Transfering WoW harddrives

So I Just bought a cheap 60gb SSD and I was wondering If I can just transfer WoW from my 1Tb black WD HDD to the SSD will it be okay or do i have to reinstall it?

Deleted
    No need to reinstall, just copy-pasting the folder works.

Deleted
    You can just copy-paste.. Should work.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azngamer101 View Post
    So I Just bought a cheap 60gb SSD and I was wondering If I can just transfer WoW from my 1Tb black WD HDD to the SSD will it be okay or do i have to reinstall it?
    Are you putting the OS on the SSD?

If so, you may run in to problems with the size of the game. While it may fit on to the SSD, patching will require more space than the folder normally lists when the patcher decompresses the files before installation. This can swell to be larger than the final size.
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-11-11 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup copy & paste.

I wouldn't run WoW on an SSD. I'd run it off a regular platter drive. I have a 240gb that holds the OS and apps that can't install on other drives, but everything else is stored on a 1tb platter drive. Everything still runs insanely fast (and boot up is 7 seconds), but I have plenty of free space on the SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can just drag it but you're way better off putting your OS on that drive and they likely won't both fit on a 60g.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

20gb for wow and 20gb for windows I don't see a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Deleted
    only real benefit to wow on a SSD is loading screen times, Keep wow on you normal drives.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
    The problem is that it is rarely ever JUST the OS and WoW on the drive. The space needed by WoW isn't static in the patching process when files decompress.

You really don't gain all that much by putting WoW on a SSD other than load times. Since there aren't many and it really isn't THAT important, you're pretty much better off just putting WoW on a secondary drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't end up that way in in reality. Every time you download a WoW patch, for example, it goes into the WoW folder temporarily. There's also things like screenshot and addons that can tack on more space. Windows, too, can be variable.

I just don't think it's realistic for a 60gig. I was having problems before with an 80gig. I had a few other programs on the drive as well, but they were small. It just adds up really fast and you don't really want the drive skimming its max capacity constantly.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't end up that way in in reality. Every time you download a WoW patch, for example, it goes into the WoW folder temporarily. There's also things like screenshot and addons that can tack on more space. Windows, too, can be variable.

I just don't think it's realistic for a 60gig. I was having problems before with an 80gig. I had a few other programs on the drive as well, but they were small. It just adds up really fast and you don't really want the drive skimming its max capacity constantly.
    Fair enough. I use a 128gb SSD so I hadn't noticed any issues. Now I think about it though I may move wow back to my HDD as I am a little paranoid about unnecessary writes on the SSD.

Nice sig as well :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Thanks for the Advice I have 3 SSDs I have my os/programs on my 60gb solid 3 I have a 240gb vertex 3 for steam and i just bought the one mentioned above just as a wow drive pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azngamer101 View Post
    Thanks for the Advice I have 3 SSDs I have my os/programs on my 60gb solid 3 I have a 240gb vertex 3 for steam and i just bought the one mentioned above just as a wow drive pretty much.
    Yeah in that case, just drag and drop the folder onto your new drive

| twitch | bsky
    |