Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Does Soothing Mist makes healing boring?

Hey there.

So i have been lvling my monk and its now 85. When i do dungeons i go as healer since i think its really fun
    The only thing that bugs me tho is Soothing Mist

Soothing Mist is ofc the primary healing spell but i kinda feel that monk healing is very stricted and boring because of that since it feels like you´re stuck on one target when healing because its a Channeled spell.

For instance i cast this on the tank then suddenly one dps is taking dmg then i cast Soothing Mist on him but have to go back to do it on the tank again when he starts to take dmg again
    Soothing Mist quickly turns out to be a spell you pop on people here and there if theres no heavy AoE going on and I feel i waste the spells thats being supported by Soothing Mist if i cast them without using Soothing Mist first.

Maybe im doing something wrong but i would love to hear your oppinions and maybe what you could do instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuuu Drengen View Post
    Soothing Mist is ofc the primary healing spell but i kinda feel that monk healing is very stricted and boring because of that since it feels like you´re stuck on one target when healing because its a Channeled spell.
    At 90, you will almost never use Soothing Mist for anything besides casting Enveloping Mist and the rare Surging Mist. It doesn't scale very well after Cataclysm. You'll be focusing heavily on keeping renewing mist up and fistweaving 5-mans with Enveloping Mist being your Tank-saver.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    At 90, you will almost never use Soothing Mist for anything besides casting Enveloping Mist and the rare Surging Mist. It doesn't scale very well after Cataclysm. You'll be focusing heavily on keeping renewing mist up and fistweaving 5-mans with Enveloping Mist being your Tank-saver.
    It doesn't need to heal for massive amounts, it's purpose is to generate chi and heal people during low damage phases.

You don't even need to "fistweave" in 5 mans, just afk in the back and occasionally cast soothing / enveloping mist on the tank.

pretty much what TheWindWalker said... i rarely use soothing mists atm (pre 5.1), except to pop a quick instant surging or enveloping. Only other time is when there isnt much other damage than the tank and its a low mana way to fish for chi procs... which is getting slightly more efficient in 5.1...
    as far as monk healing being boring? For me its the least boring of the healing classes because theres just so damn much you can do... aoe heavy? keep RM on CD, spread with TFT, and use uplift to dump chi if theyre taking damage, if not use chiburst or chi wave for damage/heals, if crazy aoe burst damage, prepare with spreading RM early, stock some chi, uplift, uplift, chi brew, uplift, uplift, and revival if you need more (however its better used as a clutch save from rng deaths)
    bored from not too much damage going out? just fistweave with the occasional chi wave (5 mans primarily), talent for xuen and keep up TPx3 and SZx2 and you get a good dps/hps CD, which with the state of a large portion of dps in the 5 mans, you may find yourself in the mid to top of dps meters sadly...
    raids are another story, but check the sticky for more rotations/prio's etc... tbh, if you're bored mistweaving you may be doing it wrong...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I find fistweaving even more boring

I find fistweaving even more boring
    Really? Standing in one place to channel a spell to one person compared to dosing with a rotation while it indirectly heals? -.-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Really? Standing in one place to channel a spell to one person compared to dosing with a rotation while it indirectly heals? -.-
    Never been a big fan of healing through dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    You don't even need to "fistweave" in 5 mans, just afk in the back and occasionally cast soothing / enveloping mist on the tank.
    The DPS pugs I heal tend to take damage no matter what. I AFK and there's gonna be a dead rogue or warrior.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]

Soothing Mist is ofc the primary healing spell...
    No, it isn't.
    Never been a big fan of healing through dmg
    Don't play the spec then.

For a long time during the beta, you would be able to enveloping mist people without channeling soothing mists on them. (Example: You're channeling soothing mist on the tank and with 3 chi you can target someone else and put Enveloping on them). I really miss that, but apparently it was a bug. They eventually made a blue post about it, but I wish they never restricted it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Agree with this, fistweaving is much bigger than atonement, and I consider any mistweaver that doesn't fistweave (outside of raid content) to be sub-par and not utilizing their full potential.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    No, it isn't.

What is then?

And fistweaving isnt the only way to heal you know

It isn't but even keeping up 2 stacks of Serpent's Zeal and staying close enough to auto-attack while between "ranged healing" offers constant free healing.
    [What's half of minor?]

What is then?

It's by far the best way to heal on Elegon, Heroic Stone Guards, Garalon, and Amber-Shaper. Saying that "fistweaving isn't the only way" is like saying that using Uplift isn't "the only way." It doesn't matter if you like it or not, you're being ridiculously suboptimal in quite a few fights if you don't do it.

Deleted
    Okay is it possible to go back to talking about healing without the whole Fistweaving?

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Okay is it possible to go back to talking about healing without the whole Fistweaving?
    Well, you're complaining that the way you heal is boring. They're offering you alternatives, but you don't seem to like that either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arisoh View Post
    Well, you're complaining that the way you heal is boring. They're offering you alternatives, but you don't seem to like that either.
    I wanted to hear about alternatives while not being fistweavers but that is apperently no choise

Mistweavers have a total of three single target heals, all which revolve around Soothing Mists. 5 man dungeons are about using single target heals. There's no magical other single-target heals hiding in your spellbook or anything, that's it.

I wanted to hear about alternatives while not being fistweavers but that is apperently no choise
    You want to heal without healing in the ways a monk can heal... so play a different class.

Okay. So basically you want to heal but without our single-target style or our fistweaving style? You're in for a disappointment with the other healers because they usually have only one healing style. (Disc being the exception)
    [What's half of minor?]