Thread: xbox360

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

xbox360

hope this is right place, well i want to buy an xbox but unsure if i should get the xbox360 slim with 4gb or the more expensive one with 250 gb or whatever it is.. will the 4gb version be enough??

I still have an old school launch 20gb, and that isn't enough space. It also depends on what you want to do with it.
    If you plan on a bunch of Arcade games, you might want the 250. If you are just going mainly for saves from games on a disk, 4gb. But even with all the DLC, the 4gb might be worthless quick.
    I know installing the HD textures for Battlefield 3 is 4gb. That is an optional install though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It all depends really on weather you want to connect it to the internet to download stuff, or if you just want to play games you buy from a retail store.

Deleted
    Games load much faster when you install them to the Xbox's hard drive. This takes up considerable space if you have a few games you frequently play. Thus I'd recommend going for the 250gig if you can stretch to it.

I don't like recommending people the more expensive option, but 4GB of storage simply is not enough, sorry.
    Do you really need to buy a console at all, at this time? The new generation is said to be announced soon, so expect a pricedrop, or hope the next-gen one is backwards compatible.

Depends on what you're using it for, but in a lot of situations, it's not enough.

A decent example would be with Halo: ODST or Halo: Reach. You couldn't host a Firefight match because 4Gb's of data for whatever reason that is unknown to mean is not enough.

I have the basic Arcade 360slim that started with 4Gb of internal space. I eventually bought a third-party 280GB harddrive that slotted in the 360 without a problem, and I've actually store all my games onto the drive so far. One obvious benefit to installing games tot he Harddrive is loading screen times are usually quicker since the console is reading off of the drive and not the disc.

The way I understand it, is the disc is still required to run games even when installed to the harddrive, but to "prevent" piracy and iso's from being run on the consoles, they console requires the disc more or less as a verification that you have the game by matching some sort of code / serial number of the disc and the installed copy.

With my copy of Final Fantasy XIII, i noticed a noticeable improvement when switching discs without needing to shut the game down.

DLC content for games also takes up a decent amount of space.

TLDR Version: I'd say yes, grab the 250Gb, but it will most likely be cheaper to just buy the 4GB 360, and buy a third-party 360 drive from somewhere like Newegg or Amazon, or several smaller USB drives to save games / DLC content onto. As far as an external harddrive goes, it may require a bit of computer trickery to get it to work, but it is possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post
    TLDR Version: I'd say yes, grab the 250Gb, but it will most likely be cheaper to just buy the 4GB 360, and buy a third-party 360 drive from somewhere like Newegg or Amazon, or several smaller USB drives to save games / DLC content onto. As far as an external harddrive goes, it may require a bit of computer trickery to get it to work, but it is possible.
    Perfectly viable option! Considering how old the 360 is now also, chances are you can find some cheap 2nd hand consoles, or harddrive parts for a very tiny sum.

I got a Xmas deal 2 years ago on my 360s for only $120. I bought a 250GB drive from Amazon for $75 where Micro$oft at the time wanted something around $120.

Another thing that I remember that I use to do on my old white 360, I used a generation 1 iPod that was 80Gb as an "External" usb connected drive for everything I had. At the time, it was enough for my DLC/Saved games, and laptop's backup. Where now, I need a TB just for backups... >,>

15+ Year Old Account
    If you do buy the 4Gb model, make sure your grab a couple of 16 GB flash drives as well. 4GB is going to be gone instantly. You need that much just to play Halo's multiplayer. As far as I know, the max of an external hard drive that can be read by Xbox is 16GB, at least according to what I have read and personal experience as my 75 GB external refuses to read more than that amount, and it can only detect a certain number of devices at a time so if you are going to store a bunch of stuff or don't want to switch drives constantly the 250GB model might be a good idea.

Since this thread exists, anyone know if I am correct about what I just said? Can the 360 only read an external drive up to 16GB and can it only detect two additional devices at the same time? I know on mine it refuses to see my third external drive unless I unplug one of the other ones and then go back into the system memory screen.

I need to recheck this. But. Doesn't Halo 4 Console Edition have a 380Gb Harddrive with updated firmware and hardware of the same specs along side with the newest version of the headsets with better singal recievers/sound and controllers that have individual buttons for the D-Pad instead of the one button for 4 directions?

You do realize that the Xbox's and PS3s both use 2.5" HDDs, a.k.a. laptop harddrives and are fairly easy to swap out,..right?

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Since this thread exists, anyone know if I am correct about what I just said? Can the 360 only read an external drive up to 16GB and can it only detect two additional devices at the same time? I know on mine it refuses to see my third external drive unless I unplug one of the other ones and then go back into the system memory screen.
    I was curious to test.

So I plugged 3 USB flash drives, my ipod, and my USB headset, computer transfer cable, and controller charge, USB phone transfer cable. (I have a USB Splitter.)

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    You do realize that the Xbox's and PS3s both use 2.5" HDDs, a.k.a. laptop harddrives and are fairly easy to swap out,..right?
    You need an adapter / converter of some sort the will switch from the harddrives SATA input to the consoles placement and connections

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post
    I need to recheck this. But. Doesn't Halo 4 Console Edition have a 380Gb Harddrive with updated firmware and hardware of the same specs along side with the newest version of the headsets with better singal recievers/sound and controllers that have individual buttons for the D-Pad instead of the one button for 4 directions?
    320 GB HDD, but everything else is correct. Also costs $350 though, worth it though for the second controller, headset, and other bonus stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The new generation is said to be announced soon, so expect a pricedrop, or hope the next-gen one is backwards compatible.
    I thought that was why the consoles where currently only $100 before Blackfriday / Holiday sales? O.o

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Perfectly viable option! Considering how old the 360 is now also, chances are you can find some cheap 2nd hand consoles, or harddrive parts for a very tiny sum.
    Funny story... My school used the first generation of xbox 360's for their robots in electrical engineering courses because they where cheaper than buying specific individual parts to make them... It's amusing to see an xbox 360 with tracks running around on it's own with infrared sensors to avoid hitting things at 3 MPH...

well thanks for answers guys, looks like i will buy a 250gig version then, and when will the new one come out? hope its not in a few months or something

Well, seeing as the consoles are int he range of $100-$200, each controller being different than anything other marketed controller (And in my opinion, better.) for $50-$60, each headset being $40-$80 depending which one you buy from Micro$oft, and the 280Gb harddrives somewhere in that $120 range also from Micro$oft, Halo 4 Limited Edition for $80, The next 3 DLC drops for Halo 4 for free when placed at $15 each. I'd say its one hell of a deal.

Average total cost of all that is around $565 USD.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 12:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mixen View Post
    well thanks for answers guys, looks like i will buy a 250gig version then, and when will the new one come out? hope its not in a few months or something
    They haven't even really confirmed they're working on the console. Just a series of leaks with it's project name and that major studios are testing the hardware; Microsoft Project Durango

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    If you do buy the 4Gb model, make sure your grab a couple of 16 GB flash drives as well. 4GB is going to be gone instantly. You need that much just to play Halo's multiplayer. As far as I know, the max of an external hard drive that can be read by Xbox is 16GB, at least according to what I have read and personal experience as my 75 GB external refuses to read more than that amount, and it can only detect a certain number of devices at a time so if you are going to store a bunch of stuff or don't want to switch drives constantly the 250GB model might be a good idea.

I suspect this is more becuase the XBOX only reads a FAT32 filesystem and not the NTFS filesystem which would normally be used on larger drives.

If this is indeed the problem it is easily solved by downloading a 3rd party program to format your larger drive with FAT32. (Windows won't do it by default)

you will def need a 250gig, in order to even get halo 4 multiplayer to play you need to install it to the drive, reach wouldnt let u play campaign w/ multiple people w.o it etc.

I too was asking this same question not long ago, I ended up going with a 360 slim because I found a deal, 320gb console and 4 games for $299, I got lucky I guess.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I did not intend to turn this into a 360-Halo thread to the OP's question, I was was purely giving an example with what came to my mind first. Spec Ops in Modern Warfare has the same requirement though, I'd imagine DLC content for Battlefield does as well, looking up, 4Gb's just for HD textures for BF3 before DLC and updates. Saved game slots, other data you might store (Netflix I believe installs the movies to your drive, plays it, than deletes it after your que is done instead of the literal definition of streaming.)

That general idea is there though, 4Gb is not enough for much of anything other than paying $150 for just a social networking and communication box.