1. #1

    Blood DK stat questions

    Hello

    So i'm new to tanking and also new to DK. I'm lvl 90 now and gearing up for raids. But i'm not sure what i stats i should get up.

    I armory'd a few Blood DKs from WoL and saw what they were stacking, it just looked like reforge everything to mastery and parry. But i am wondering how much i should be getting it up. Also what about dodge etc?

    For gems i'm using mastery for yellow slow. Mast/stam for blue and mast/parry for red.

    Also should i be getting up my hit or exp?


    So i am just wondering what my stats should be at.


    Also. What is the best tanking food at the moment?

  2. #2
    It depends on what you intend to do.
    If you are going to tank 10m I recommend getting mastery to a level where you can comfortably survive the damage dealt to you and then focus on getting hit to 7.5%, then exp to 7.5%.
    So you'll be looking for items with mastery+x. Personally I even prefer haste/mastery over something like parry/dodge.
    Gems would be either the ones you picked or hit/exp instead of stam/parry.


    I can't give you any advice on 25m raiding since I don't raid 25m. (But my guess would be instead of going for hit/exp you need to focus on stamina/mastery ... and even avoidance)
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  3. #3
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    england
    Posts
    115
    hit and expertise are useless for survivbility if you want to get ranks / do higher damage go for it but for a survivbility stand point you basicaly want mastery > parry*X(where X is a multipler compared to dodge) = dodge > haste

    yellow sockets = mastery
    blue = stam mastery
    red = parry mastery

    runeforge should be SSG but SS works ok but kinda personal op i prefer less RNG when i tank so go for armor and stam (SSG)

    macro for working out Xtop one SSG, bottom SS)
    /run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end p=235.5*d/65.631440-((235.5/65.631440)*5.01-n) DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry for current dodge: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

    /run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end p=235.5*d/65.631440-((235.5/65.631440)*5.01-n)+4 DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry for current dodge: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

    any more questions feel free to pm me

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatehawk View Post
    hit and expertise are useless for survivbility if you want to get ranks / do higher damage go for it but for a survivbility stand point you basicaly want mastery > parry*X(where X is a multipler compared to dodge) = dodge > haste

    yellow sockets = mastery
    blue = stam mastery
    red = parry mastery

    runeforge should be SSG but SS works ok but kinda personal op i prefer less RNG when i tank so go for armor and stam (SSG)

    macro for working out Xtop one SSG, bottom SS)
    /run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end p=235.5*d/65.631440-((235.5/65.631440)*5.01-n) DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry for current dodge: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

    /run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end p=235.5*d/65.631440-((235.5/65.631440)*5.01-n)+4 DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry for current dodge: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

    any more questions feel free to pm me
    Hit and Expertise are not "useless".

    They help with a more reliable rune regen rate (especially if using blood tap), and increase the average healing of death strike (via scent of blood only proccing off hits, not dodges/parries/misses). Add this to a missed outbreak causing you to miss a possible deathstrike, and it all adds up.

    It seems as if the jury is out on which is definately better.

    More info here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-and-expertise
    Last edited by Sinner563; 2012-11-12 at 05:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Firstly: it's going to come down to how you and your raid need you to be. Like are you making enrage timers or not? Are your healers reacting fast enough (more stamina buys them more time)? Are they having trouble keeping you alive (more mastery/avoidance helps here)? Stuff like that.

    Secondly: don't look at them as a guideline usually. Most of them will be doing something odd/special/unique that fits their raid best to push hard modes. And if you're looking at WoL that indicates their intention is probably pushing out as much dps as possible which may not be your concern.
    Error 404: Signature not found.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatehawk View Post
    hit and expertise are useless for survivbility if you want to get ranks / do higher damage go for it but for a survivbility stand point you basicaly want mastery > parry*X(where X is a multipler compared to dodge) = dodge > haste
    Not only are hit and expertise NOT useless for survivability, I would argue that they are far more valuable than avoidance.

    The difference between reforging and regeming for hit and expertise vs avoidance is probably about ~4-7% avoidance, which isn't going to save you in any way from dying. Being hit and expertise capped, however, will immediately give you a more noticeable and substantial amount of RP, helping to greatly smooth out damage intake, via more death strikes from all the extra runes you regen through rune strikes.

    I would consider myself less geared than most dks who are 8/16 heroic and I have absolutely no issues with survivability at all in the current heroic content, when reforging for hit and expertise caps.

    @ the OP, try several methods and see which works best for you. If you try going for hit and expertise and like it more you can gem this way as well.

    Yellow - Mastery
    Blue - Hit Mastery
    Red - Expertise Mastery
    Last edited by burbon; 2012-11-12 at 06:14 PM.

  7. #7
    again, the gain from hit/exp capping is about 2% more mitigation. The only way to gain death strikes through hit/exp is by getting more SoB procs for more RP gain, but at 0% accuracy you still have a 61.4% chance to get all available stacks in a 3 melee window (proof here), so you are basically trading a decent chunk of avoidance to remove a 38.6% chance at losing a single stack of SoB in a given 3 melee window. Yes in the end hit/exp do give slight rp gen, but it's only slight and the extra mitigation from it is outweighed by the loss of avoidance stats. Hit/exp are great stats, but their best argument is the DPS gain, which is about 10%.

    If you are going for strictly for survivability, ignore hit/exp. If you are trying to boost DPS at the slight cost of survivability (it is slight. I don't want my statements above to incur a sense of "hit/exp are bad", because they're not) then go for hit/exp. There is no right answer, and both are perfectly viable for any content.
    Last edited by Reniat; 2012-11-12 at 10:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •