stomp pugs.

Balance between 'classes' (called professions in GW2) isn't perfect,
    and some builts are superior for this conquest mode compared to others.
    But even if the balance was perfect, the system would still have the flaws I listed.

Important: the 8v8 zergfest can be fun!
    It really can be.
    But don't expect more than a zergfest.
    There is no strategy involved, and you get more points if you ignore strategy for that matter.
    But it can be fun. Just like a zergfest AB can be, or any other mindless bg for that matter.

So if you come from WoW: you'll have no different types of bg's at all. Always the same.
    You'll have pug vs premade at it's worst in the tournaments. And you'll have the lowest kind of random bg's zerging as only option aside that.

I'm very negative, and very disapointed in it all.
    So please listen to other opinions as well.
    Last edited by Kimbald; 2012-11-11 at 12:47 PM.

Deleted
    Personally I would not recommend it if you are looking purely for PvP. It has some great PvE content, a great levelling and exploration process and some fun opportunities like mini dungeons and jumping puzzles... the PvP however isn't as fun as other games for me, so I couldn't recommend it personally. If a friend asked me to recommend them a game purely for PvP - GW2 would not be it.

If you are someone who likes PvE content with a bit of casual/fun PvP on the side then I'd definitely recommend it. Perhaps others who are more PvP focused can comment, I don't want to start throwing game comparisons out there because it always ends badly, but I would not rate GW2 in my top 3 MMOs for PvP.

The one massively shining factor is of course the fact that you can PvP from level 2 in GW2, meaning if you purely want to jump into PvP and you hate PvE, you do not have to do the PvE content to hit endgame to get to the good PvP which you have to do in a lot of other MMOs.

Best case scenario though would be if you throw a post in this thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Refer-a-Friend and someone with a spare referral refers you, you can easily get to level 2 and spend 3 days testing the PvP for yourself.

Also; they have said there are a lot of plans for PvP in the future, it's still very early in game development, just 3 months in, with no subscription required you could easily play for a month or two, take a break, and come back when changes are made without any penalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelleous View Post
    I've been thinking of getting GW2 - none of my RL friends have picked up yet so I can't do the RaF trial.

Now that the hype machine has calmed down, is its still a great game? I'm looking for fun pvp. Still playing panda land for pve but wow pvp is at a new low.

Thanks in advance.
    the best PvP in MMOs today, even better than GW1 and that is because, imo, trinity based PvP needs to die in a fire! trinity systems are so lob-sided and heavily forced dependency based. trinity based PvP games offer little room to maneuver as the team without a healer will lose holding all other things equal. GW2 PvP offers relatively balanced and varied professions (they still need to work on some balancing to make some match-ups less of a foregone conclusion), gear normalization for sPvP (everyone's gear is of equal power), 2 forms of PvP; Structured PvP (Hot-Join, tPvP and ptPvP) and World vs World vs World (WvW), a bolstering system for WvW where you are auto-leveled to 80 and can level through WvW and gain level appropriate loot as you do so (though against a true 80 you would be at a gear/trait disadvantage).

the game for me is highly enjoyable and it provides the perfect medium for me to get those clutch moments in that create the memories you will tell people about when you wax poetic about your PvP experience in GW2. it's only $60 and with the RaF coming up it seems like a steal imo.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    the best PvP in MMOs today, even better than GW1 and that is because, imo, trinity based PvP needs to die in a fire! trinity systems are so lob-sided and heavily forced dependency based. trinity based PvP games offer little room to maneuver as the team without a healer will lose holding all other things equal. GW2 PvP offers relatively balanced and varied professions (they still need to work on some balancing to make some match-ups less of a foregone conclusion), gear normalization for sPvP (everyone's gear is of equal power), 2 forms of PvP; Structured PvP (Hot-Join, tPvP and ptPvP) and World vs World vs World (WvW), a bolstering system for WvW where you are auto-leveled to 80 and can level through WvW and gain level appropriate loot as you do so (though against a true 80 you would be at a gear/trait disadvantage).

the game for me is highly enjoyable and it provides the perfect medium for me to get those clutch moments in that create the memories you will tell people about when you wax poetic about your PvP experience in GW2. it's only $60 and with the RaF coming up it seems like a steal imo.
    I can aprreciate anyone's opinion, but dam this reads like a sales pitch!
    You are for real, I take it?

There isn't a real pvp trinity, tanks don't funcion well unless they also do great dps. So in pvp your trinity is a 'duality' of dps and healers.

In GW2 that duality is still there. Bunkers tend to replace healers, it's a new kind of role division. They din't remove the trinity you mention, they replaced it.

Still a nice read, that post of yours. Made me smile for some reason.
    You should get paid for it.

(Im' exagerating on the sneers at your post. of course it's great you enjoy it, and you're entitled to your opinion. Just having a go at the way it is written.)

Deleted
    Perhaps you can find someone here on the forum to invite you to the trial that would be the best I think for you to have a look for yourself, personally I think it's the best MMO none comes close to being as satisfying to me, I love to have a world made to explore, a waterfall can hide a cave, a tree might be a jumping puzzle, other places you have secret puzzles wich is basically hidden jumping puzzles you might find just about anywhere if you look closely enough it can be in a sewer, under water or in a large tree sometimes it has a labyrinth sometimes a champion mob in your path the journey is the reward even if they have a chest and an achivement in the end.

If you like transmogging as a WoW player there is a good chance you'll love doing the same in GW2 there are quite alot of nice gear sets to put together from dungeons, heartvendors or crafting and the dye system is fantastic if anything negative is to be said about it it's that there are almost too many dyes but once you have learned a color you can then apply it to any gear (not weapons) as many times you like.

PvP in WvW can sometimes be very uneven as already stated and it is a zergfest there's also a good chance for major lag in them unless you have a top notch computer and fast internet, but you don't have to join it if you don't want to I hate zergs myself so I always try to join a smaller team of say 5 or similar to steal reinforcements etc. but the best way to earn the marks for gear is probably by joining a zerg.

The dungeons can be a little hectic and they are quite stressful and unorganized if you pug them due to not having proper tanks/healers I like them but not all do, I think many of the poeple that don't often have very typical glass cannon builds that have a rough time surviving and it's not uncommon for people to expect guardians or warriors to be able to tank for you like tanks in other games, you need to find a good mix of dmg and survivability then you'll like them more, being able to rejoin the fight from a waypoint after dying is terrible though I would personally rather fail to kill a boss than do that to be honest I hope that is changed.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-11-11 at 03:50 PM.

The game bored me to tears to be honest. I might have even lasted longer in SWTOR before the boredom set in, and that was a snorefest as well.

Deleted
    It's a good game to play for a month or two, after that it get's very boring imo. You shouldn't hurry to level 80 because there isn't really anything 'new' to do at 80 that you couldn't do at level 10, apart from bigger events. Structured PvP is pretty fun the first couple of times you play it, but after a while it too get's boring with no real sense of 'progression' as you're probably used to from other mmo's. Regarding WvW, again, it's very amusing the first couple of times, after that it gets pretty old. It's hilarious to do the the jumping puzzles with friends, especially the WvW ones, but sadly there are not an infinite number of those.

I would say it's worth getting, and you will probably get around 100 hours of fun from it, but after that there isn't really much to do.

I think you all sold me on trying, $60 isn't all that much in the worst case. I hate questing and leveling mostly, but casual pvp at level 2 is exactly what I am looking for. I work ungodly hours and the leveling/gearing grind just isn't for me anymore. MOP is a good game but honestly there is too much too do. I cant stomach dailies and LFR gets boring so fast. Wow is seeming to care less and less about pvp and while bgs used to provide some mild entertainment the direction they are going is horrible.

I usually pick up things fast and can play competently quickly (no expert, but better than average) and Want to have some fun competitive pvp,, I'm ok with hitting Zerg fests occasionally, I can alway break off.

Thanks for all the replies.

Is there world pvp at all?
    Last edited by Maelleous; 2012-11-11 at 05:05 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think you all sold me on trying, $60 isn't all that much in the worst case. I hate questing and leveling mostly, but casual pvp at level 2 is exactly what I am looking for. I work ungodly hours and the leveling/gearing grind just isn't for me anymore. MOP is a good game but honestly there is too much too do. I cant stomach dailies and LFR gets boring so fast. Wow is seeming to care less and less about pvp and while bgs used to provide some mild entertainment the direction they are going is horrible.

I usually pick up things fast and can play competently quickly (no expert, but better than average) and Want to have some fun competitive pvp,, I'm ok with hitting Zerg fests occasionally, I can alway break off.

Thanks for all the replies.

Is there world pvp at all?
    No world pvp, you all get along in pve... no factions or such.

It sounds like you'll get more than your money's worth out of the pvp of the game.

One of the great things about the 'pvp at lvl2' is that you can just make a new character and try another profession. That alone offers some diversity of course.

Pvp in GW2 disapointed me, think my post didn't leave anything unclear about that.
    But that doesn't mean I don't think it's not worth the price of buying the game.
    It will provide you with enough entertainment for a while. And certainly if you play at od hours, the easy acces to pvp in GW2 is a very big plus.

Have fun, and you may just as well love it a lot more than I did

There isn't normal wpvp like in WoW, but there is WvW, which can fill the niche of large scale pvp. It may be a bit zergy, but if you find a realm with good commanders that know what they are doing and can control that zerg, and find a smaller strike team to be a part of, it can get pretty interesting. And sometimes a plain old zerg can have its place too in fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there is no world pvp as there are no factions. But there is server against server pvp aka WvW.

Now, this is no tiny little AV map, this thing is a Beast. The matches are one week long, 3 worlds go against each other, there are castles, garrisions, keeps, supply depots, towers, hidden passageways, caves and 4 jump puzzles with badges & rewards to benefit your team and traps you can set off on other players . Up to 2000 players from each server, there's generally a queue it is that popular.

There are large organized guilds on each server and most servers use a serverwide teamspeak to coordinate strategies. It's not all zerg though. With all the choke points throughout the maps a tiny little task force can tear things up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2teQTIs64&hd=1

It is a pure adrenaline rush, so much fun

Oh, here is a good guide that Larynx and Iryne put together.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Discussion
    Valar morghulis

Deleted

Thanks in advance.
    Well I have limited gametime as well and I am a pvper and I would say buy it. If you are not impatient for updates and just play for an hour of fun every now and then it's worth the money. I play tournaments with my friends when I do have little extra time, or I hotjoin casual pvp or join a pug tournament. Have spent a little time in wvwvw and I liked it as well. Dont know how queues are these days but the weeks after launch it was like 2h queue to get in and I rarely have so much time to wait. Spvp is good in that way, just join and play for a little and then leave. Add to that cute asuras and no subfee =)
    The game has some flaws though in pvp, many bugs and imbalances and while Im one of those who can wait not all people are. There's an incoming patch november 15th that people have high hopes for... we will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    The game bored me to tears to be honest. I might have even lasted longer in SWTOR before the boredom set in, and that was a snorefest as well.
    This isn't helpful at all. You didn't offer any insight as to why.

OP, find someone with a free trial invitation, and see for yourself if you'd like it. I really enjoy it. The PvP is not horrible by any means. It's not perfect, but, it's far from bad. There are a lot of things they got right, and things they really need to improve upon. The big plus in my opinion is the fact that everyone is leveled up to 80 upon entering any PvP areas. In the random PvP "battlegrounds", everyone starts with the same gear and level, gear doesn't determine skill, like in other MMO's. However, some classes are more OP then others, and that is something I do not think will ever completely be remedied in any MMO. There aren't any massively long fights due to one side having more healers, for example. Everyone is responsible for their own healing (unless you or teammates have AoE heals and other group boons (buffs) set in your utility slots).

WvW is a bit a zerg-fest, however, it can still be fun. A lot of fun, depending on what side you're on. There are also neat jumping puzzles and other goodies in WvW areas. The jumping puzzles can be fun yet frustrating, as some people will let you go on your merry way, while others will treat it as a true battlefield, and start fights. WvW takes a little time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun. It's even better if you find a guild that participates in WvW, so you can always be grouped with guildmates.

There are also PvP tournaments which I have not participated in, so I can't really comment there.

The PvE is a lot of fun. This is coming from someone who played WoW for several years and raided all those years. You aren't going to find that "end-game" like in WoW (NOT trying to start a game-vs-game debate, just using it as an example), but, it has and "end-game" of its own. Dungeons, events, Orr, map completion, other achievements, legendaries, whatever you strive for, really. Also, who knows what the future brings?

TLDR version.....sorry I rambled a bit, but basically, get a free trial from someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    The jumping puzzles can be fun yet frustrating, as some people will let you go on your merry way, while others will treat it as a true battlefield, and start fights.
    It seemed to be a friendlier place until legendary precursors started dropping in there, now it's affectionately referred to as the Murderpit (ala LilSaihah)

Mwaahhahaha
    Valar morghulis

For 60$ Guild Wars 2 packs a lot of fun content. I don't PVP personally but at the least the Guild Wars franchise as a whole [5 games in total] has always had equalized, skill based PVP. Which is so rare among MMOs as to be unique.

If you do care about actual, honest PVP there is only 1 modern MMO offering that currently to the best of my knowledge; Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    It seemed to be a friendlier place until legendary precursors started dropping in there, now it's affectionately referred to as the Murderpit (ala LilSaihah)

Mwaahhahaha
    That's for sure! Had a Guardian knock me off a platform, little did he know, my guildies were already up top waiting for me. He was met with a swift death. >

Definitely worth it. One of the best value purchases I have made for games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free trial is out, see if you can blag a go quick, because if you like it its a fantastic $60 investment, if like me you dont, well its $60 I could have spent on more interesting pursuits.