Deleted

Which Keyboard: Logitech G110 or Microsoft Sidewinder X4?

Hey, I cannot decide which of the two keyboards to buy (Logitech G110 or Microsoft Sidewinder X4) and I decided to ask what you guys think.

I would love to hear your comments based on the following to help me decide:

- Quality
    - How noisy they are
    - Price fairness (Is it worth the money?)
    - Capability

And anything else you may find important to note. I am looking for a less noisy keyboard. I have tried the mechanical black widow keyboard in the past and I want to stay away from them since I type a lot (studying to be a programmer) as well as sharing a room and it is too much of a problem.

Thank you for your advice!

Microsoft Sidewinder X4:
    Info + Images

Logitech G110:
    Info + Images
    Last edited by mmoc2c0e080e79; 2012-11-11 at 06:52 PM.

Performance is a weird category. One of the few things I could think of that would affect performance is short actuation points and a smaller design so you wouldn't have to reach over it. :P

I do have the G110 (currently in the basement since I have a mechanical atm), and I was very pleased with it as far as being a membrane keyboard. It was a lot of things, and I liked it a lot - but worth its price, it was not.

I would go with the Sidewinder X4.

Deleted
    Thanks and I agree with performance being an odd category so I removed it. Not sure what I was thinking. Sidewinder is a lot cheaper which attracted me to it in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the Sidewinder X6 (I preferred it for the nicer media keys and better positioning of macro keys) Also the numpad being removable and having the ability to work on either side of the keyboard is surprisingly useful, (although granted not what I bought it for).

Anyway on topic, I'd take the X4 over the G110 if money is even remotely a consideration for you.

The only two things I can think of that the G110 has an advantage in is feet, and I'm not even sure that that applies to the X4, (the X6 doesn't have rear feet to prop the back up)

Anyway I find the X6 to be a very nice keyboard, which is easy to use at any angle.

Microsoft keyboards are in general very underrated and pretty cheap for the quality.

Pretty much the only reason to buy a Logitech keyboard (in my opinion) is for the LCD screen, and the G110 doesn't even have one.

PS. for Noise the X6 passed the sleeping girlfriend test.... (Girlfriend in the same room, trying to get to sleep, once she got to sleep it didn't wake her up, nor did I get yelled at in the morning for keeping her up.) I can only imagine that the X4 would do the same.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-11-12 at 09:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    PS. for Noise the X6 passed the sleeping girlfriend test.... (Girlfriend in the same room, trying to get to sleep, once she got to sleep it didn't wake her up, nor did I get yelled at in the morning for keeping her up.) I can only imagine that the X4 would do the same.
    I found this in particular very useful since I have exactly the same issue in mind lol. Thank you for the advice and I may look into the other models of the sidewinder.

FWIW, the advantages with the G110; It's not loud but not quiet. If you punch the keys down heavily, it will sound more, but it's definitely possible to type quiet with it. Its media controls are, bar none, the best I've come across, including the K90 (taste, I guess). Its keys are smaller than I was used to, but you get used to that. The different colours of backlighting are good when you have macroed passwords/commands/photoshop/gaming to different profiles. The anti-Windows-key function is still the best implementation I've come across. It does not have that annoying LCD-display that most more expensive Logitech keyboards has.
    Apart from not being mechanical and it being not priceworthy (because it not being mechanical) there aren't much downsides with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been using the sidewinder kb for a few months now. Its great but nothing spectacular. No lights have dimmed/burned out. No wearing of any keys, even with constant use. Nothing bad to report at all but nothing to praise either really. Macro keys are nice too. Tho I wouldnt repurchase the sidewinder mouse. A few months of use and its getting wear on the left side where your pointer finger goes.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Deleted
    Typing from a G110 right now, absolutely love the media keys, bit weak on the LED's and (limited) colours but apart from that it's solid.

Deleted
    I use the G110 and it's a decent keyboard but I would still recommend the X4 because of the anti-ghosting which the G110 does not have.

You should choose G110 has it is very decent keyboard than X4.

Deleted
    I'm annoyed my G110 (considering the price) can't type something like this "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" while holding both shift buttons without looking like this "THEQCKBRWFXJVERTHELAZYG".

Deleted
    Just got one extra question. Does the Microsoft Sidewinder come with two audio plugs in the back so I can plug in my Headphones? For some reason I can't find this out on the internet...

Also I would love to get the G110 but I do not think its worth it since I doubt I would ever need all those extra keys and a usb at the back. My main concern with the G110 was the smaller keys and whether it is noisier or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I'm annoyed my G110 (considering the price) can't type something like this "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" while holding both shift buttons without looking like this "THEQCKBRWFXJVERTHELAZYG".
    Fixed on G510

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharrax View Post
    Just got one extra question. Does the Microsoft Sidewinder come with two audio plugs in the back so I can plug in my Headphones? For some reason I can't find this out on the internet...

Also I would love to get the G110 but I do not think its worth it since I doubt I would ever need all those extra keys and a usb at the back. My main concern with the G110 was the smaller keys and whether it is noisier or not.
    G110 is not loud at all. I don't know about the audio plugins for X4, sorry. However you could invest in this:

USB 2.0 External Sound Card ~$2

It's actually decent considering how cheap it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Fixed on G510
    Also an extra $40 compared to the x4 or G110
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-11-17 at 03:55 AM.