So, I'm a level 67 Brewmaster. Back in BC I played a warrior tank, but never tanked raids, only heroics. People normally followed directions pretty well, were cautious, and for the most part, were polite.
I've been tanking since level 15, and it's been...a nightmare. There have been good runs, but there have also been some really, really bad runs. I used to play a healer - I understand how much crap healers take. This has been infinitely worse. What I want to know is...should I continue to expect this kind of treatment through to 90?
- People complaining that I'm pulling extra mobs/bosses when we "don't need to". I'm there for XP, using my Monk XP buff, and want to get the most out of it. It takes an extra minute to kill this stuff and it's usually in our path. I've literally had people harass me so badly that I've left groups, only to have them follow me onto my server and tell me I should kill myself.
- People complaining that I'm not pulling enough at once. I roll with a healer when I queue, so I know how much I/he can handle based on the dungeon and the mobs' abilities...and I pull A LOT at once. Complaining is one thing, but most take it farther and begin chain pulling themselves, usually through body pulls, then lose it when I don't save them from a 2 shot.
- People being general rude pricks, then chain pulling mobs so we can't get out of combat long enough for a vote kick.
- People complaining that I'm not going fast enough while barely cracking 1000dps. Most stand around trying to pull more mobs while never DPSing what I'm already tanking.
- Hunters who leave taunt on on their pets, then ignore me when I politely ask them to turn it off, multiple times. Pets taunt on bosses with conal abilities, boss spins around, group takes damage. "lrn 2 tank"
All of the above is usually accompanied by name calling and tons of people who just want to waste my time.
They all seem to feel like telling me how to do my job is 100% fine, but if I mention the fact that I'm doing 75% of the damage then they freak out.
Typical bad run:
I enter the dungeon, buff, and pull my first group. Immediately people are already on me about making sure we "do this fast". At that point I'd been dealing with morons run after run, so my healer comments that it would be easier to pull more if they did more DPS... IMMEDIATE. INSANITY. The DPS monk in the group decides to "show us what bad DPS really is" and proceeds, for the rest of the run, to not participate AT ALL (as in zero DPS), while following the healer spamming /dance and /joke. Every time I try to kick her she pulls something before we can drop the vote kick "in combat" debuff then runs backwards, forcing me to pick it up or wipe us. We finally get to the end and are at the boss. Once again, she pulls it, then takes off heading for the entrance. The entire group bitches me out for being a "double douchebag" because I didn't pick up the boss. I was busy cleaning up pop from my keyboard, watching the screen. Once the warlock is safely kiting the boss, the monk runs back and begins dancing next to me. Once I'm able to get back and ensure my keyboard isn't screwed, I finally convince them that she's been absolutely horrible and we kick her. Immediately following they say, "NOW FOR THE HEALER" and kick my healer. igiveup.
And that's typical. I run into people who abuse the pull/vote kick in combat debuff over and over, knowing that we can't get rid of them. Yep, I have put in a ticket before for this, and I was told to report them through the right click > report feature in game...which makes no sense, because they weren't swearing or spamming. They're just being dicks.
So TL;DR I love monk tanking. Very fun. People are jerks. Will it get better? It wasn't like this when I used to tank.