Thread: Laptop Issue

Laptop Issue

I've had a Dell Inspiron 1521 Laptop since 2007. The problem that is occuring right now is that it had said low battery and shut off the computer. Now the computer won't boot up at all. Here is the following that I have done:

1. Bought a new charger. Didn't work.
    2. Bought a new battery, correct model for my laptop. Didn't work.
    3. Left the laptop off for days to possibly cool off. Didn't work.

The laptop has a series of symbols on the right side, and every time I try to boot it up the battery symbol flashes orange. I always have a charger plugged into it as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's possible that the part of your laptop that transfers power to the battery has died

it could be a blown capacitor, if that's the case, a good (and i mean good, not geek squad) computer tech should be able to solder a new one on,

if the capacitors are fine, you will have to look into getting a new laptop, as this is not a replaceable component

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    it's possible that the part of your laptop that transfers power to the battery has died

it could be a blown capacitor, if that's the case, a good (and i mean good, not geek squad) computer tech should be able to solder a new one on,

if the capacitors are fine, you will have to look into getting a new laptop, as this is not a replaceable component
    Is there a way I can tell if this is the issue myself, or it's mandatory to just bring it to a tech at this stage?

On some laptops the charger circuit is on separate small matchbox sized board to make it replaceable because it tends to die easily from power spikes or wear and tear of battery connectors. Service manual or opening the laptop should answer that question pretty easily.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on how comfortable you are with taking your laptop apart

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    On some laptops the charger circuit is on separate small matchbox sized board to make it replaceable because it tends to die easily from power spikes or wear and tear of battery connectors. Service manual or opening the laptop should answer that question pretty easily.
    i dont think they are replaceable on a dell, but im not that familiar with the op's model

Quote Originally Posted by Laere View Post
    Is there a way I can tell if this is the issue myself, or it's mandatory to just bring it to a tech at this stage?
    Does the laptop start without any battery plugged in at all? If not, I'd say ditch it and ebay the charger/battery if you cant return those for a refund. Six years old midrange laptop is not worth getting to a store for repairs. You can still pull the HDD out from it and save your data if that's what you're worried about.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.